Search the forum,

Discuss broken boiler - who do I trust?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FreezingHackney

It's finally happened - my boiler just stopped working last night. I bled the radiators, topped up the water/loop thing - things that have worked in the past but they had no effect this time. The LED display has the 'Air pressure switch should be checked' light flashing.

I hope you don't think I'm whining too much but I really feel that this is where my nightmare begins: historically, I have had the worst luck with getting plumbers and the like. I'm prepared to pay for a job well done - but feel (woman on her own and all that) I've just had the mickey taken out of me.

And so to the internet: the BBC has something saying I need to get someone registered with CIPHE. I called all 10 of those listed for my area - one came out today to look, a further 2 said they could come next week. Nothing from the rest.

The guy who came out seemed like a straight up and down guy - but how do you tell?! He's quoted me around £280 to replace PCB (this without VAT). What do you think? Not even sure that the PCB is the problem - how would I ever know? I know it's one of the costliest parts to replace.

I've been swayed away from getting British Gas to come out, inspite of reasonable sounding quotes, after reading the stuff on this forum about the watchdog programme.

Guilty - yes - I haven't had the boiler serviced in the last few years - because of same problem - who can you really trust?

I'd really appreciate any (constructively critical) advice - please be kind! I know there must be reputable and honest and hardworking engineers/plumbers out there - I just seem to have a bother of a time finding one!!

Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom or kindness, Freezing (and, frankly, a bit grubby now) in Hackney.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've walked into a land of reputable honest hardworking plumbers!

I am working tomorrow mornig in Hackney , if you need help pls see my web address below .

Stan

And who can you trust? That's for you to decide on first impressions or recommendations.

Why don't you post on here. Try and get one of the trusted advisers or a long time poster and you'll be sure of an excellent service

Firstly welcome to the forum :)

It's always a tough call and somwthing I hear quite a bit from people who have never had plumbing or heating problems, people new to the area and people who have seen all the 'rogue' trader programmes. They want a good honest bloke to do a job and are prepared to pay the going rate for a good job.
If you can't get a recommendation from a friend, relative or coleague then you have come to the right place. Safegasinstall has expressed an interest in being available and is a top bloke.

Hope you can get sorted.

Good luck with your repair.
You would be well advised to use one of the cynical sods off this forum for your job.
Most are top notch and have no desire to rip you off. IMHO

May I just add, bit obvious to us, but they must be Gas Safe registered. Ciphe is nothing really, most reputable plumbers don't need it as it costs a lot, takes up a lot of time and any good plumber will be busy enough without it.

Few tips in my opinion,

ask if they are time served or not. any time served plumber has done at least 5 years shadowing a plumber, has worked hard to get where they are and is keen to keep their reputation up

A none time served plumber has done the course in a few months and may not care about his workmanship.

Ask for references and check them, when i looked for a tiler, one guy gave me references and when i rung them the customer was not happy, had to keep calling him back and was met with disgruntled tiler when he complained.

Check previous work, if i was happy with somebody's work I would let other people come and see it.

Spend time getting it right. you need this person quite often and a good relationship is key.

But remember, we all get it wrong, sometimes we might think it is a PCB, but it is actually a sensor. some jobs are not as simple as they seem. Hardest part of our job is when customer says, what is it? and expect an exact explanation, but it aint always that simple. there is no boiler diagnosis tool. although some boilers are better at telling you what is wrong then others.

It is not what we can do, but how we explain the problem that makes the difference.

May I just add, bit obvious to us, but they must be Gas Safe registered. Ciphe is nothing really, most reputable plumbers don't need it as it costs a lot, takes up a lot of time and any good plumber will be busy enough without it.

Few tips in my opinion,

ask if they are time served or not. any time served plumber has done at least 5 years shadowing a plumber, has worked hard to get where they are and is keen to keep their reputation up

A none time served plumber has done the course in a few months and may not care about his workmanship.

Ask for references and check them, when i looked for a tiler, one guy gave me references and when i rung them the customer was not happy, had to keep calling him back and was met with disgruntled tiler when he complained.

Check previous work, if i was happy with somebody's work I would let other people come and see it.

Spend time getting it right. you need this person quite often and a good relationship is key.

But remember, we all get it wrong, sometimes we might think it is a PCB, but it is actually a sensor. some jobs are not as simple as they seem. Hardest part of our job is when customer says, what is it? and expect an exact explanation, but it aint always that simple. there is no boiler diagnosis tool. although some boilers are better at telling you what is wrong then others.

It is not what we can do, but how we explain the problem that makes the difference.
wow...you have come on leaps and bounds

Their speaks someone who knows nothing about the CIPHE. I've been a member for over twenty years, not for what I get out of it but for what I can put back into it. Membership of a voluntary organisation shows a commitment to professionalism over and above the compulsory membership of Gas safe etc. CIPHE membership is only available to suitably qualified professionals who all abide by a strict code of practice.

Their speaks someone who knows nothing about the CIPHE. I've been a member for over twenty years, not for what I get out of it but for what I can put back into it. Membership of a voluntary organisation shows a commitment to professionalism over and above the compulsory membership of Gas safe etc. CIPHE membership is only available to suitably qualified professionals who all abide by a strict code of practice.

Apologies if I have offended, Just my opinion and those of plumbers I know and spoke to. different areas, different opinions.

Oops, just read the other posts.
I joined CORGI when it was voluntary and before it became a money earner.
I've never heard of cipse or whoever they are and I've been a professional and business owner for 40 years.
If they eluded my radar then they were'nt worth knowing!

get a Gas Safe Registered Engineer out please check he/she is registered ID card and if your still not sure ring gas safe or check their details online..and good luck my friend there are plenty of good plumbers around and yes there are also bad ones..just make sure you get the right 1.

the point being you have to be time served to be a member ciphe, and un like gas safe it is not compulsary, making it my opinion

requirements to be on CIPHE = Qualification and relevant experience

If no experience is provided (reference) then site visit.

So Jo went to a training centre, gained his Gas safe, NVQ's and all qualifications in 6 months, he doesnt care about his job as he has just changed from mcdonalds to become a plumber. He gets his mate to give him a reference saying he has worked for 2 years in the plumbing industry, He is Ciphe registered.

Bob has been plumbing for 40 years and he has no qualifications so can not get Ciphe registration.

Who would you trust?

I'm not saying all Ciphe members are from training centres and don't care about their job, but in my opinion it isnt worth nothing. I could easily pass my driving test but put me on my own and I would fail every time.

It's not easy to get 40 years of driving experience.

Who would you trust?

However don't CIPHE offer a guarantee i.e. so to protect the customer? can't remember now.

No????

if the member is found to be doing wrong, they get kicked off, wow that is harsh.
They have a barrister, a trading standards officer and technical investigators and they cant even promise they will investigate and prosecute any plumber who is doing wrong.

Further more they state, "we can only accept complaints about members of the CIPHE, as the Investigation/Disciplinary Committees have no jurisdiction over non-members"

Meaning that I am only liable to investigation or grief if I pay them money.

If they were prosecuting cowboys, I would be more keen to be a member, but they only investigate if I pay them money, not a chance

How do you propose a voluntary organisation takes action against non members? In the example above Bob would be eligible to join as plumbers with extensive practical experience but no formal qualifications may be eligible to join.

The CIPHE has been campaigning for compulsory registration of plumbers for a very long time but with little success as the politicians and general public don't realise the dangers involved in plumbing and heating other than gas works.

Sure ciphe or whoever are campaigning for compulsory registration of plumbers. Would I be cynical if I wondered if there was a financial motive to their enthusiasm.

100% behind you mike

I've never heard of cipse or whoever they are and I've been a professional and business owner for 40 years.
If they eluded my radar then they were'nt worth knowing!

Used to be known as the institute of plumbers. They do a lot of worthwhile work for the benefit of all plumbers whether or not they are members.
I am not a member but i am a member of snipef. That is a voluntary organisation too and membership costs me a good bit more than gas safe does but that is my choice.
Personally i think the registration and licensing of all plumbing work should be made compulsory which would hopefully raise standards. This has been lobbied for for many years, even since before corgi came on the scene which would only put us on the same par as other 1st world countries.
A blind man can see how bad some of the work now being done is and there is the never ending tv programs highlighting it to the general public. This is leading to people being scared into the hands of the big companies for fear of what they may get from independents as the thoughts of the OP of this post shows.

To the OP.
Safegas (Stan) will do you a good job for a fair price so may be worth giving him a PM.

I was a member of the IOP for about twenty years, didn't do much fo me as I recall but my membership subscriptions helped them to move from a rented office above a solicitors in Hornchurch to a freehold detached property in Hornchurch.
I lived nearby but of course I couldn't afford such splendour as I was merely a contributor to their worthy and noble cause.

Thank you Stan for your offer - I've decided to go with the guy who came round yesterday - I must have faith!

Seems that the OP has gone AWOL.

Guilty as charged - went to a friends for a quick shower and was persuaded to stay the night in their nice centrally heated home with oodles of free flowing warm water.

First thing I did when I got in this morning was log in to this site. I have had my faith restored by ALL of your posts.

Thank you.

requirements to be on CIPHE = Qualification and relevant experience

If no experience is provided (reference) then site visit.

So Jo went to a training centre, gained his Gas safe, NVQ's and all qualifications in 6 months, he doesnt care about his job as he has just changed from mcdonalds to become a plumber. He gets his mate to give him a reference saying he has worked for 2 years in the plumbing industry, He is Ciphe registered.

Bob has been plumbing for 40 years and he has no qualifications so can not get Ciphe registration.

Who would you trust?

I'm not saying all Ciphe members are from training centres and don't care about their job, but in my opinion it isnt worth nothing. I could easily pass my driving test but put me on my own and I would fail every time.

It's not easy to get 40 years of driving experience.

Who would you trust?

However don't CIPHE offer a guarantee i.e. so to protect the customer? can't remember now.

Wow - I seem to have opened a can of worms - it is fascinating and I'm learning a lot - who knew?. I hope the debate continues in it's healthy opinion based format.

So, errrmmmm..... does £280 excluding VAT sound ok to replace the board? (incl. the new board)

Oh - and the model is Heatline Compact - which I now understand, after google trawling, is one of the cheapest out there!

He's here right now - I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you again to EVERYONE who took the time to post. Have a beer on me!

Hope it all goes ok ,still do not know what boiler it is :sad_smile:,performa/mains ,Ariston maybe ?

Sorry about not replying directly - just getting the hang of this forum thing - the model is Heatline Compact - which I now understand, after google trawling, is one of the cheapest out there!

You have a few fans on here - hope it would be ok to contact you re: any future work? Thanks

Price seems ok,main pcb board's are expensive ,not a boiler I would put on my shopping list :frown:

But as said hope the repair keeps the boiler running well for a good while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to broken boiler - who do I trust?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath the boiler is difficult with lots of obstacles, is it okay if I run soldered copper over / across the top of the boiler? It'll be about 4" off the top...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock