Search the forum,

Discuss Shower enclosure sealent sealing issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Ok, I have a shower cubicle that needs to be re-siliconed as its gone moldy. The problem is, one of the side panels is about half an inch from a tiled wall, whicj half of that wall is a window. So am guessing this is why they put the side panel there. The problem being, i cannot get the silicone in to seal it. Obviously the client has not been able to clean in there either as it is just full of dust and webs and so on.

So, as you're only supposed to seal the out side, what is my best option? Can i just seal the inside?

I hope you get what i mean. It is a bit long winded though

Yea just seal the internal if you have no other choice.

On any shower enclosure, you're really only supposed to seal the one side, i.e the inside, because if you try to seal both sides then water can build up between the seals and eventually cause a leak.

oh, i thought you were only supposed to seal the outside?? From the manufacturers instructions i have had.

I usually seal the inside to stop the water from getting to the outside. Regardless, only one side should be sealed.

Only the outside, as water drains through the frame and escapes from the inside bottom edges. Problems with leakages tend to be from screens sealed on both sides, as system3 said the water builds up and then finds a way out and you can bet it will go to the outside.

I use a bit of 10mm speedfit taped to the end of me silicone gun and then smooth with a bit of 15mm copper. Haven't had one that's beat me.......yet :)

i like the idea of the push fit pipe, but i could not get the 15mm copper tube in the gap. I cannot believe somebody would leave such a small gap.

With the copper pipe, do you dip it in soapy water before smoothing? And do you do this for baths as well?

I use a fugenboy

i like the idea of the push fit pipe, but i could not get the 15mm copper tube in the gap. I cannot believe somebody would leave such a small gap.

With the copper pipe, do you dip it in soapy water before smoothing? And do you do this for baths as well?

I use a fugenboy

I never install leaving such a small gap, normally find another way around it. With copper I just leave it dry, for everywhere else it's the old finger. Trick is not to get too much on to start with.

yeah, i really like it. Bernie that used to be on here told me about it. Anyone know what happened to Bernie2

i have the fugi kit very good range of different sized profiles.

Ive always been good at Siliconing but I purchased the fugi kit about 3mnths ago and have never looked back, an actual professional finish!

i always push silicone gun, leaves better finish and gets it right into joints, quick wipe wi wet finger
imo

Ive always been good at Siliconing but I purchased the fugi kit about 3mnths ago and have never looked back, an actual professional finish!
I just watched a fugi video on you tube, where abouts do you get a fugi kit from?

Amazon £15 for the bigger set..

i get mine from screwfix. They are transparent so end up losing them. Might try thefugi kit off amazon when lost all of them

I might treat myself to a set then go crazy with the sealing! Not that it needs done but you know what like!

Haha mum and dad just fitted a whole new kitchen. That place is probably air tight now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower enclosure sealent sealing issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock