Search the forum,

Discuss Less Expensive Alternative to Shuttered Extractor Fan? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I recently posted a thread about an extractor fan for a downstairs toilet and received lots of help so many thanks to all who helped.

In the same property in the upstairs bathroom is another non functioning fan. It is a Vectaire A 10/4 AT: the one with the built in shutters.
1. Why are the shutters there? What function do they serve?
2. Could I replace the broken fan with one that does not have the shutters?
3. A new Vectaire of the same model is £103. 00 which is very steep but if there is no way round this, then I'll have to get my very close relative to cough up the dosh.

All thoughts and ideas gratefully received. :)

The shutters stop back draught from outside when not in use and unwanted loss of heat.
The alternative would be to use a grill on the outside with shutters, but as they're plastic, lightweight and rely on gravity to stay closed, they tend to flap about in the wind.
The shutters on the fans are spring loaded.

Any same spec fan will do,
Expellair do the VA 100XT similar spec (slightly quieter) £75 ish.

Envirovent seem to be the cheapest with timer and shutters, under £50 delivered, various suppliers.

Many thanks for your clear and helpful reply. Such a relief that over a hundred quid does not have to be spent! I will check out your recommendations.
One follow up question. The old fan appears to be tiled into the wall with sealent all around the joint between the shutter casing and the tiles. There does not appear to be any fixings to unscrew. Is the shutter housing and the fan itself moulded together as one piece or can the shutters be removed seperately? If not, I guess I will have to scrape around the edges and try to use brute force and ignorance to pull it out. Of course then I'll have the problem of fixing any damage when I install the replacement. Any ideas?
Thanks again for your replies both to this thread and my previous thread.

Reply to Less Expensive Alternative to Shuttered Extractor Fan? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock