Search the forum,

Discuss Ciphe is it worth it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich8

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just wondering I've never been a member of the ciphe is it worth being in it or not ?

I was looking at this last week and did a search on the forum and read up on it,
People who are on it, usually love it,
people who aren't on it, hate it
There are a few who say they get 2-3 jobs a week,
Others win more work because they are on it,
some people have been on it and got nothing back, so the onl;y way to tell is pay your money and give it a try?
When you say is it worth it, what do you mean??
Will it make you money? debatable
will it win you more work, yes
I am struggling though as none of the plumbers who trained me will give me a reference, due to them not believing in CIPHE (or scared that i will steal there work)

It's not for more work I was just wondering what it does as in every other van these days has plumbing joinery paint&dec grass cutting ect time served at nothing should the ciphe be trying to stop the so called jack of all trades there subscriptions ain't cheep

Just wondering I've never been a member of the ciphe is it worth being in it or not ?

I think that you have to have a different approach to different types of organisation.

Gas Safe is effectively a tax that you have to pay.

CIPHE is the sort of organisation where what you get out depends on what you put in. If you get involved with your local area, attend (or better still help organise) training events etc, then its probably a big plus. But if you just pay your cheque and sit tight at home, you are probably wasting your money.

As Ray says, if you join the CIPHE and sit on your backside waiting for the work to pour in you will be disappointed. In an ideal world all plumbers would need to be part of an organisation like the CIPHE but as it stands anyone can call themselves a plumber and go out lashing up jobs for people.

I look on my CIPHE membership as allowing me to network with like minded individuals and have access to technical information and evenings. I also see it as my way of putting something back into the industry by promoting good plumbing practice and supporting an organisation that is pushing for proper policing of plumbing work in this country.

Iv been a member for2 years now... Plus paid extra to appear on there website search....
I can honestly say I don't get any benefit at all... And have only ever had 1 small job from the Internet search!
They always seem to want photocopies of certificates too, plus passport photos even tho I have sent all this before several times! The only reason I renewed was because I have there stickers on the van, and it would look odd if I had to peel them off!! But I'm seriously considering not renewing this year & save myself 100 odd quid!

As far as I can see it depends on the type of work you're chasing and the competition you are up against I currently can't decide between them and APHC

I am going to join one of them just not sure which.

im up against 2 other company's when I tender for some jobs and I'm slowly gaining the edge on them and being part of the scheme will leap frog me over them until they do the same.

Its not so much private home owners but the bigger jobs run through developers and the likes

been a member, but to far from the nearest meetings to benefit fm networking, didnt fancy an 11/2 hour drive to a meeting after a days work so binned them after a few years. the website side of life never got me one enquiry but having said that you might benefit fm their help if things go wrong on a job as they will look into problems if they occur, but never needed that side to find out.

Good in some ways, was on local committee for a wile , some good trade evenings, but they don't seem to have moved on very much over the years, and haven't got much in the way of powers, You get a mag now and then, an invite to dinner & dance about ÂŁ40 per head, But main thing Joe public is not all that aware of who they are.

I am CHIPE ( and have the letters TOPTOSSERAICHIPERP after my name, or something like that), and every year when the subs come round , I wonder if its worth paying.
I like the fact that it is the only charted plumbing & heating body, I like the logo on my invoices, the stickers on the van, but I have to admit non of my customers have said a word.
A major marketing plan would help, but the subs would then rocket.

As a plumber that is employed and doesn't have to look for work i don't think it is worth me joining, i was when i was classed as a trainee as the first year was free and the 2nd year wasn't to much but now i wouldn't get anything from it i don't think. I did go to some of the evenings which were good but they don't run them anymore due to poor turnout, not only that when i did go you get people there who weren't plumbers, there was a lorry driver and some really old guy who was never a plumber, what the hell were they doing there.

Not only that i thought the magazine thing you get through wasn't good, one issue covered 2 members of the office staff fitting a plastic outside tap from Germany and rating it, again, what the hell was that about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ciphe is it worth it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Honeywell made a natural gas leak detector for the home this is now discontinued. What other ones are available, and is it worth fitting them.
Replies
Views
Hi everyone! Parents not used the boiler since 2013/2014, since installing a new wetroom for them they have now decided its worth getting the boiler running again. The only reason it has not been used i so long is the the zone valve kept getting stuck (would have fixed this myself if i knew!)...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm installing a new kitchen which will have a dishwasher and washing machine. As I'm cutting/teeing into the cold mains 15mm pipe (before the kitchen sink taps) to feed the dishwasher and washing machine is it worth fitting a isolation valve with a built-in check valve? Regards Tezzer
Replies
Views
hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn back and it repeats itself. had boiler checked and told it was the expansion vessel. Had the expansion vessel drained and recharged. plumber told me...
Replies
Views
On to the scraping side now! Is it worth bothering to remove insulation from old water tank and weigh in clean, or just take it down to the scrapper as it is?? ? Mnhjffhjbn
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock