Search the forum,

Discuss Flues in voids in private houses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozak1968

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Whats the procedure if a homeowner has a flue in a void, wants the boiler serviced and doesn't want any inspection hatches fitted.

if there having it serviced , would you not check the condition of the flue ? imho i would ar it like any other

isnt that part of the service 'integrity of flueway'
AR it if can inspect all the flue

def ar on flue, also check airinlet for pocs, and slightest hint of pocs ID and cutoff. Rules is rules

Service the boiler then tell the customer "i am going to turn it off and by the way you owe me ÂŁ***". Is there a diplomatic way of putting it.

Service the boiler then tell the customer "i am going to turn it off and by the way you owe me ÂŁ***". Is there a diplomatic way of putting it.
Still hate asking...

I Fitted the system 4 years ago and the customer wants me to fit an extra rad. Then asked if i could do a service.

It has to be classed as 'At Risk'.

You do all the other checks, issue a warning notice and turn off the appliance.

If the customer wants to continue using it without bringing it up to standards, they simply turn it back on and use it at their own risk.

It has to be classed as 'At Risk'.

You do all the other checks, issue a warning notice and turn off the appliance.

If the customer wants to continue using it without bringing it up to standards, they simply turn it back on and use it at their own risk.

Yep agree with this. See it everyday at work.

Describe the new reg to the customer, tell them what you must do and how much you are going to charge, if they want to break the rules and use a boiler that can't be checked then its up to them
However the change was brought in because of poor workmanship, nothing else, boilers are designed to work safely with extended flues that are properly cut, fitted, clamped and secured, so if you are sure you fitted it properly it will be fine, but because of others poor work you will NEED to call it AR then the customer decides what to do, you need to advise them that every gas engineer must call it AR so if they get someone else who Wong call it AR what other corners will they cut to get their money, and ultimately if something goes wrong getting a dodgy engineer in won't have been worth it
Maybe it's time we looked at other ways to box flues in, you get spring clips that would allow the front box to come off and on in seconds, with no paint damage etc that type of thing would help

There is no need for conflict. simply service it,inspect the flue and if no hatches,issue AR notice. Turning off means turning off at the appliance controls. You have done your duty by informing them,you have a signed notice and it is then up to them if they choose to use it. If they do,then they will be in breach of GSIUR REGS. Do your bit,collect the $$$ and go..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flues in voids in private houses in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock