Search the forum,

Discuss Ciphe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

LUCIALIA

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
How many people are members of Ciphe and ultimately do you think it is worth the subscription?

i have been a member for 25 years you do need some sort of organization to move the industry forward though it seems the subscriptions seem to go up every year without fail

I saved 20% at Worcester Bosch on my oil training, paid for its self already. I always ask for discount and say I'm a member. Personally I think it's viable, it makes good sense to me.

So what have you gained in 25 years then apart from a lighter wallet?

I can see that side of it but is there anything else other wise it seems expensive. ...

you always have a lighter wallet with any organization it works for me, not for you ok

I'm a member of CIPHE but yet to see any benefit to it yet.

I guess it works for some. There have been threads previously about belonging to trade bodies & there benefits etc. Makes interesting reading with the difference in opinions.

Some say that it gives a better image to the customer if you advertise you belong to a recognised trade body! Although most wouldn't have a clue what some of them meant!

i save 100% each year by not being a member as i think mentioning to my customers that i am a ciphe member they will look at me vacant.
tell them i am 'gas safe' or even corgi for the old ones, then thats all they want to know!imo.

if i pay a membership to them what 'in my hand' will they give me back is what i need to know to consider it. or is it just someone else that wants a slice of your profits??

just a thought.....

if 'corgi' set up a plumbing 'organisation' for say ÂŁ25 p.a then i do believe i would join!..as that will give me a right to say that i am 'corgi registered' on my adds. in return i can see an influx of 'older' customers who recognize the name and the benifit will be in my hand in ÂŁÂŁ.

Last edited by a moderator:
JIB, CIPHE, HVCA, APHC, WJA the grand order of water rats you pays your money and makes your choice

I've been a member for years. There have been times when if the subscription hadn't been automatically debited from my account when I wouldn't have rejoined but on the whole I get reasonable value from my membership. Like a lot of these organisations you get out what you put in. We have quite a few technical evenings in our branch and you can get a lot of useful information on these evenings. You also get to network with other local plumbers.

I think the value is likely to go up with easier access to things like the WIAP scheme and Water safe for registered plumbers.

I'm a member of CIPHE too and have been for a few years, without it I would not have gained access to work under the Scottish Boiler scrappage scheme as you had to be a member of CLE, SNIPEF of similar. CLE and SNIPEF is even more expensive to join. I've also gained professional qualifications which although doesn't mean much when your on the tools, presents a professional image to firms later on in life when you may want to go into consulting or expert witness type jobs.

That reminds me, I really must catch up on my paperwork.

Ciphe2003.jpg

Like a few here, I'm not totally convinced that your average customer will look any further than the pretty colours in the logo - let alone even care. I'm still debating whether or not to join 10 years after getting that form. Corgi on the other hand is still probably the name everybody still recognises and I did think that being able to tell a customer I had PLI through Corgi would look good in their eyes simply because it's a body they will be familiar with. (I don't have PLI with them by the way, got a better deal elsewhere).

Corporate customers or those in business themselves would most likely appreciate that you're a member of a recognised body but I think it's mostly lost on your average household customer. I will be having another think about joining Ciphe in the near future though - if I think I'll benefit from it.

I've got one of them back home in the office. But it's only 3 years old, think it was when I first registered with OFTEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ciphe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi all I need to run this CH pipework to a radiator located beyond the electric wiring in the image below. Just to be safe I was wondering if there are any rules / distances, etc I need to be following when avoiding the wiring? Many thanks. P
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock