Search the forum,

Discuss Weird pump set-up ??? Advice please.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hi there. My unvented heating system has a single pump which is located in the upstairs airing cupboard. The pump outlet feeds a motorised valve for the heating and a motorised valve for the hot water. However, there is also a direct feed from the pump to the return side of the hot water cylinder . Does this make sense to anyone please ??

Would it not be normal to have a bypass valve fitted ?? there is no valve on this system so I would have thought the pump flow would have followed the path of least resistance....

Would it not be normal to have a bypass valve fitted ?? there is no valve on this system so I would have thought the pump flow would have followed the path of least resistance..
Should be a bypass valve, take a pic of the set up so we can confirm if it's wrong or not.

As you can see in the photo... on the outlet of the pump there is a red valve (my mistake as I thought it was a safety valve) Assuming this is the bypass valve, then you can see it joins a pipe direct from the pump to the hot water return.. so effectively bypassing the bypass valve...the device in the foreground is the auto air vent which sits just before the motorised valve for the hot water flow(not in picture).

0BCFD034-0818-4A36-A2B3-4939E4197953.jpeg

It’s an automatic air bleed.. it’s not that big, it just looks it in the picture.. after the air bleed it goes to the motorised valve for hot water input..

The item with the red cap looks like an automatic bypass valve. Essentially its a spring loaded valve set to open when the pressure on the inlet side reaches a preset value. Thus if all your radiators are shut off, and the hot water motorised valve is closed, the pressure on the valve increases, and any excess hot water is shunted directly from flow to return to provide a cooling path for the water.

Hi there. You will also see though that there is a bypass pipe that runs straight from the pump to the return of the cylinder without going through the by pass valve. In other words there is an “always open” bypass.. which doesn’t seem to make sense to me...

If it ain't broke then?, it must be some pump to give sufficient head to still satisfy both systems when there could be something like 30 LPM recirculating through that by pass piping assuming no orifice/restrictor fitted.

Reply to Weird pump set-up ??? Advice please.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock