Search the forum,

Discuss Startup tools advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Brain

Firstly, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I had a quick scout around and couldn't find anything so here we go..........

I'm about to embark on a bit of a career change and am starting a Level 2 Plumbing & Heating Course shortly.
I'm going to do this two evenings a week in College, help out with a Plumber (friend) and Gas Fitter (family) for hopefully at least a day or so a week, whilst still fitting my bread and butter self-employed drawing work around it all.
Over the years of renovating our house from bare shell upwards (did all Plumbing & C.H. work myself - still works!) I have bought a fair amount of tools and already have a tidy amount of Plumbing specific tools that will hopefully be put to use when I eventually get to grips with my new career.

I've always tried to buy the best tool I can afford for the job and gone for a better quality/name, always shunning anything that would be classed as cheap and cheerful.

My first of two questions would be "What would you recommend as a bare minimum of tools required to cope with most jobs I'm likely to come across?"
As mentioned above I may well have a lot of the basic tools, but am hoping to buy a bit here and a bit there as I go along ready for when the big day comes.

My second question would be "On the subject of quality - Are there any tools that needn't be of such high quality?"
I only ask as my friend and family differ somewhat on that, with one saying that some tools can just be cheap and cheerful as they're either not used too often or when they're shot it's just as easy to go out and buy another. The other train of though is buy as best as you can afford; but is this really cost effective if that particular tool is sitting around for ages only getting used every now and then?

Apologies for going on, but if anyone's still awake at this point and help/advice on what you reckon I'll need would be gratefully received.

things like chisels, building trowels, screw drivers that get abused and other tools that used for one off jobs i tend to buy the cheap toolstation stuff.

Adjustables, grips, pipe slices, blow torch, drill driver, sds drill etc, things that are used every job, your bread and butter living, your trade tools, those are the things to invest in.

If you have the basic kit already, wait until you need something to buy it. When your working with your family and mate, see what tools they use day in day out and look to invest in some good quality

All the best for the future and good luck

If you have not even started level 2 yet, then i wouldn't worry about tools at all for the first year, if you already have basic hand tools already.

Spend £30 odd on the course literature, i am not sure which author they recommend these days, may be best to wait for direction on that from your college tutor, but you could always fire an email off to the college or ask Admissions.

Start getting tooled up in your 4th to 5th year, typically when you start earning a proper wage.

Good luck

Im not one that enjoys spending money on tools, but the fundamentals have to be good quality as said. number 1 priority Radio, Makita DAB:punk: Lol. Spanners need to be decent, I have aload of Bachos Ive collected over the years. Grips I have a bacho set that are super wide, great for pumps and large back nuts. I also have a set of Forged Steel ones from screwfix, were originaly a cheap 2nd set but I quite like them. Pipe Slices, ive tried many many types. Ive had expensive Rothenburger ones and Kopex ones, neither which I found lasted particularly well, So I tried really cheap ones from my local DIY shop. Which were predictably rubbish. In the end I tried, again, Forged Steel from screwfix. both 15mm and 22mm in a box was £15. Ive had them 18 months now and they are still great, all be it with a wheel change. Bender wise I prefer Irwin/Hilmore. good floorboard lifter is a good move, good tap spanner, set of monoblock box spanners, good wood chisel, a blunt old wood chisel to flatten pipes with, decent hammer, nice heavy lump hammer, good solid cold chisel, and good set of screwdrivers should do you.

Last edited by a moderator:
push fit stop ends in your pockets is the most needed tool i think

heat mat
dust sheets
old rags
freezing kit
stopcock key
pipe cleaning strips or pipe prep tool
fire extinguisher in the van
GOOD tool bag to carry your much needed tools for the day
led work light for working under baths sink etc
knee pads
mini sharpie for marking pipes
levels
rad Allen key rad bleed key

Wire strippers and screwdrivers buy vde as mistakes happen!

Hilmore bender. But a plumb Center own brand is a rothenburger one just in different clothes.

Ppe? You need to out last any tool!

Many thanks there guys, always nice getting a 'real' perspective on things, will probably spend the next couple of years adding to and fine tuning what I've got.
I bought a few BAHCO Adjustables the other day and as mentioned I can feel the difference compared to an 'ordinary' old adjustable but some really good tips there on makes that might not be such a 'recognised' brand but performs equally as well.
Will definitely take all your advice on board (hope I won't be needing the Mop & Bucket too often though!) and keep an eye out for some decent kit.

If your going self employed then over the next few years it will cost you about 10 grand imho,

ranges from hand tools then your looking at power tools from corded to cordless, ladders from small step up to treble extension and possible roof ladders .
Then your looking at your gas tools and gas cerst which all in all is into four figures
then just to trump it all off your public liability and a nice van at £2500 +

personally i would be a brickie all your tools in a bucket !!!!

hope it works out for you

If your going self employed then over the next few years it will cost you about 10 grand imho,

ranges from hand tools then your looking at power tools from corded to cordless, ladders from small step up to treble extension and possible roof ladders .
Then your looking at your gas tools and gas cerst which all in all is into four figures
then just to trump it all off your public liability and a nice van at £2500 +

personally i would be a brickie all your tools in a bucket !!!!

hope it works out for you

Know where you're coming from; I wish I'd worked harder in school and been a Dentist, or Solicitor, or Helicopter Pilot............. :smile5:

I dont i wish i never studied was a village idiot then i would have a free house and new boiler under eco scheme, new bathroom along with a new kitchen ,then i could spend my dole check on a nice big expensive t.v where i could sit in all day long moaning about everything !!!!

I dont i wish i never studied was a village idiot then i would have a free house and new boiler under eco scheme, new bathroom along with a new kitchen ,then i could spend my dole check on a nice big expensive t.v where i could sit in all day long moaning about everything !!!!

You'd have to leave the house at some point, in your vest, to walk your Staffie Bull Terrier (that'd have a big studded leather collar) on the way to the Tattoo Parlour!

If I had a pound for each one of those I pass every day I'd soon be down Plumb Centre buying all the top kit. :smile5:

To add on a couple cheap bits I think are often forgotten.

Head light

Dust pan and brush (any quality will do)

Dust sheets - can get decent thick ones from suppliers.

If you can try blag the old Henry too. Nothing cracks people up more than cleaning a mess made by somebody else.

You'd need to be off your head to pay around 50 quid for a hose.
You can get 1/2" clear braided hose for under £15 for 30m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have about 3 of them . Apprentice lost one for me . They easier to fit on any size drain down. Also have a 3/4 radiator stump with 15mm soldered into it. Keeps tube at bottom of tank when syphoning and can connect to rad valve when no drain off. Admit that when using twin impeller to drain down sucks pipe flat. Where u get clear plastic one from?

Come on guys everyone knows this is all he will need cutters.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Startup tools advice needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably no need for me to needlessly heat hot water. My intention was to turn the boiler off along with the mains water when going away. Now, I have heard...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock