Search the forum,

Discuss Extractor Fan Advice in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

A close relative has moved to a new property and there is a small ground floor toilet room with a non working extractor fan fitted to the ceiling. The make of the fan is "Sector" and when removing the cover it has two time settings I am guessing for how long the fan stays on after switch off. Please can someone suggest a replacement for this fan since the Sector brand does not seem to exist any more. Is this a standard extractor or is it a timed extractor? It is meant to come on with the light and remain on for a few minutes after light turned off.

https://media.NoLinkingToThis/is/image/ae235/Manrose?$fxSharpen$=&wid=107&hei=50&dpr=on

MANROSE XF100T 100MM (4") AXIAL BATHROOM EXTRACTOR FAN WITH TIMER WHITE 240V (15927)​

If it's triggered by the light being switched on then the fan will have permanent Live feed and a switched Live from the lights to trigger the timer.
So in the wiring connections there will be Earth, Neutral, Live, Switched Live.

Please can someone suggest a replacement for this fan since the Sector brand does not seem to exist any more. Is this a standard extractor or is it a timed extractor? It is meant to come on with the light and remain on for a few minutes after light turned off.
Any 4" mains extractor fan of the same type should replace it.
The 'Sector' fan you describe was available in several versions, without timer, with timer and with pull cord. There was also a low voltage model with separate transformer.
If it's like the one in the pic below with three mains terminals (as snowhead describes above) then it's timed and will run on for ten minutes or so after the light is off.
If you look at (for example) the Screwfix website you will see quite a selection of current models, from cheaper ones (as suggested by cjg ) to others that might be quieter, and/or have a shutter to keep the draft out when the wind is blowing etc etc.

IMG_0517.jpeg

Many Thanks,
CJD, Snowhead and Basher.

The fan is in a downstairs toilet in the middle of the building so I am guessing the wind wont be a problem although I must admit I have no idea where the fan duct go to. As Basher says, I am now clearer that the old fan is indeed, a timed fan. The reason I asked for help was the concern that the casing for the entry of the wiring may be different in a replacement. I am no electrician so am hoping that the new fan will enable me to install it as closely to to the old as is possible without rerouting wires and soldering on extensions and assorted aggravations. Are you saying that any 4" fan of this type will fit without the hassle I mentioned?

Your concern is a valid one as cable entry points and distance from there to the connecting blocks varies between makes and models.
Two approaches i) internet trawl looking for diagrams etc that might show such information.
ii) remove your fan and take it with you to electrical factors or screwfix etc where you can ask to see the physical fan and compare it to yours.
When you remove your fan , investigate whether there is extra cable available- if there is you may not have to worry unduly about gettting precisely the same layout in the new fan.

Reply to Extractor Fan Advice in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock