Search the forum,

Discuss Vibration and scream from toilet! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattBCardiff

Hi, wonder if anyone can give any pointers on this problem or if its best for a pro to be called out....

The pipes around a toilet on the 3rd floor of my house have started to vibrate very severely when the toilet is flushed, the water does NOT backup at all.

This first happened after the toilet wasnt used for about a month and hasnt gone away. The vibration lessens if i turn on the cold tap and eventuallys stops after about 3mins. Most recently after leaving the toilet for several days I noticed when I returned that sewage and come back round the U bend.

To me it sounds like a blockage but wanted some views before I call out Dynorod or someone.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like two unrelated problems to me.

If there's been no further problems with foul water returning to the pan I wouldn't worry about it.

The vibration is water hammer. Probably caused by wear to the float operated valve in the toilet cistern or the one in the cold water cistern in the roof space. This can cause damage to the pipework if left.

Mike

Hi As [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/members/mike-jackson.html"]Mike Jackson[/DLMURL] has explained water hammer is the likely culprit. If you purchase a torbek type ball valve this will almost certainly cure the problem. Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
As the guys say its the fill valve vibrating on the seat of the rubber valve, I tend to term this as "chattering" rather than water hammer.

For the OP water hammer is the concussive effect of water being suddenly shut off and comming to an abrupt stop. So the valve seat "chattering" is causing the hammer or, as you hear, its more of a high pitch scream! (I've never heard a hammer screaming, only me after I've hit my thumb with a hammer!!!!!)

Replace fill valve. Simples

5 years old! I expect that Torbeck valve that someone suggested has failed again already by now!

I didn't even have hairs on my chin back then....

Yeah I know, I know

PMSL

I also posted on another thread from a link at the bottom of the page thinking they were recents threads, silly newbi me!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vibration and scream from toilet! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock