Search the forum,

Discuss Checkatrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Is it worth registering???

Saw a plumbing and gas van few weeks back and the colours on the logo just didn`t look right, left me thinking local print shop had made them up for him.

From what I hear , you get your fair share of idiots on it telling you what to charge

Saw a plumbing and gas van few weeks back and the colours on the logo just didn`t look right, left me thinking local print shop had made them up for him.
Lol oh dear

There has been thread(s) on it before, seems to work for some but not others, think it depends more on location.

There has been thread(s) on it before, seems to work for some but not others, think it depends more on location.
I should have searched for prev threads, brains not in gear!! Think I'll give it a miss then if it's not spot on for everyone

Mike Jackson on here gets a lot of work from them and it works for him. But it's a lot of money and they are only interested in collecting it. They struggle to publish bad reviews if at all.
Tried it for a year, they chased me hard in the last two months of membership to renew. As soon as I declined to renew I had a letter within 48 hours saying if I did not remove any advertising with checkatrade or they would sue me.

Just another company gaining an income on the back of others.

The workload you might get from it is very random, it depends on where you live, how many registered in your vicinity, and their weird carousele system of bringing you up and down the list. What I find is some weeks are totally dead other weeks get few calls a day not that its any good cos they want you now and you end up declinining work.

So to summarise
+ it will pay for itself
+ you can potentially have customers that will come back to you (unlikely because the reason why they are on checkatrade in first place is they want plumber they want one now they dont care about anything else)

- totally random uncontrolable amount of enquiries you receive
- completely no control over types of work you receive (i've had someone asking me to come round to look that there is NO leak on party wall and tell their neighbours the same)
- constantly have to pretty much lick customers arses if they take **** and want free work you just put up with it one bad review and you are done on checkatrade
- if things go well you then become too complacent and rely on checkatrade by itself, the above happens - good luck paying off your mortgage then.

I'm trying to rely less on it, as I said it just swings too much.

Last edited:
Im on it and its very up and down some weeks i get loads of work from it others not a jot.

What really grates me with it tho is how some customers behave so you tend to tread lightly around them . For e.g i had a checkatrade customer supply a electric shower which had a fault .I phoned in the manufacturer as she told me it was new they issued her a call out charge as the shower was second hand .
Thus she was billed twice and somehow that according to her was my fault and i ended up with a snotty reference and low marks.

Im on it and its very up and down some weeks i get loads of work from it others not a jot.

What really grates me with it tho is how some customers behave so you tend to tread lightly around them . For e.g i had a checkatrade customer supply a electric shower which had a fault .I phoned in the manufacturer as she told me it was new they issued her a call out charge as the shower was second hand .
Thus she was billed twice and somehow that according to her was my fault and i ended up with a snotty reference and low marks.

Yeah that's stupid.. Her fault for buying a 2nd hand shower but you get the brunt end of it.. Think I'll leave well alone for now

I'm on it and it has done ok for me on the 1st year. Nowhere near as good on the 2nd year so far but there is now loads of people on it and they seemed to have changed how people are listed so not sure if I'm going to bother next year.

the less said about checkatrade the better, it is turning into trip advisor where customers deliberately slag you off for no good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Checkatrade in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I have just joined, after being pushed into some DIY plumbing. Here is my first plumbing DIY effort. I had a cistern lever that didn't flush properly, and had become corroded and unsightly. I figured I'd get a plumber in to do it (after a couple of years apologising to guests for...
Replies
Views
A
My boiler will not heat up past 50 degrees. This is the temperature that is registering on the esi thermostat. Radiators have been bled not sure what else I can do
Replies
Views
D
  • Question
I have a friend who has offered to fit my new boiler to save on costs. He is competent but is retired and no longer gas safe registered. Is he able to fit most of the components and then a registered gas engineer connects the new boiler to the main gas line to save on costs? Or is this still...
Replies
Views
Honeywell made a natural gas leak detector for the home this is now discontinued. What other ones are available, and is it worth fitting them.
Replies
Views
Is it worth replacing a Potterton gold 9kw electric boiler with a hot water storage tank for a new Electric Combi Boiler ? Would there a reduction is electric consumption and therefore a saving ? Please advise
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock