Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing Tools for removing kitchen sink taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jsmalde

I am having problems removing kitchen sink tap to access washer. I tried using pipe wrench and I still cannot remove the nut. Has anyone got any suggestions or tips to remove the nut.

stilsons and a tap with hammer to get it started

I might try http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/forum.php available from screwfix. 400ml. A penetrating oil spray with -45ºC freeze action to shrink metal components for easy release. Designed to displace water and break down corrosion bonds quickly. Contains corrosion inhibitors. Many thanks for your help I will use stilsons too to try this out but maybe first spray it.

Grip the nut with a big spanner, adjusted as tight as possible. Hold the spanner firmly with one hand while you whack the spout on its right-hand side repeatedly with a rubber mallet. The spanner prevents the whole tap rotating in the sink, while the mallet blows gradually shock the nut open. It must be a rubber mallet -- do NOT be tempted to use a metal one with cloth etc. wrapped around the spout! You'll damage it.

Hope this helps -- it's never failed me.

Grip the nut with a big spanner, adjusted as tight as possible. Hold the spanner firmly with one hand while you whack the spout on its right-hand side repeatedly with a rubber mallet. -QUOTE]

Surely you would need to hit the left-hand side of tap spout to slacken tap?

If it is a stainless steel sink, I would recommend a gentle heat from a blow lamp on the nut below first, if it won't slacken easily.

Last edited:
Perhaps I misunderstood? I read it that jsmalde was trying to remove the tap mechanism only (from the top of the sink) to get at the washer and valve seating within, with a view to replacing the washer, and possibly regrinding the seat. If this is so, then you would want to hit the spout on its righthand side -- to apply an opposite counterclockwise turning force on the mechanism top nut to undo it. Think about it!

However, if he meant remove the entire tap from the sink (why?), then yes, you would have to hit the spout on its lefthand side, whilst gripping the backnut beneath the sink, with, say, a BearHug wrench or the like. This would apply a counterclockwise force to the backnut, to undo it.

P.S. By the way, Best, most tap backnuts are made of plastic nowadays, so you'd have to watch it before applying a blowlamp! If you can get boiling water into the joint, that sometimes helps, plus a quick spray of WD-40. But the rubber mallet shock treatment usually works.

Last edited:
You could be right Alanka. But jsmalde did say he was removing kitchen taps & trying to remove the nut, so I thought "washer" was perhaps the washer between sink & tap.
Still a lot of taps come with brass back nuts, oddly even cheap taps. Better to replace plastic nuts with brass so the tap can be well tightened & you really don't want a plastic nut breaking on, say a bath tap, especially at the far side of the bath where you can't get at!
If it is just the works of tap needing removed, then a sharp blow to the spanner should work, providing the tap can't move. A socket on some of the spindles can be better as grips all of spindle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing Tools for removing kitchen sink taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I need to replace the washer of my kitchen mixer tap as it is leaking. I was able to remove the spout once by unscrewing the screw on the back of the tap. However now I can't remove it again as it seems I must have used the wrong screw head and have rounded off the head. Please see attached...
Replies
Views
The unit underneath has no access to the tap and from measuring, the unit does not even go as back as where the tap is. The pipework is a mess. I think the only solution is to remove the sink as I don't think my tapex kit will get to the tap bolts from cutting from the bottom with my multitool...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, I've just purchased a portable washing machine and want to connect it to my kitchen tap. I know I'm going to need an adapter to connect it, but am struggling to work out if the aerator in the tap is removable. I can see 'Airforce' written on the side of the aerator and the aerator has...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
My parents have a leak from kitchen sink. My dad removed waste trap and since refitted it leaks, but there wasn’t any kind of seal on it, I got a rubber/plastic gasket that seems To fit the trap but with it, I can’t get it to screw and lock back on (has lugs so locks after quarter turn. But...
Replies
Views
V
Hi all, I'm completely inexperienced at this, but my kitchen taps are ancient, and the water has started dripping. Rather than just change the washer, I want to change the entire thing to a mixer tap that supports two holes. I think I've figured most of it out except for the part where I...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock