Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester 28CDi Intermittent Fault. Hot water goes cold(usually when in the shower!) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moonbeam

Hi, I have a problem with my boiler. It seems to be worse when the weather is bad. Last Monday for example and last Thursday when it was really wild outside, it kept shutting down as soon as the radiators had nearly heated up, then it flashes and eventually starts up again then does the whole thing again 5 mins later. carries on like this all evening. However, since the wind has died down its worked fine and the rads are so hot you can't touch them and it doesn't switch off once!!!! Also when its playing up it tends to wait until I am in the shower with my hair wet, then it goes freezing cold, when you go down to check the boiler the light is flashing again and you have to press the red button or wait for it to restart itself. Nightmare!!! I am desperate now, its been going on for ages (although not had any problems through the summer?). I have an engineer coming tomorrow but he said its just coincidence with the wind and it sounds like the circuit board needs replacing. Just wondered if there were other things to try first since the circuit board sounds expensive! We live on the hills as well so when I say windy I mean the house was shaking! Surely this could affect the vent? The fast flashing Hot water light shows as an air flow problem in the manual, thanks in advance for any help!!!!!

Re: Worcester 28CDi Intermittent Fault. Hot water goes cold(usually when in the showe

If it's the old cdi look at the air pressure switch, tubes & venturi before the pcb

Re: Worcester 28CDi Intermittent Fault. Hot water goes cold(usually when in the showe

it could be a few things, it could be the wind but I really doubt it, sounds like it could be the APS has opened during operation, check for flue blockage and investigate the sense tube and pressure switch. but I understand this is something that you will have to mention to your gas man, please don't attempt yourself, it could be a quick fix if its just the tube blocked.

Our WB28CDi has had identical problem since we took it on with the house 2 years ago. It is 10 yrs old and over 6 engineers have looked at it. BG advise boiler is perfect & may be a flue problem. Suggested we get WB in to look at the flue. WB refuse to come out, since they don't do flues. Have got another local plumber to look - but since it is an intermittent problem, it worked perfectly throughout his visit...

He feels the flue is correct, but is returning to compare with similar WB 28CDi that he removed from a property this week.

A previous plumber advised us to change circuit board, at vast expense - and it made no difference. So this is an expensive experiment. Do everything else first. Also - the PCB supplied was a different design to that which we replaced. WB declared it was equivalent, and it plugged into the same places. So don't think it is causing any problems.

Fires up perfectly for HW through the summer, but once winter sets in properly the intermittent fault appears again. Same prob as Moonbeam has experienced.

Luckily we have an electric shower, so avoid the cold shower drama. But cold baths are no fun.

BG checked AP switch, fan, flue gases and made extensive tests. Have also changed the thermostat/time switch (wireless). There is no point changing a perfectly good boiler - especially if there is some other unidentified error causing the problem.

Through Googling the problem I see we are not the only 2 folk to have this maddening problem. WB must surely know that this model has a problem. There's surely not many different things it could be. Can somebody out there please help - this is madness through this cold weather.

HELP!!!

Is it possible that the flue could be too short, and not getting enough clearance? The cottage walls are very thick.

Is it possible that the flue could be too short, and not getting enough clearance? The cottage walls are very thick.

Hi,
I have the very same problem with my 28CDi RSF, did any of you ever get to the cause of the fault??
Hopefully you did as it is just over 2 years ago, that's a long time to put up with a cold shower!
Cheers

You need a gsr in to look at your boiler. We cannot and will not give advice on the installation or repair of boilers for your own safety.

Please go to Gas Safe Register | Ensure your gas engineer is registered. or post a thread in the 'I'm looking for a plumber / gas engineer' section of these forums remembering to include your location. [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

If you are gsr please increase your post count to 10+ then send a pm to either Gas man or Redsaw who will then check you and then give you access to the gsr private forum.

Thank you.

http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/central-heating-forum/42241-notice-gas-safety-related-advice.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester 28CDi Intermittent Fault. Hot water goes cold(usually when in the shower!) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock