Search the forum,

Discuss Help, New Boiler or Fix in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mantishead

Hello,

I own a 4 bedroom student flat which has 8 radiators. Room sizes are reasonably sizeable but I am unsure as the exact BTU calculation.

The central heating system currently has a Worcester 230 boiler which is quite old, but I understand has been serviced. The boiler is frequently overheating and cutting out. It requires an hour to recover and then it can be used again.

My letting manager, also a gas engineer, has said it may be fixed though he believes it would eventually break, possibly quite quickly. He has suggested replacing the boiler entirely and has quotes £1400. When asked how much a so called temporary fix would be, he suggested around half.

I spoke with another engineer who suggested another option of a Biasi boiler with a total cost including installation of £700. Though this seemed very low indeed.

Finally I spoke with another firm who recommended a Baxi boiler, at a cost of around £500. They recommended an engineer who then said they wouldn't use anything other than Worcester. They also suggested the £700 would certainly not be satisfactory.

I feel like I am being given the complete run-around. My gut is telling me that £1200 - £1400 is probably the target budget, though I would like to know which boiler to go for and more importantly can I trust the engineer. Should I be asking for warranties, parts and labour etc.

Thanks for any help in this area..

Personally where I am £1500-2000 is about the average for a combi swap, the Worcester 230 is a discontinued product and although the spares will still be stocked by merchants your in all fairness probably better off with a new SEDBUK 'A' rated energy efficient combi which could save you money on your gas bill rather than sticking with your SEDBUK 'G' rated unit.

Worcester for worcester isnt a bad swap installer wise if you pick a Worcester accredited installer, as he will probably have experience of the 230, also you will get a longer period of guarantee with a WAI plumber.

My personal favourite boilers at the moment are the Alpha CDC and Baxi Duotec Platinum both come with 5 year guarantees and give great flowrates on HW and arent a pain in the rse to fit.

Happy hunting

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not up to a tenant to install or service a boiler. That's the landlord's responsiblity. The tenant is only liable for the energy used (gas in this case) so it's in the tenant's interest to have an efficient and well serviced boiler.

I must admit I only found this out a few weeks ago.

get a baxi duotec or if you want cheaper and more reliable a potterton performa from a landlords point of view,its reliable,works well and parts are reasonable and readily available, about £1000-£1250 depending on whats involved the output of the boiler needed they come in 24_30 kw but the prices quoted are in wales so may vary district to district

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help, New Boiler or Fix in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock