Search the forum,

Discuss gas cookers and ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Puddle

How come we are still allowing gas cookers to be fitted in rooms without permanent ventilation, surly the reg was stupid anyway and now we have smaller kitchens with better insulation, is it not stupid to say ,its ok ,user can open door or window....yeh sure
Or does the very fact we allow this, mean we are going completely over board on ventilation requirments for other appliances ?

The powers that be with smarter people to consult than mere tradesmen make the rules. We however, know things learned from experience but still have to follow the rules. Does that make sense?
Anyway. I have a 5x4 kitchen with a door and window but unfortunately "she" has forgotten where the cooker is.:confused::D

I asked a similar question about gas fires needing a permanent vent. A CORGI inspector told me "We know it really should have a vent, but the contractors will not pay for one". Look at it like this he said "It costs about ÂŁ20 a house or more to install a permanent vent. So if you build or own 1000 houses it would cost you upward of ÂŁ20,000 and that is coming out of your profits. So the law says if you use a cooker you should open the window or door before you do.

And yes we said to a course tutor "many people probably do not know that" his reply was "They are obliged to know the gas regs as well as you, so they should know it"

Seems the law says if your the responsible person you should have a working knowledge of the gas regs. But lets be honest how many customers do?

Seems a bit hard on customers, but that is the way it is, and why I try in my own tin pot way to inform people about gas work.

Especialy those big trendy range cookers people want nowadays with 6 burners on them. I dont like it when I have to explain how I cant just dis conect thier old oven and re conect thier double oven double grill 6 burner turbo cooker because thier 20m 15mm pipe isnt big enough anymore.

a lot of cookers are now asking for
permanent ventilation(normally 100cm2)
extracted ventilation or a extractor fan
and interlock between gas hob and extractor hob(try complying to this one,there asking for the extractor to start up automatically when the hobs on, foreign reg put into instructions when we dont use this technology here)

I asked a similar question about gas fires needing a permanent vent. A CORGI inspector told me "We know it really should have a vent, but the contractors will not pay for one". Look at it like this he said "It costs about ÂŁ20 a house or more to install a permanent vent. So if you build or own 1000 houses it would cost you upward of ÂŁ20,000 and that is coming out of your profits. So the law says if you use a cooker you should open the window or door before you do.

And yes we said to a course tutor "many people probably do not know that" his reply was "They are obliged to know the gas regs as well as you, so they should know it"

Seems the law says if your the responsible person you should have a working knowledge of the gas regs. But lets be honest how many customers do?

Seems a bit hard on customers, but that is the way it is, and why I try in my own tin pot way to inform people about gas work.

by law do you mean gas regs or BS document? if so where does it say you must open a window or door before you turn on a cooker?

Very interesting, whats this about interlocks? only applies to commercial catering in BS6173 as far as I know. Can you give let me know which european domestic cooker manufacturer is requiring this? as this has big implications. Domestic cookers are used intermitently, so there is grester flexibililty on ventilation requirements.

hotpoint ,creda effects the piano gas hob only thing you can do is refuse to fit,unless they give written dispensation which when i asked they refused

Does it not say in manufacturer instructions, too open the window? I would not worry to much about this. Its mormaly only a problem when cookers are used for somthing there not designed for. Exception is a few cheap continental cookers in recent years, where the manufacturing is suspect. How did they get CE marking?

and interlock between gas hob and extractor hob(try complying to this one,there asking for the extractor to start up automatically when the hobs on, foreign reg put into instructions when we dont use this technology here)

Just had one today, customer is now going electric !! Capped ,id and labelled fire though as on gas check was found to be leaking, so a job there to sort.

Just read the Hotpoint/Creda installation instructions for gas hob. Yep, interlocking hood and big hole in wall. Do the other makers say this now?

Just read the Hotpoint/Creda installation instructions for gas hob. Yep, interlocking hood and big hole in wall. Do the other makers say this now?
some do i cant recall who specifically but hotpoint/creda how do we comply with this reg?

I had one like this a few years back. I rang the manufacturers to check and they told me that the people writing the instructions had used the commercial regs instead of domestic and that it would be fine if I installed it in accordance with the appropriate BS for a domestic install. I requested this in writing and appended it to the instructions.

I went out to 1 where our installer said he couldnt fit it due to not enough ventilation, Me and my gas manager looked at each other as if to say what the f, So I got there had a look at the MI and found they wanted 200cm2 permanent vent hood with interlock, No wall hung cupboards could be fitted within 1mtr either side, I said to the customer go and get another hob as it would cost a fortune to fit this 1 and the ventlation requirements meant that you r kitchen would be freezing during winter. Needless to say she got a cheaper hob and back to normal regs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas cookers and ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock