Search the forum,

Discuss Self employed way forward? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mrclemo

Hey all, thanks for taking the time for reading this, not sure if i even posted in the right forum....
Basically i qualified in domestic gas in July this year, have my acs, portfolio, met1 wat1 ckr1 etc etc, and i have been looking hard for work since. Everyone wants eiter 2 years experience, or a self employed engineer with van tools etc. obviously im not rich after the course, but the only interview i had, i didnt get because was followed by an ex British gas fella with 9yrs exp. Would going self employed, and then subbing be a good move? i have enough money to set up, but unsure if its a clever risk....
any advise hugely appreciated

Hmm!

Its best to investigate the likelihood of getting work. If the local market is saturated with advertising from Plumbers in the free press and their prices are low. Then obviously it may not be a good idea to go self employed at the moment.

Then you have to think about how long it is going to take to build up a customer base. Its best to get in touch on an informal basis with some local business people and ask them.

Good Fortune

As last guy says investigate what the local market is like, is it choca with plumbers and heating engineers?. Going self employed is always a gamble but I think if you provide a cracking service for people and treat customers how you would like to be treated you wont go far wrong.
Hey all, thanks for taking the time for reading this, not sure if i even posted in the right forum....
Basically i qualified in domestic gas in July this year, have my acs, portfolio, met1 wat1 ckr1 etc etc, and i have been looking hard for work since. Everyone wants eiter 2 years experience, or a self employed engineer with van tools etc. obviously im not rich after the course, but the only interview i had, i didnt get because was followed by an ex British gas fella with 9yrs exp. Would going self employed, and then subbing be a good move? i have enough money to set up, but unsure if its a clever risk....
any advise hugely appreciated

thanks for advise guys.
Fuzzy-yes i have acs,cpa1,ccn1,ckr1,htr1,met1,wat1,cen1, essential elec, energy efficency, combi basic and advansed fault finding. also qualified set out engineer.
the west mids has a massive amount of engineers, but also plenty of subbing vacancies. i can also go and stay in london if thats where the work is as i have family and friends there. i just need some experience and to make enough to live for 6 months, then i will try the big companies again.

I have too recently gone self employed but only after being made redundant, I can honestly say its the best thing ive done, alright work is a bit slow at the minute but I get a few jobs a week worth a few hundred quid and thats without even advertising and if you do a good job people will use you again and tell their friends. I'm going the subcontracting route via BG now just to tide me over while I build up my customer base just waiting for my start date got the laptop etc. If you go with one of the agencies they can set you up with the test etc for BG or get you subbie opportunities else where. I too live in the midlands and there is definatly work round our way for the self employed you just gotta be prepared for days where you might not have any work on.

Good luck my friend whatever you do

i lost my job in june and as im only 21 it hit hard because in the same way as u i only had 4 years exprence, i tryd to get a job and found it realy difficult ectect but i did decided to try and make a go of it and its been amazing ther has been times when i havnt had lot of work or any for that matter! but ive picked up this last month and im now pulling well over 500 a week which to me is amazing money. my best advice would be to give it a try u have nothing to loose, aslong as you are confident in what you do and do a good job at a fair price you will get work. all the best of luck to you.

once youve been self employed you wont want to work for anyone else ever again, independance is the bees knees.

I have been self employed for over 20 years and would not like to be starting up a business now as i know of loads of very qualified people who have said they have had the slackest year ever, there are loads of firms out there that will exploit you so you can get experience I would try this before spending your savings , good luck

thanks all for advise, im going for it, just need a van(and some jobs) and im away! i hope to sub contract to start to get some much needed experience, but im all for being exploited if just for the experience, so anyone know anywhere who wants a newbie that works for a cup of tea and peanuts?
cheers

thanks for advise guys.
Fuzzy-yes i have acs,cpa1,ccn1,ckr1,htr1,met1,wat1,cen1, essential elec, energy efficency, combi basic and advansed fault finding. also qualified set out engineer.
the west mids has a massive amount of engineers, but also plenty of subbing vacancies. i can also go and stay in london if thats where the work is as i have family and friends there. i just need some experience and to make enough to live for 6 months, then i will try the big companies again.

i was thinking of city and guilds/apprenticeship experience etc. the quals you have mentioned are all short courses

yes, and it seems impossible to get any experience, even working for free, so what would be your advise?I know its all short course quals, but you get the same at the end with a college course - ie your acs, so im not sure what to do. do you think going it alone is my best move - i suppose going back to college would be a option, but i do have a family to support?!??
thanks again
mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Self employed way forward? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock