Search the forum,

Discuss Sprinkler tanks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iiplumbing

Got me two 500litre sprinkler tanks in the loft eves as part of my loft conversion project (went up to a fourth level)

Both tanks are located on the warm side of the insulation, company I employed to do the install are refusing to hand over the O&M's because I'm not a qualified sprinkler engineer.

Has anyone here got copies of any O&M's for a domestic type of installation they could share with me?

Cheers

Russ

Got me two 500litre sprinkler tanks in the loft eves as part of my loft conversion project (went up to a fourth level)

Both tanks are located on the warm side of the insulation, company I employed to do the install are refusing to hand over the O&M's because I'm not a qualified sprinkler engineer.

Has anyone here got copies of any O&M's for a domestic type of installation they could share with me?

Cheers

Russ

dont pay them then simples

It's your system. Your o and m.

Don't pay and take them to small claims if you have to

But are you playing ball with them. Sounds like there could be more to this story and not just a customer getting ripped off

What sort of contract did you arrange? Are there any particular clauses in the contract referring to handing over?

What size project is it ? Was it notifiable as a CDM project? I.e did you have an f10? If so it's not your problem design team have to confirm that design specs are met and system has been commissioned.... And then hand over complete o&m to client (you) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All

First Mutley R.

All statistics point to the fact the not one person has been killed in a house fire that has had Fire sprinklers installed

Second SimonG

Yes I think your right and probably because of the first statistic (seems an eminently good way of preventing death and when installed as new build would cost a fraction of a post build system, in my reckoning it would add maybe £2-3000 to the build cost of the house)

Third Lame P and Simon J

Have already paid them less the cost of some screw ups they caused (foot through ceiling, 3" screws through 1 1/2" wide joists in floor void, using blunt cutting skill saws causing burning of wood flooring! and a few other issues that I cant remember at this time) So final invoice was paid then they should have released the final documents which they never did (but I never specifically asked for these documents as part of the final payment because I thought it would be a no brainer that I would get the O&M's.)

Lastly Zeb

No clauses in contract for handover. (whats CDM and whats an F10) However, the requirement to have a sprinkler system installed is part of the building regs which states that any building over three stories high (i.e. I am converting my loft to create a fourth floor must have a separate external means of escape, (i.e. external steel escape stairs just for the fourth floor), a second protected internal means of escape for all floors (i.e. a second internal staircase up through the house) or any other equivalent means of protection for the occupants (i.e. a whole house sprinkler system)

So the path was clear and installation had to be done by a suitably qualified person/company.

Said company met the criterion so was instructed by me to also include a thing call an ATACS panel (automatic test and communication system) which, I was told, would mean lower maintenance costs due to its automated self test and diagnosis ability and the fact that it would send a signal to a remote point for monitoring which came for free for the first year.

Also I was told that provided I had the system maintained to the manufacturers recommendations the non mechanical parts of the system (pipework and heads one would presume) would have a 50 year warranty. The system came with the first years service and remote monitoring provision as part of the cost of installation

At the end of the first year I got a pack inviting me to renew the service and monitoring package for a cost of (I think) £150/year

I thought that that was a bit too much so I decided to seek a third party so I could outsource this.

However I would clearly need the maintenance manual now so I could do the recommended maintenance to keep the 50 year warranty going, also I was told that if I did not renew the service contract then the ATACS panel would go into hibernation thus rendering it useless (no self test then and no automatic pump test to make sure the bearings did not seize, I have a pumped system)

System was tested and commissioned got hose sheets therefore system was pass by building control and got the certificate, so no probs there.

However whats the point of an ATACS panel that they will not let me monitor myself and saying that if they don't maintain the system then they will not honour the 50 year warranty - which they are now claiming is only offered as an option if you have the system maintained by them for a fee of £120 per year which includes remote monitoring and a tri annual service and inspection.

I do not want them to do the service and maintenance, I want a different (qualified/competent) third party to do it, surely they cannot hold a gun to my head like this?

So small claim it seems to be

BTW, for what its worth I can publish the companies details as long as I tell the truth because I cannot be held liable for libel or slander as long as I only publish true facts.

So as this story unfolds I will be naming and shaming

Russ

Well I think your an idiot. It's people like you tarnishing us as traders.

There is clearly some issues over money and I can see why the contractor is not playing ball

I think you should get a 3rd independant party involved to asses the level of compensation you should be entitled to

The quality of the job and then act as a mediator

Was there are retention in the contract or a provision for building repairs/damage

I can't see that you will stand much of a chance in getting your o and ms without paying

Well I think your an idiot. It's people like you tarnishing us as traders.

There is clearly some issues over money and I can see why the contractor is not playing ball

Hi Simon

Why am I an idiot? how am I tarnishing traders? please do enlighten me...........

The issue is not over money, the final account has been paid in full as per the final agreement. Now it may be true that the company are not happy about having to pay me compensation for issues that they have caused but those issues were resolved by agreement and final settlement was made.

I think you should get a 3rd independant party involved to asses the level of compensation you should be entitled to

The quality of the job and then act as a mediator

The Fire sprinkler association have written to company who have not responded, so mediation is not possible because said company are refusing to talk!!!!!

Was there are retention in the contract or a provision for building repairs/damage

No, that was agreed at end of contract and sorted by negotiation, it was only a year later that I discovered that the ATACS panel would go into hibernation unless I paid them to have their "service and maintenance" contract, likewise they have now stated that the 50 year warranty is only valid if I take out said contract with THEM

I can't see that you will stand much of a chance in getting your o and ms without paying

Have already paid, so by contract law they are or rather should be already mine

Like I said how am I being an idiot?

Unless, of course, and you already have the clue as to who the company is by mentioning the ATACS panel, you are a friend or affiliated to said company in some way, that you would choose to say the things you are saying.

over to you MR J

Russ

You said in your first reply to me that you had paid them less the cost of repairs

Your story is not 100% clear to me

How could you have paid final invoice. And kept some money back for what you judge to be compensation

In the terms and conditions of the sale and warranty what conditions are set out for on going service? It's a pretty reasonable request that they maintain their equipment as then any issues are theirs and cannot be attributed to others. I always recommend that if possible the installer maintains warranty service contract, avoids any he said she said stuff.

You said in your first reply to me that you had paid them less the cost of repairs

Your story is not 100% clear to me

How could you have paid final invoice. And kept some money back for what you judge to be compensation

Lets say their price for the works was £3000. The invoice raised by them was say £3200 because of some changes needed to the design (which was agreed) and because of some issues caused due to bad work practices (like a size 10 foot through the bathroom ceiling and a couple of other installation issues) we agreed that I would pay the final balance of say £2800, which I did.

No money was held by way of retention.

thus at end of year one when I got their invitation to take out their service and maintenance package, (which I thought was overpriced given that the whole idea of the ATACS panel was to reduce maintenance costs!) was overpriced, so I asked for the O&M's so I could outsource the work to a third party.

The company refused to hand them over stating that as I was not a qualified person they would not release the documents to me!

Russ

Why can't you just speak to the manufacturer of the panel?

In the terms and conditions of the sale and warranty what conditions are set out for on going service? It's a pretty reasonable request that they maintain their equipment as then any issues are theirs and cannot be attributed to others. I always recommend that if possible the installer maintains warranty service contract, avoids any he said she said stuff.

Yes Zeb I would normally agree

However the attitude I got with regard to such a simple request such as giving me the O&M's seemed to be so stupid that I lost faith in them so I felt that if they were going to be awkward then I would have to make sure that I complied with every requirement in order not to fall foul of the he said she said 50 year warranty issue.

Another aspect is that should I decide to sell the house it has a knock on effect with regard to the value of the system to the price of the property if it comes intact with the 50 year warranty still valid

Russ

50year warranty.

Sounds like a con to me just on that basis

50year warranty.

Sounds like a con to me just on that basis

Why a con its what they offer

However if they remain in business for 50 years then that's another matter, hence its important for me to have the O&M's so that I can at least say I have maintained the system to the manufacturers recommended standards!

Russ

Yep 50 years? We only used to give 25years and that was on a school and only because bsf required it. I would just pay them the £150 per year, when it comes to selling they will confirm its a managed system and all terms of warranty have been met, they will be keen to get the new home owner on board as well. CDM is construction design management regs. An f10 is certificate if notification to HSE .

Yep 50 years? We only used to give 25years and that was on a school and only because bsf required it. I would just pay them the £150 per year, when it comes to selling they will confirm its a managed system and all terms of warranty have been met, they will be keen to get the new home owner on board as well. CDM is construction design management regs. An f10 is certificate if notification to HSE .

Hmmm let me see

I am a professional plumber and I could choose to do a sprinkler course at say £300-400 so payback would be 2-3 years

However I would like to see the O&M's too see what they will be doing for their money. I can then take a view as to what will be most cost effective

But I need the O&M's first, also I could get some other company to do the maintenance however I then need O&M's so that they can price for it and I can compare their charges verses what they will be doing for their buck

I would rather the company come to a sensible resolution but they seem intent on just trying to brush it under the carpet, I reckon that they normally try and blindside regular domestic customers into taking out a contract with them and I find that a bit of a sharp practice

Getting qualified isn't same as being experienced! Don't know anything about servicing sprinklers but expect that most complicated bit us control panel...... That wouldn't be in o&m?

Your dealing with a system that is proven to save lives when looked after correctly

It's £150. I have spent more on a weekend. Just pay the money and protect your family

They may even hand over the o and ms then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sprinkler tanks in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock