Search the forum,

Discuss Shower wall profiles installed wrong way round in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

I've had a new shower cubicle done and the fitter has installed the wall profiles the wrong way around so the screws are on the outside (pic included).

He also sealed the enclosure on the inside even though the instructions explicitly say not to (though it wasn't possible to seal the verticals externally given the wall profiles being the wrong way around).

He also made the mistake of sealing the shower tray to the panels after installing the enclosure, instead of before.

He's agreed to dismantle the enclosure and replace it with a new one (a sensible decision I think given the amount of silicone to clean off), and acted like that would sort it. but I pointed out that the panels will have exposed drill holes once the wall profiles are in the correct position. He claimed he could add some kind of trim to cover them but my concern is (a) this will look naff and (b) it might not fit flush to the panel anyway since there would be silicone on the outside of the enclosure which would surely lift it slightly. It just sounds like a bodge to me, not a solution.

Thoughts appreciated. My gut is to insist the panels come off too. I know this is likely to rip the plasterboard with it but I suppose that's what happens with installing a shower cubicle, one mistake can cause a domino effect. I don't see why I should accept a crap solution when it was their mistake and they're supposed to be professionals.

Attachments

• 20210520_171032.jpg
    20210520_171032.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 47
Sounds like he's accepting he's made a mistake and he's trying to put it right.

Perhaps you need to discuss with him explaining what level of finish you require and find out whether he can deliver.

In terms of reasonableness, the question of the holes and how they are hidden does sound to be a purely cosmetic issue. I suppose it depends on how high his prices are - relative to what is typical for that sort of project in your local area. You would expect a higher quality of finish on a Rolls Royce than on a Citroen Dyane, but if you bought a Dyane and the brakes worked correctly, then you'd still be happy even if the rear wings weren't 100% symmetrical.

Sounds like he's accepting he's made a mistake and he's trying to put it right.

Perhaps you need to discuss with him explaining what level of finish you require and find out whether he can deliver.

In terms of reasonableness, the question of the holes and how they are hidden does sound to be a purely cosmetic issue. I suppose it depends on how high his prices are - relative to what is typical for that sort of project in your local area. You would expect a higher quality of finish on a Rolls Royce than on a Citroen Dyane, but if you bought a Dyane and the brakes worked correctly, then you'd still be happy even if the rear wings weren't 100% symmetrical.

I see your point yeah, although he hasn't apologised and his manner on the phone was definitely to put pressure on me to accept something less than ideal. He kept saying 'we really don't want to be taking the panels off'.

I just want the setup we agreed done correctly to be honest. I don't want some kind of trim as surely the whole point of enclosures is that they're as discreet as possible so I don't want extra metal adding. The trim would be outside the contract so legally he couldn't force me to accept it, not that I want to go down that road. My job is coming in at approx 2k so it's certainly not a cheap one (I'm in the North West).

I did wonder if the holes could be filled with some kind of silicone but again I feel like that would be a solution to a botched DIY job you're trying to salvage as best you can, not a job you've paid professionals for, and my eyes would always go to them.

Last edited:
Looking at what's been done, if I've got it right in my head, I'm thinking what will look weird is that, once the enclosure is reversed the panel will continue beyond the existing aluminium trim on the outside of the enclosure for only a few mm.

Perhaps a workable compromise would be for him to carefully cut a strip off the edge of the panel and re-finish it flush with the new (reversed) enclosure. Then what you'll be left with will be how it should have been in the first place.

Looking at what's been done, if I've got it right in my head, I'm thinking what will look weird is that, once the enclosure is reversed the panel will continue beyond the existing aluminium trim on the outside of the enclosure for only a few mm.

Perhaps a workable compromise would be for him to carefully cut a strip off the edge of the panel and re-finish it flush with the new (reversed) enclosure. Then what you'll be left with will be how it should have been in the first place.

My understanding is that the enclosure (it's a quadrant) needs to be at least 10mm in from the edge of the shower tray, and that the panels need to reach to the edge of the tray, hence they do go a little past the enclosure?

Can you post some more pictures?
Sure - here are some more but let me know if there's anything more that would help :)

Flooring being replaced separately and repainted obv.

Attachments

• 20210521_200327.jpg
    20210521_200327.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210521_101408.jpg
    20210521_101408.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210521_101416.jpg
    20210521_101416.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 35

Reply to Shower wall profiles installed wrong way round in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock