Search the forum,

Discuss ecoTEC frost protection vs. fuel comsumption. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rekab

Ok, got a landlord who has a boiler in a outbuilding and wants to prevent the boiler from firing all night due to the internal frost protection activating at 5deg., heating all the pipes to 30deg. He wants to save on fuel consumption.

I've had to install an electrical relay system but need to know whether or not I can de-energise the boilers electrical supply whist its firing. Would this cause possible heat damage to the boiler due to lack of heat dispersal? does the internal pump need to keep running until heat is taken out of the boiler?

What you need is a low limit pipe stat on return wired in line with permanent live to frost stat. Temp drops below 5, boiler fires, return hits 30, boiler switches off, simples! :)

Not quite what I meant

wants to prevent the boiler from firing all night due to the internal frost protection activating at 5deg, heating all the pipes to 30deg. He wants to save on fuel consumption.

the idea is, he wants to have the pump only run upon activation of a seperate frost stat, therefore reclaining heat from the building in order to keep the pipes warm. He doesn't want the boiler to actually fire. Thus saving the cost of the gas.

all i really need to know is..
whether or not I can de-energise the boilers electrical supply whist its firing. Would this cause possible heat damage to the boiler due to lack of heat dispersal? does the internal pump need to keep running until heat is taken out of the boiler?

So you want to modify the internal electrics? I think I would have told him not to be so tight and he may find the gas cheaper than a burst boiler.

Still, good luck with that one.

I would agree with SimonG. If he thinks burning gas to prevent the boiler from freezing is expensive what's his next project, disabling the light switches during daytime??
Sounds like a right winner you got there rekab, Watch for the blame game to start if he presses ahead with this foolish idea.

Yes you can damage the heat exchanger if you cut the power whilst it is running. As you say the pump keeps running after the boiler has stopped firing to disperse heat from the exchanger and avoid kettling.

Not quite what I meant

the idea is, he wants to have the pump only run upon activation of a seperate frost stat, therefore reclaining heat from the building in order to keep the pipes warm. He doesn't want the boiler to actually fire. Thus saving the cost of the gas.

all i really need to know is..

Show the landlord a quote for a replacement boiler due to frost damage,or resite the boiler.

disabling the light switches during daytime??

funny you should say that! I already have installed a relay system, for internal PIR sensors with timers internally and with a photocell master outside. works really well actually.(there again he does own alot of properties with communial areas.) Tenants tent to jam time lag switches on.

Yes you can damage the heat exchanger if you cut the power whilst it is running. As you say the pump keeps running after the boiler has stopped firing to disperse heat from the exchanger and avoid kettling.

thankyou for answering the question I asked.

funny you should say that! I already have installed a relay system, for internal PIR sensors with timers internally and with a photocell master outside. works really well actually.(there again he does own alot of properties with communial areas.) Tenants tent to jam time lag switches on.

I take it the tenants do not pay their own Utility bills then?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ecoTEC frost protection vs. fuel comsumption. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I am somewhat confused. My daughter has a combi boiler bought 2-3 years ago and has it timed to come on in morning for an hour and at night for a few hours using "auto"? mode I had been brought up to leave boilers on manual and set the thermostat low at night to prevent pipes from...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My boiler was kind of new & installed last year July, I know there's build-in frost protection. Also, there's an old external frost protection (attached photo) that the engineer did not disconnect it when installed the new boiler. I wonder if I need to disconnect/get rid of the old...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone, I'm facing an issue with my Vaillant EcoTec 832 boiler and would greatly appreciate your expert advice. The Problem: Heating Not Working Normally. When I turn on the heating, it doesn’t start. However, I still receive hot water, suggesting the boiler does work in some...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Our heating set time is 7:30am off. This morning at around 8:35am the pump started to run, water motorised valve opened, and boiler started to operate! This operation ran till 12:15pm (pump stopped, valve closed and boiler stopped), totally around 3hour and 40mins! ====I assume this...
Replies
Views
I currently have a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 438 system boiler which is 13 years old. I have been having problems with the boiler which potentially boils down to the heat exchanger so I am now looking to bite the bullet and have a new boiler installed. My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock