Search the forum,

Discuss Low gas pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Just finished commissioning the Vaillant boiler. Pressure slightly low at 2.76 m3/h. 30kW. Old boiler was a 24kW.

Tested the hob and all burners go out on simmer. Owners reckon this is a new thing.

Only hob and boiler on gas.

Pipework from meter is 22mm, goes in house and under floor in 22mm approx 3-3.5m. Comes out of floor where boiler is in 15mm.

Standing pressure 24mbar
Working pressure 21.5mbar

Undersized pipework I'm thinking.

Right or wrong??

How far is the run to the hob? Meter to first tee, tee to to boiler, then tee to hob. Any other appliances??

Last edited:
Gas rate of 2.76 is nearly spot on for a gross 30kw appliance?

Gas rate of 2.76 is nearly spot on for a gross 30kw appliance?

Min as per mi is 2.9.. hob tees off under the boiler which is about 2 meters away

Doesn't sound undersized to me for that distance.

whats pressure at meter working and then at boiler (full rate) no more than 1.5mbar drop if more its pipework / blockage

whats pressure at meter working and then at boiler (full rate) no more than 1.5mbar drop if more its pipework / blockage

21.5 working 16 at boiler inlet. Def pipework. Have disconnected hob and put boiler at risk. Am thinking of running the external 22 pipe in 28.. about 2 meters.

21.5 working 16 at boiler inlet. Def pipework. Have disconnected hob and put boiler at risk. Am thinking of running the external 22 pipe in 28.. about 2 meters.

theres your problem new gas line

You reckon I could get away with upping the accessible 22mm to 28mm - about 2 meters

depends if theres a blockage in the floor, as 22mm should be enough

as 30kw at 5m with 8 elbows gives you a loss of 0.60 mabar

the boiler inlet gas valve filter isnt blocked is it?

Last edited:
depends if theres a blockage in the floor, as 22mm should be enough

as 30kw at 5m with 8 elbows gives you a loss of 0.60 mabar

the boiler inlet gas valve filter isnt blocked is it?

Shouldn't be its a brand new boiler. Apparently hob was working fine before the install. But soon as I removed the meter I capped it and pipework with dust caps. Soon as I cut the gas under boiler I capped the pipe so nothing could drop into it.

I'll have the check the gas ISO valve make sure I didn't put it wrong way round, but that would only affect the boiler anyway.

Shouldn't be its a brand new boiler. Apparently hob was working fine before the install. But soon as I removed the meter I capped it and pipework with dust caps. Soon as I cut the gas under boiler I capped the pipe so nothing could drop into it.

I'll have the check the gas ISO valve make sure I didn't put it wrong way round, but that would only affect the boiler anyway.

i would pull the gas valve just to check mesh

other than it being 15mm in the floor should be under 1.5mbar drop

i would pull the gas valve just to check mesh

other than it being 15mm in the floor should be under 1.5mbar drop

Gutted was gonna use this as part of my Inspection .. oh well

I'll pop round tomorrow and have a look at the gas valve.

Cheers Shaun

Someone may have already asked this, what's the working pressure at the meter with all apliances running?
Does it alter when the the boilers on and then the hob? Becaouse it sounds like regulator to me.

Someone may have already asked this, what's the working pressure at the meter with all apliances running?
Does it alter when the the boilers on and then the hob? Becaouse it sounds like regulator to me.

Tested and 21.5 when both are on, 21.5 when one appliance is on

Get rid of the 15 mm to boiler and increase the min burner rate at hob ?
Or have I miss understood your post.

Apologies if I have, its late on a Sunday !

Can you cut a tee with a test nipple on to the hob, and then look? Might be a restriction in the hob or isolater.

Where are you testing the pressure at the boiler? If the gas valve Vaillant say upto 3.5 mb can be lost from boiler iso to gas valve test point. I alway fit one right under boiler so I know exactly what my pipe is loosing.

Where are you testing the pressure at the boiler? If the gas valve Vaillant say upto 3.5 mb can be lost from boiler iso to gas valve test point. I alway fit one right under boiler so I know exactly what my pipe is loosing.

Still doesn't account for 1mb drop.. 5.5mbar it dropped in total.. so 1 from meter to boiler, 3.5 from ISO at boiler to inlet on gas valve leaves another 1mbar unaccounted for

Still doesn't account for 1mb drop.. 5.5mbar it dropped in total.. so 1 from meter to boiler, 3.5 from ISO at boiler to inlet on gas valve leaves another 1mbar unaccounted for

Have you checked your pockets?

Have you checked your pockets?

No but your pipework may not be loosing as much as you initially thought.

Very true. Dunno wether to blast pipework with a compressor to try clear any blockages or just do a new run. Going round tomorrow to check the gas valve and ISO valve. Will see what they say.

sorry but i disagree the hob wouldnt be going out due to 1 mbar, also ive never found anything near what mis say for gas valve restriction normally around 0.5-1 mbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Low gas pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock