Search the forum,

Discuss Another one on plume kits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

kasser

Gas Engineer
Vaillant 838 to be fitted. Flue will end up on boundary line. Can a plume kit be fitted as solution?

I've been told yes but I don't see how a plume kit suddenly makes the short distance ok. The plume will still discharge over the boundary line.

I can direct the plume away from the boundary but I think 45deg is the max, certainly not 90 Deg?

There's currently no plume nuisance since there's no building nearby or path. It's just the 600 mm to boundary is more like 0 mm!

I did not do this btw.

IMG_20190503_144547.jpg

IMG_20190503_144555.jpg

I would have proposed a vertical flue myself or stick the boiler somewhere else but the hole has already been drilled. It would be easier if I could just stick a plume kit to it.
Apparently a couple of GSR said it's fine and did not even mention a plume kit.

I think it’s flippant just to say there’s nothing there so it’s ok. Is it just wasteland???

I didn’t mean you I meant the other guys. If it’s the neighbours garden then no

Fact is, there could be something there in the future. We've just had this on another thread. If the neighbour decides to build on the land, they have the right to ask the flue to be moved as it shouldn't be there. 600mm away from the boundary isn't just to prevent a nuisance.

I guess even if they don't build anything, it's still within their right to ask for the flue not to discharge right on their land.
But the question is, is fitting a plume kit a solution to this?

I guess even if they don't build anything, it's still within their right to ask for the flue not to discharge right on their land.
But the question is, is fitting a plume kit a solution to this?

There is a mention in a TB I think it states a plume kit should not be used to circumvent the requirements unless it’s ok with the manufacturer. Hole can be patched easily, once the boiler is there a bit more difficult to relocate if asked to move.

IMO - I wouldn’t use one, especially if someone gets gas safe involved (neighbours perhaps), they do an inspection, might want to know who installed against MI’s?

Is it a gas safety issue though? More like building regs?
I would never have installed it here myself but just want to explore all options here before ruling it out.

At the moment it’s not a gas safety issue, unless the POC or air intake is affected, which could present a problem if the neighbours decide bit to cut those trees and let them grow. It would also be a problem if as others have stated if the neighbours decided to build an extension/summer house or anything else habitable.

When I was in college or have re-sat my acs they make great reference to MANUFACTURERS INSTRUCTIONS :D

It can't be done, building regs state and so do the manufactures instruction, that you can not terminate a flue within 600mm of the boundary when the flue outlet is facing the boundary. A plume kit will not solve this in this situation.

Thanks guys, we're all in agreement.
What annoyed me was when the customer told me the builder said I could put a plume kit to deflect the plume from the neighbour's garden.
Maybe I can fit a shoddy boiler and this builder will commission it and put his name on it then.

Why do customers listen to builders when it comes to heating and gas? I've seen it here on anothrr thread, builder advising flue is correct so customer is taking no action despite GSR advising otherwise.

This customer hasn't come back to me yet. Maybe the builder really will fit it?

Think a plume kit let's you go down to 300mm from a boundary as you get the 600mm distance by sending the plume kit at a 45degree angle. But this looks like a lot less than 300mm.

Reply to Another one on plume kits in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone. The flue from my glowworm CXi boiler sticks out the side wall of our house in front of the kitchen window. It's around a metre away so isn't a safety issue, but it's a bit annoying all the same as it's directly in the line of sight. A bit of research suggests that a 'plume...
Replies
Views
Long story short I fitted a boiler for landlord last year and they were adamant they were to supply everything. At the end of it I mentioned it needed a plume kit to take it further out from the neighbouring house . It was 200 mm away said it needed 300 mm minimum gave them the product code and...
Replies
Views
I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to work out the best approach to fitting valves to my new towel rail, but i just don’t have the experience to know the best approach and would appreciate input from you guys. If i get this wrong, it’s going to be a major PITA to correct...
Replies
Views
I can't find anything in the viper book about this. Minimum distance from flue to boundary of next house is 600mm.. What if that wall had 2 air bricks and a vent?? Actual distance is 1.3m. Gonna replace the boiler but need to know if I need a plume kit. Will be fitting a Vaillant ecotec Plus...
Replies
Views
Doing a job where the standard flue terminal will be 1200mm to the side of a balcony. It's a new build and I think the residents will think it's a nuisance. Was thinking of fitting a plume kit and extending the flue vertically. There are balconies on each floor, so would need to extend by 3m...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock