Search the forum,

Discuss Where's my black grit coming from? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jshailes

I have a condenser bolier and have heard that black grit can accumulate in the condense outlet pipe. The reason I've been looking into this is that the copper pipe into the waste pipe is blocked with grit and I'm guessing it must have been either a reaction with the copper or a product of the boiler. Has anyone experienced this before?

I have a condenser bolier and have heard that black grit can accumulate in the condense outlet pipe. The reason I've been looking into this is that the copper pipe into the waste pipe is blocked with grit and I'm guessing it must have been either a reaction with the copper or a product of the boiler. Has anyone experienced this before?

it is fairly common to get small amounts of grit (or corrosion of the heat exchanger) in the condensate trap, but its unusual for it to block the discharge pipework, which by the way should be plastic,

i would replace in plastic, then get a gas safe guy to come and service the boiler, and give the heat ex a good rinse

condensate from a condensing boiler is fairly acidic and having it run off via cu tube is not the norm, you would normally run condensate away in plastic overflow pipe. I would think that the condensate has corroded the copper tube and caused it to block. which i that is the case is easily solved by replacing it with plastic overflow pipe or standard 11/4" waste pipe

see u beat me to it on this answer emerald, still at least we agree on the answer

Last edited by a moderator:
The condense pipe should never be copper, the condense is acidic and will disolve the copper pipe in about 6mnths, plastic should be used.
what boiler have you got? is it an old baxi, 133he etc? the black/ grey silt in the condensate trap is the aluminuim heat exchanger being eaten. Or it could be bits of the copper condensate pipe being eaten.

edit, beat to it by the above posters.

Last edited by a moderator:
hat trick of answers that all say the same thing, must be a first for the forum

Thanks for your replies guys. I have been aware about the copper but have just never got around to taking the floor up. The condensate was running out through a "CondenSafe" filter which I was hoping to remove the acidity, however I decided to remove this about 2 years ago because the condensate didn't drain freely through the unit which caused problems with the boiler. The only copper part of the system is shared with the bath/shower so plenty of fresh water flows through here.

So albeit the pipe needs replacing, my main concern is where this grit is coming from. It seemed to block so quickly - no problems until I had a bath last night at which point the water didn't drain and had to resort to syphon it.

I believe the exact model of the boiler is a Worcester Bosch 24Si

condense filters need annual replacement as the limestone inside will no longer work, and could your blockage be more to do with bath gunge than condensate?

Definately it could be bath gunge. The bath did overflow through the overflow holes which is probably the first time ever but I couldn't really understand how there would be enough gunge to block the pipe, but to be fair I'm struggling to see how anything could block it in such a short period.

I think my plan will be to do as everyone has suggested, replace the copper pipes. Is there any way to check if corrosion has occurred to heat ex? Also is the limestone filter really essential, like I mentioned it's been removed for last 2 years with no problems.

pics of black grit?, have a look at the clear condensate trap in the boiler, if this has no "grit" in it then the source is unlikely to be the heat ex

Image attached of a small amount of the grit removed from the blocked pipe

Attachments

• 2010-06-23 00.20.28.jpg
    2010-06-23 00.20.28.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 30
Ok. Blackcatgas mentioned to validate this check the condensate trap for grit. I'm not too sure where this is but I'll check the boiler manual tomorrow. If it is the heat ex, what could've caused this or is it general wear and tear? Also are they expensive/difficult to replace? Would I need a registered gas expert?

Ok. Blackcatgas mentioned to validate this check the condensate trap for grit. I'm not too sure where this is but I'll check the boiler manual tomorrow. If it is the heat ex, what could've caused this or is it general wear and tear? Also are they expensive/difficult to replace? Would I need a registered gas expert?

to be honest, you shouldnt really take the cover off, just get a guy round to service it, he should check and clear any build up of corrosion

General wear and tear, aluminuim heat exs are normaly very suceptable to this, I always thought that the WBs 24si were made of some sort of special brew metal, something silicate??..... that was resistant to the acidic condense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Where's my black grit coming from? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
Hi! I've been chasing the smell under our stairs/cellar for so long and have had many things fixed one by one, the smell still remains, next investigation is the boiler! They say a picture is worth a 1000 words. Here's 4: The boiler is a condensing boiler, I think it's a "Warmflow Utility...
Replies
Views
Jeff the lonesome
J
L
Boiler engineer said knocking noise and vibration was due to blocked condensate pipe due to boiler not being cleaned out regularly, cleaned it out but said he couldn't fix anything which was not inside the boiler. Company still charged me flat ÂŁ240 fee for the privilege! Now skint. Second...
Replies
Views
Blackcatgas
B
M
I have a vaillant combi and it has just been moved about a meter as i am converting the attic. the condensate has not been plumbed into the stack yet, put is poking through the wall. I have just realised i could easily plumb it into the soil stack internal as the boiler is sat 1m away from...
Replies
Views
REDSAW
R
B
Hi all whats the method of connecting the condensate pipe into sink waste under the sink?,all the boilers ive fitted have been external or internal on soil stack using strap on boss. Cheers.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock