Search the forum,

Discuss Installing New Mixer Tap & Valves in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I'm installing a new mixer tap in my kitchen. The current setup doesn't have any isolation valves so was thinking I'd cut the pipe, install a couple of flat faced isolation valves and then screw the flexi's into that. My question is, should I be using PTFE on the threads, joining compound on the olives or nothing at all? Seems to be a lot of conflicting advice online.

Thank you

1. Never use PTFE on threads, except when the water seal is made on the threads themselves, which only happens on steel fittings, or on brass threaded fittings like bushes.
2. Compression fittings seal by compressing the olive between two sloping faces. This squashes the olive so that it forms a water tight seal with both the pipe and the fitting. On new fittings there is no real need for any additional sealant. On fittings that are being re-used it is prudent to wrap PTFE tape around the olive, or to use something like Jet Lube V2 or similar to accommodate minor marks or mis-alignments in previously used parts. Despite the foregoing, I use a little V2 even on new fittings, mainly to avoid any possibility of a call back.

Reply to Installing New Mixer Tap & Valves in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock