Search the forum,

Discuss Cold Water Stroage Tank Mystery in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikejhughes

Last November we had been away for a week and we came home to find half the bedroom ceiling on the floor due to water damage. On inspection - the cold water storage tank had overflowed. Luckily we are insured for this and someone came out and changed the fitting - new ball cock and valve etc - so job seemed done. Two weeks later just when I was going to start repairing the ceiling - same thing again.

I also have British Gas cover for plumbing - so called them out - They replaced everything again - lowered the ball cock action to way below the overflow pipe and off they went. The same thing has happened twice since - and both times British Gas have been called to sort.

It has been weeks since anything happened - but was away for a week again last week and the same thing has happened again - I had turned both hot water and central heating off before going away in case it was that causing a problem..

Any thoughts - I had hoped British Gas could have sorted - they seem to be scratching their heads over this?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Its probably a daft idea but with the ball valve etc being new and therefore presumably perfect I am wondering if there is debris (if that is possible) in the supply that could be being flushed into the ball cock's valve and preventing it sealing. I ask because at times brown water does come out of the kitchen tap here.

Alternatively could there be any animals getting into the attic and for some peculiar reason jammimg the ball cock down. The cold water tank here is covered to stop dust etc getting into the water but such would also serve to prevent strange animals getting at the ball cock. As mentioned by the previous poster is the overflow blocked?

Are you sure it is an overflow rather than a leak?

Thanks - I have caught the water coming out of the overflow in last couple of weeks - so that seems to be fine.

Thanks

I will check if there is any debris - Water is very clear though.

Thanks

Mike, Ask them to increase the size of the overflow pipe to say 32 mm . It should be fitted below the height of ball valve. This will allow time to identify reason without getting flooded. Good Luck

it seems the cistern is filling to quick for the overflow pipe to discharge it, That seems to be the problem, Get your levels correct and possibly fit a larger overflow

Have you got a mixer shower/one of those bath taps with a shower hose on??, it sounds like mains water is back filling the cylinder and tank up through the feed pipe on the bottom of the tank.
coil on the cylinder could be pinholed and the heating tank is higher than the cold water tank and is also back filling the tank.

Could be a few things. The overflow upgrade is a good idea, in I think Scotland that is what is normally done. They have 22mm as a first warning pipe then a 32mm as a main overflow pipe.

You can also get overflow problems on unsupported plastic tanks causing the ball valve to vibrate.

You can also get problems with water pressure picking up during the night.

The same if the ball valve arm is to short or the float not big enough or the ballvalve orifice and seating are the wrong size for the pressure.

You can get problems with leaking cross linkages somewhere in the system.

You can get problems as said if there is a leaking coil and the central heating header tank is higher than the main storage tank.

You can get problems off the cross connection on washing machines, dish washers and so on.

Its a case of looking at all the options if its not obvious.

are you sure its the cwsc ?
sounds like lots of replacement parts so far - have you proved 100% its the problem ?

Could be a few things. The overflow upgrade is a good idea, in I think Scotland that is what is normally done. They have 22mm as a first warning pipe then a 32mm as a main overflow pipe.

You can also get overflow problems on unsupported plastic tanks causing the ball valve to vibrate. Normaly acompanied by a loud groaning noise, would it cause the ballvalve to pass enough water to overcome a 22mm overflow? unlikely In this case.

You can also get problems with water pressure picking up during the night.
True, but its a new ball valve and they will take 15 ish bar?

The same if the ball valve arm is to short or the float not big enough or the ballvalve orifice and seating are the wrong size for the pressure.
Again, its a new ball valve so unlikely in this case.

You can get problems with leaking cross linkages somewhere in the system.
This is where my money is.
You can get problems as said if there is a leaking coil and the central heating header tank is higher than the main storage tank.
Would probably be filling up the tank constantly rather than ocasionaly.

You can get problems off the cross connection on washing machines, dish washers and so on.
Where my money is as above.

Its a case of looking at all the options if its not obvious.

Nice post Bernie as per all your posts:), Iam not trying to contradict anything youve just said, merely trying to narrow down the possibilitys for the original poster.

Mike, Ask them to increase the size of the overflow pipe to say 32 mm . It should be fitted below the height of ball valve. This will allow time to identify reason without getting flooded. Good Luck

That is right. Getting a much bigger size of overflow pipe can fix this problem. Also, you can lower the pressure of water going to your heater and cooler.

do you have any thermo blending/mixing valves? most blending valves are not designed to work with a pressure difference between the hot and cold of more than 1 bar. i have known this to cause domestic tank to overflow.

do you have a leak in your roof above your tank?

Had a similar problem the other day - customer was filling the kids paddling pool from a hose pipe
attached to the kitchen mixer tap.
cwsc was overflowing like niagra, but the paddling pool was nice & warm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold Water Stroage Tank Mystery in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock