Search the forum,

Discuss Ideal vs Worcester boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davidsandy

We've had a couple of quotes for a new boiler installation in our home. One quote from a Worcester installer who recommended the Greenstar 28CDI.

The other quote (our preferred installer) says he wouldn't touch Worcester with a barge pole and recommended Ideal Logic Plus 30HE instead and said they were much more reliable.

Which? Guide indicates Worcesters are the most highly rated but is this just because they have lots of models and a large market share.

Really struggling to decide which to go with! Any advice/ recommendations welcome please?

It's down to you but if you would like to go with ideal go with the vouge series 10 year warrenty if installed to mis

But Worcester are good also 28cdi is a good boiler to

Ask your preferred installer to quote for a 32kw Ideal Vogue, price wise it's more in line with that 28CDI, better components than a Logic Plus as well as having a ten year warranty.

Vogue has stainless steel heat exchanger, can't remember if the WB does...

Thanks for the guidance! In your opinion is there an underlying reason why certain installers try and stay well away from what appear to be market leading products e.g. Worcesters? Other than installers just have their own personal preferences over a period of time?

Both boilers would be on my shortlist assuming the property and your lifestyle is suitable.

Installers are human, and if they have a few bad experiences with a boiler (or the rep, or the after-sales team) then they tend to look for alternatives. Equally, if they become experienced in fitting a particular brand/model, then they learn all its little foibles, establish a good relationship with the manufacturers technical team, and this is generally to the advantage of the householder.

If you have a good relationship with your installer, or they come recommended by someone who's opinion you trust, my advice would be to go with your installer's preference. Not because they are necessarily "right", just that they are better placed to do you a good job than if you insist on them fitting a boiler which they are less experienced with, or have a poor opinion of.

On the other hand, if the installer is poor, then no amount of worrying about brand will avoid an unhappy outcome.

Rays advice is always sound. I would go with your preferred installer also their preferred choice as everyone has a different option on whats the best they can provide a quality service for a product they have chosen to install

As a Worcester Accredited installer they would be my suggestion. There customer service is fantastic in Sussex/ South West London. I cant comment on other parts of the country.

I have installed an Ideal Vogue combi which was donated by Williams nearly 3 years ago in my parents house and it has never missed a beat, if I was to defect to another combi it would be the Vogue. I have never had to speak to the Ideal customer help line so cant comment on them.

The fact is nowadays appliances are so complicated/ built on a very tight cost per item basis that anything you buy can go wrong and quite often does at the wrong time. The bitterness begins when the backup from the manufacturer is poor.

Just make sure what ever you have fitted is exactly to the manufacturers installation instructions.

Kev

And excuse my ignorance, but why is an aluminium better for heat exchange? I assume as does not rust??

Stainless steel is less likely to rot so expect a longer boiler life because of it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ideal vs Worcester boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have recently moved into a property which has a Worcester Greenstar Highflow 440 Standalone Combi gas boiler. This appears to be a relatively old unit however, it is still in great working condition and has been serviced on a regular basis. I'd like to add a Nest Thermostat to control the...
Replies
Views
J
We’re thinking of replacing our veritable Ideal Mexico Floor Standing Boiler (installed by me in 1985 and pretty much reliable ever since!) with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30CDi boiler. Question: How noisy is it? We’re OK with the noise from our old boiler but we’re worried about any...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
    • Agree
Hi all, We've bought a property that has a Worcester Greenstar 37CDi boiler installed, with an old British Gas RS2 Thermostat linked to it. I'm not clued up on boilers in any way, though I'm quite handy with mechanics and always like to learn how things work. The problem: The internal Bosch...
Replies
Views
Philip B
P
We are experiencing an issue with CH short cycling on a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 25i ErP boiler. From a cold start the boiler fires for only ~25 seconds before exceeding the set CH flow temperature and entering it's 3 minute short cycle programme. As soon as the short cycle programme kicks in...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock