Search the forum,

Discuss Servicing Work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

combo

Hi,
I'm new here and still finding my feet, so apologies if this has been covered before ( i have had a look but couldn't see anything ). I've recently retaken my ACS and am looking to get a start back in the gas industry as Ive been away for a few years working in another trade. I was wanting to work away doing servicing and CP12's ( this is what i have prior experience of ) on short contracts and am just after a clear idea of what I'll require. I know i need a newish van ( no older than 4 years I believe ) and my own FGA but will I be expected to have my own Liability insurance ?? None of the jobs i see posted by the recruitment agencies mention it. Will these companies issue consumables, smoke bombs, labels etc and will i be required to print off FGA results ?
None of this was a problem last time i worked on the gas because i worked for a sub-contractor company, so even when i did BG work, everything was provided.....infact they gave me so much, i still got some left !!!

Any help would be appreciated

Whether you are employed or self employed will determine what you need to supply, if self employed you will supply everything you mentioned but that should be reflected in the price you are given

I assumed that because they are asking for you to be Gas Safe registered ( which I've just got ) that you would be self-employed. The rates on all these jobs seem to be about 16 - 20 quid per service. When I was employed I used to get 10 quid a service, not too bad when doing BG 'checks' on nice clean combi's....on social housing doing CP12's and full services on fire/bb, maybe an additional fire and the cooker - nightmare

Hi I'm s.e. Subbie, I prefer to chase the contracts where I supply labour, van, FGA & tools, my own pli, limited company status so I don't get charged for using their umbrella for maximum £ per hr. Various mates take less and they get fuel card and coy van. All consumables in my experience are provided by company I.e smoke bombs, closure plate tape etc...

things to watch out for are what is your area of responsibility, will you get a call from the office to do a job 50 mils away, overtime rates, don't get as usually flat rate weekday, but more on wknd. Most of all be very wary of companies that do you tax etc and charge the earth for it, hence why I set up a limited company

Vast majority of agencies insist on pli or small charge for using theirs, I don't print off FGA results, but take photo if I have concerns

Appreciate the help guys. I'll have to do more research into these job postings, I didn't wanna sound clueless on the phone to these agencies and put them off. Having been out the industry for a few years, I was just looking to apply, turn up and get some recent experience under my belt.

the benefit of the umbrella however, is that you can claim back milage, ppe, tools and consumables, and any training, oh and lunches somehow it goes against your tax and you get it all back.

Had a word with one of the companies today and they said it depends on the individual contract, whether you will need to provide PLI, own van etc. What would you say was the average number of services per day these companies would expect. Back when I serviced for the council our guys were expected to hit 8-10 a day, that could be backboiler/fire, another fire and whatever else....I thought it was excessive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Servicing Work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock