Search the forum,

Discuss High gas pressure... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pssst

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I'm sure im preaching to the converted but just a reminder that the low pressure tier goes up to 75mb and it is quite possible to see elevated pressures on low pressure services so if you use a water guage, you may well find that the water disappears over your shoulder when you turn the ECV on. I visited a job recently where a GSR undertaking work was perturbed at the seemingly high pressure. He only had a 12" WG and thought the regulator was faulty. There was close to 50mb on the service. The important things of course are that the ECV doesnt let by,the regulator locks up and that it regulates when gas is flowing.

On a domestic house ? If it is the problem is gas the gas valves handle that sort of pressure when there designed for a max of somthing like 30mbar

I'm sure im preaching to the converted but just a reminder that the low pressure tier goes up to 75mb and it is quite possible to see elevated pressures on low pressure services so if you use a water guage, you may well find that the water disappears over your shoulder when you turn the ECV on. I visited a job recently where a GSR undertaking work was perturbed at the seemingly high pressure. He only had a 12" WG and thought the regulator was faulty. There was close to 50mb on the service. The important things of course are that the ECV doesnt let by,the regulator locks up and that it regulates when gas is flowing.

If he thought the Regulator was faulty, I presume he was testing on the consumers side of it?

In that case he shouldn't have got 50mb. You should only be getting up to 75mb on Low Pressure before the Regulator.

You can have up to 40mb on the outlet side of a Regulator on low pressure but not on domestic installations. Most domestic Regulators will lock up well before that. Normally around 25-30mb unless they're faulty.

Is this domestic ?

Forgive me in advance if I have misunderstood your post.

Last edited:
Yes, im just saying that its quite possible to have over 30mb on the service and in this scenario it was closer to 50. The downstream installation was of a reasonable length. The GSR was a bit quick turning on the ecv so it blew his gauge water. As stated the important thing is that the reg locks up and it regulates when flow occurs. If the system has been fully depressurised then its quite possible that if the ecv is whacked on too quickly,the downstream pressure exceeds lockup as the reg hasnt been given time to react due to the downstream leg having been completely depressurised. The main ponit is, yes can have a fair bit more than 26-30mb on a LP service..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to High gas pressure... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock