Search the forum,

Discuss New to the Forum - help needed with gas piping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
X

xixal

Hi, everyone new to this forum. I have had a quick look through the various threads to see if I can answer some or parts of my queries, sadly no luck.

I have just changed my heating system from LPG to a Air Source Heat Pump. The LPG System will still remain as a back up but my demand for LPG will be substantially lower. Rather than have large LPG storage tank I am considering replacing this for Bottles 47 Kg x 4 and by doing so free up space where the tank was.

I have approached a few gas distributors companies and finding an automatic changeover regulator for the bottles doesn't appear that difficult, given that the only other items in the house part from the boiler are a fire and hob.

I have located a place at the back of he garage where a gas bottle cage can go and this is approx 8-10 metres from the original point of entry into the house.

my query is split into five parts:

1. The existing piping from the LPG tank to the house is approx 4 metres and they have used what I assume is plastic piping coupled into 22mm copper pipe that enters the house to supply the appliances. Given that my new run is 8 - 10 metres I am assuming the piping diameter will need to increase? I have considered 28mm. Would this be ok or does it need tone bigger?

2. The piping I would like to use is the plastic coated copper piping (yellow). If the diameter size is right would this be ok for both connections to the Regulator and my existing 22mm piping into the house?

3. If The plastic copper piping is ok, is it also ok for the pipe to be laid under ground, I know water and gas piping can't be laid together and must be 400mm apart. If the piping can be laid underground I am assuming this is laid on bedding sand before being covered over again. Is there any other protection measures I would need to do as well?

4. Although I plan to have the worked checked by a gas engineer I am reasonable competent when it comes to soldering/plumbing. I am planning to purchase 2 x 6m lengths of coated copper piping, these will need to be joined by a straight coupling and two elbows. I assume that the plastic is stripped back on the pipe and that the elbows and couplings are soldered on like normal conventuals piping, I am also assuming that Denso tape is used to reseal and protect the joints.

5. Reading a lot of the threads it mentions about a 1 metre sleeve required from the point of entry into the house and underground, I assume this is for protection, is this still needed if the piping is coated? The plan would be to connect the new pipe to the existing pipe going into the house. Can someone elaborate a little more on this......

Any help would be greatly appreciated

xixal

Are you aware of how dangerous LPG Gas is ? and you wont get any replies unless you are GS registered Leave this work to a proper engineer.

Just get a plumber around

Pm your GSR registration details to a moderator to get this on the GSR private forum, or if you are not registered and qualified for LPG get someone in who is to give advice and do the gas work. Other than that, we can not give you the advice you require on this part of the forum.

Hi fully aware of the dangers of LPG having had 3 properties with LPG, I would prefer an engineer to do the work but with silly quotes of 1300 - 2300 pounds it's no wonder that this country has the name of RIP OF BRITAIN. I am trying to strike a compromise between engineer and what I can do myself to keep the costs down, hence why I asked for some advice on this forum, not entirely sure getting an engineer with silly quotes is the way forward. Thanks anyway

Easier said than done.. I would prefer an engineer to do the work but with silly quotes of 1300 - 2300 pounds it's no wonder that this country has the name of RIP OF BRITAIN. I am trying to strike a compromise between engineer and what I can do myself to keep the costs down, hence why I asked for some advice on this forum, not entirely sure getting an engineer with silly quotes is the way forward. Thanks anyway

I can't write my reply on here after that comment. I would get banned

But the last word would be off!

We don't give illegal workers gas advise , read the forum rules.

thread closed

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New to the Forum - help needed with gas piping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath the boiler is difficult with lots of obstacles, is it okay if I run soldered copper over / across the top of the boiler? It'll be about 4" off the top...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the depth of my cupboard is larger than this. The issue, however, is that the waste pipe which leads from the sink (next door cupboard) comes out quite a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock