Search the forum,

Discuss Sub Contracting PLEASE HELP ME in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

villa_tom

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Hi all

Just set up on my own and I am going the subbie route to kick start myself while I build up my client base. Been on all the tests to sub to BG and have uniform, laptop, paperwork etc. However it is taking forever to start had all my gear for a month now and still waiting:(
The agency I am with are doing all then can (i think:confused:) to try and speak to BG and I am still waiting

Have any of you out there had any dealings with agencies and BG and if so what would your advice be?

Also do any of you know the names of other agencies. I am with RIG and Barker Ross at the moment but will sign up to as many as possible.

Much love

Tom:cool:

due respect tom,

nowt comes to those who wait,

go out in the time you are loosing by waiting and knock on a few doors, if it was just a case of putting your name on a list and getting called to turn up monday morning for work..we would be all doing it.

good luck.

would try dealing direct with companies like BG

agencies are used as a last resort,a lot are parasites and a lot of companies use them as a last resort as to expensive,you will end up getting work only when company is really busy and treat like rubbish on their shoes,from both sides

Do your own leg work as said,get out there knocking on doors your self

imho

Im subbing for BG through RIG too, the only thing Ive found is that it takes a while to get paid but it does come through eventually.

I am subbing direct for BG, works ok.

Try job center website, search for ACS
Try agencies CEN, Hays
Sun newspaper job website

Hope this helps

Thanks to all who posted - it was a big help

Got the call on friday and should start with BG within 3-5 days, just waiting on my Telegan etc to arrive and have my meet and greet with the SM.

I know its a long hard self-employed road ahead, but i've got to start somewhere

Cheers all

Tom

Thanks to all who posted - it was a big help

Got the call on friday and should start with BG within 3-5 days, just waiting on my Telegan etc to arrive and have my meet and greet with the SM.

I know its a long hard self-employed road ahead, but i've got to start somewhere

Cheers all

Tom

good luck tom, hope it works out for you, keep us up to date

Just spoke to the SM and start tomorrow, got a few days "buddy training" to learn the way they want things doing and then start proper on monday.

Thanks all

Good for you Villa Tom!!

Hardly ever read of anyone finding a paid job on here.

Best of luck!!

Great stuff villa_tom. You will need get used to wearing gloves if you don't already. Their electrical isolation procedure is wee bit over the top as well.
You will probably be on 3-4 jobs per day until the SM signs you off on 3 jobs before putting you in for the QC check. Once the QC inspector is happy, the reigns are off.

I was just reading through some of my old threads and found this one. It seem a life time ago that I was sat at home waiting for "the call" to start. But I took the advice offered and rang BG myself and started a few days later. I also spoke to a few people round my way and drummed up some extra work - not much but I get a few jobs a week I can squeeze in a a saturday morning, like I say its not much but it pays for all the diesel I'm using going from b/ham to Kettering everyday. I just wanted to say thank you really to everyone who posted and gave me a kick up the backside really. I'm subbing to BG now through an agency but will probably get riid of them in a few months and sub direct. Got signed off by the SM and the QC and do enough work to earn a great wage really. Its seemed a very desperate place after I lost my job a Connaught but its all good. On another note all 7 gas lads on the contract I was on when we lost our jobs are all working again so its all good really.

Thanks all

Tom

Great to hear some decent news in these doom and gloom times. Hope things continue to go well for you and the others.

It is a strange old world now.
Times are hard but certain people are still spending. Had the best January for many years with 2 full installs and 9 boiler changes along with other stuff. Booked up until mid March.
Long may it continue.

It is a strange old world now.
Times are hard but certain people are still spending. Had the best January for many years with 2 full installs and 9 boiler changes along with other stuff. Booked up until mid March.
Long may it continue.

Fair play to you. Hope it stays the same for a long time. People with money will always have money and people with nothing...well, you know.

Might have to ask you for a sub if time get hard my way. lol

Hi Hi just wanted to say thanks for all your good posts and would like to ask you how easy you found it approaching BG for subbie work. Iv got my ACS exams next week and all being well i will have CCN1 CEN1 CKR1 HTR1 CPA1. When you approached them did you have any experience. I have been working with a BG subbie to build my portfolio but he has been there for donkies and cant remember that far back :) too much sniffing the gas i think! so he cant really help. I have transport and FGA and been building my tool bag up over the last few months. My main concern is BG or any big firms wanting years of experience before even considering me for there service work.

Thanks

Cant remember if they asked how much experience I had, but I had to do an online test, then go down to one of their training centers and do a practical assesment whilst someone watched over me. Which involved general safety checks and fault finding on a boiler. Once All that was passed, on my first day with them I was followed around by one of their senior engineers to make sure I knew what I was doing.

Im sure on their website there is an application form you can fill in and they will get back to you.

hope you have deep pockets i tried the bg subbing but after two weeks gave up on it this was in november im still trying to get some money

Odd steve?!

I sub for them 1/2 days a week. I submit my hours on friday eve and the money is always in my bank with 5 days without fail. Been like that week in week out for 7 months now?!

I do installations for them though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sub Contracting PLEASE HELP ME in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock