Search the forum,

Discuss Who is responsible for installation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dessie

If a buildings reg. certificate says the gas work has been carried out by a person "on behalf of" another company, who do I chase for support / advice?

I was under the impression when I had my boiler fitted that the plumber had his own company, his name was on the paperwork when it came through a few weeks later, but the work was on behalf of another company I'd never heard of.

I now have an issue with paperwork/warranty, when I rang the company they said nothing to do with them, it was the individual that did the work?? Can they do that?

The fitter is listed as an engineer of this company on the gas safe website.. his own company is not registered..

I now cannot get hold of the fitter at the moment..

Who is ultimately responsible?

Thank you

that will be who your contract is with i would speak to gas safe if the fitter isnt registered then he is working illegally unless he is employed by the second company in which case the responsibility is theirs

Who provided you the quotation?

You obviously accepted it and had the work done in accordance to the terms of the quotation.

Were you informed that the work was going to be done by a third party?

How did you find the company that you thought were going to do the job?

Last edited:
He was recommended by another plumber who had done work for me before and he is well known in the plumbing trade so I didn't question it...
The quotation was provided by his own company and I believed his company carried the work out. I still have his business card ..
I've had his work checked and it's all good..
All I'm worried about is if he disappears off the face of the earth who is responsible for the initial fitting and warranty..
Gas safe have said it's the company on the buildings reg. but they're passing the buck as I'm finding a lot of people do once they take your money

i would chase the company that has registered the boiler if they have registered it it must be their responsibility and you have the written proof they were involved

Last edited:
He was recommended by another plumber who had done work for me before and he is well known in the plumbing trade so I didn't question it...
The quotation was provided by his own company and I believed his company carried the work out. I still have his business card ..
I've had his work checked and it's all good..
All I'm worried about is if he disappears off the face of the earth who is responsible for the initial fitting and warranty..
Gas safe have said it's the company on the buildings reg. but they're passing the buck as I'm finding a lot of people do once they take your money

Your contract is with the company you instructed and paid, not your problem if they subby the work out, get them to deal with the issue and they can chase the original installer

The boiler will be under warranty with the manufacturer. Try them if its a boiler problem.

Sounds like the fitter has used the company's GSR details to sign off the work, as an individual he isnt GSR, even though he is qualified to work with gas.
In case something goes wrong with the installation, you need to chase him, not the company - they will wash their hands.
In case something goes wrong with the boiler, you chase the manufacturer, they send out their own service engineers. If the problem developed due to incorrect/incomplete installation, the warranty can be void, and you're back to chasing the original installer.

Sounds like this guy is doing homers and using his companies GSR number to sign them off.

Although he is competent to work with gas it is still technically illegal as he is not registered to carry out works outside of the registered company.

Your recourse will always lie with the guy that came to fit it.

If you really want to put the cat amongst the pigeons then you could request a free inspection from Gas Safe to ensure it is installed correctly and safely.

If the boiler is under warranty then it would be the manufacturer to come out and effect any repairs. Warranty will be based on correct installation, registration and benchmark book completed.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Who is responsible for installation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock