Search the forum,

Discuss what should i be charging a builder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

hi guys,

ive managed to get some work off a builder that does a quite a few extensions. One problem is the fact that he is family (cousins husband)

I want to charge him a fair price but not go silly otherwise he might not ask me again.

upto now he wants me to install under floor heating on a job of his, both the ground and 1st floor. He will remove all floor boards etc and put insulation down, im just there to run pipe in and put manifold on walls and test. He then wants me to fit and ensuite and then a main bathroom. All this is for a complete house renevation so all new pipe runs to be put in. Then finally a boiler to be put in loft

so my question is, would you charge day rate or a price per job? what am i looking at per day off a builder

Last edited by a moderator:
He is unlikely to go with a day rate unless it is really low. Just price it up as you would normally then add a bit extra since he is related :wink:

Price what you want from job as if it were anyone else

I try to do that but I always feel I may be too expensive!! But on the other hand, I stop thinking how much he has put on his price to cover plumbing costs? Should they have quoted correctly, they ate always going to make money on other trades, just don't want it to be too much and me be too cheap

But it's extra work I wouldn't be getting, I'm confused

I hate it when people undervalue themselves.

Your trained, you have overheads, you have bills and living costs. Stop giving it away, charge a price you need, not what you want think he wants to hear. The once you have your price add a bit on for negotiating. I don't negotiate, my price is my price and if somebody thinks it's too much then they can get somebody else to do the work as I will walk away. But it will give you somewhere to go. Add on 200 then if he comes back and says that your price is a little more than he thought tell him you could knock off 100 at a pinch but that would be absolute rock bottom.

put in your normal price, if you dont do it someone else will and they will charge the normal rate so why should you loose out. think of it this way ultimately he's not paying you his customer is

Prices wil vary according to region and experience. The more you sort out for the builder the more you can charge i.e design system and order materials ect. In the south you can look at between £140 to £200 a day. You need to remember the builders can be your bread and butter.

I would never price work as XX£ a day and certainly would never employ someone on day rates. A day rate is a licence to spin the work out.
I know if it was me, i want a price. If i am happy with that they get the work. If they finish it in a day and make £1000 or a fortnight for the same money, who cares. I get what i paid for at an agreed price.

I would never price work as XX£ a day and certainly would never employ someone on day rates. A day rate is a licence to spin the work out.
I know if it was me, i want a price. If i am happy with that they get the work. If they finish it in a day and make £1000 or a fortnight for the same money, who cares. I get what i paid for at an agreed price.

Very true. Went to look at a job today, customer wants new oil boiler, toilet replacing, fan heater out rad in and over bath tiling. She said go ahead with no prices discussed. I said I would drop a price off tomorrow. Protects us both.

has he said if he wants it on day rate or a price as builders are different.
i work for a couple, one gives me a lot of work he trusts me enough to do it on day work.
im happy as i get a nice steady pay and it benefits him as with any building work things change, so un-foreseen problems are sorted without being extras.

I price each job as indervidualy, and for the builder/ firm, thers one firm I quote for that I quote straight from the retail book and a few days + 10% for the retainer! If I get the job i'm well in, If I don't I wont lose sleep as I always have to go and ask for the cheque and its always at least a week late!

For the family builder round the corner I price as I would for any other customer, but I make sure I'm avalialble when ever he rings and for whatever it is, drippy tap at the flat he rents I'm straight there and charge him a tenner as it was onthe way home! he's well happy and keeps the work coming.

the only trouble is when the builder has allowed a PC sum for the Plumbing, had this a couple of times, builder rings of you go do the work then he says That Much!! I only allowed £*** all you had to do was move that from there to there!! Half a day and bit of pipe!! I usuly ask what they have allowed so I know what I need o head for!!

Whoever it is don't belive it when they say do this one a bit cheap and I've got loads more for you!!

What ever you feel like pricing and whoever it is your pricing for you still need your minimum wage to run the van and put food on the table!

Sorry for the waffle, hope this is of some help!!

Why not firstly work out a day rate which is adequate for you. This may be £100 a day £150 a day or whatever. Dont be greedy this is simply what you need operate your business and cover your living expenses with a little profit, its different for everyone.

Whatever the job is, picture yourself doing it, go through it clearly in your mind from leaving home to finnishing the job. How long do you believe it will take you to do the work. Now with that, work your day rate into it. So if your rate is £100 a day and you believe the job will take 3 days that will be £300.

With this now worked out add 10% to the total because no matter what something usually goes wrong and this should help cover any unforseen problems.

You are now in a position to speak to your client about a price. You can be comfortable in your mind your not ripping anyone off as youve worked out all the figures as best you can. Its a price, as far as you can see is fair. If challenged over your price you should feel confident that you are not overcharging.

With regards to family its a lovely thing to have, but business is business and never forget it.

It is a difficult one, but I think Gas fitters and Sparks are in a different league compared to the other trades due to ongoing training costs and running costs.

I know Plasterers who charge 200 a day but realistically although it's skilled there is a not a great deal to go wrong. Like everyone on here knows things can escalate and little jobs can turn to big jobs due to a multitude of things, and as such there needs to be allowances for this.
i think as long as your competent, confident, friendly and reliable you can charge a premium. I always charge a decent rate now. At the beginning I was charging less and doing extras for nothing to win business. This was a mistake and all it gets you is people expecting more for less. If I go to quote for a job now and think the custard is a tightwad/just wants the cheapest price I walk away. Whilst this may seem mad as its throwing work away, it sets a precident and as such you will find yours rate coming down to that of the other trades. It's also worth remembering the risks we take and responsibility of working with gas. This carries a premium in itself when it comes to charging.
when doing boiler swaps I look to earn around 800 out of a job as its what it's worth to me. This would be 2-3 days taking it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to what should i be charging a builder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock