Search the forum,

Discuss uk stops all smart meter installations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or have they stopped installing ones incompatible with each others services !

( some issue with a Business electric one-- or just a "Lame" excuse --Sorry LP )​
:willy_nilly:

It's amusing that the people opposed to Smarts on Health and Privacy grounds most likely use wireless mouses, mobile phones, tablets, remotes for entertainment equip.
Have wireless networks at home, work in buildings with wireless networks use social media and post information about themselves all over the Web.

But hey, you have to have something to complain about.

I have a smart meter in my house. I never realised until I married it. Tight as a No. 10 in red plug
she likes it cool

I have a smart meter in my house. I never realised until I married it. Tight as a No. 10 in red plug
she likes it cool
That was so work-related it made me sick.

Article is total bull**it.

The UK smart meter mass roll out program has been extended to give more time for the energy companies to trial the systems and ensure that the common data collection which is due in 2014, works as designed. This will ensure that if a customer changes supplier, the meter will continue to work without requiring changing.

The safety of UK systems is already proven. There is full information on the Department of Energy & Climate Change website.

The UK smart meter mass roll out program has been extended to give more time for the energy companies to trial the systems and ensure that the common data collection which is due in 2014, works as designed. This will ensure that if a customer changes supplier, the meter will continue to work without requiring changing.

The safety of UK systems is already proven. There is full information on the Department of Energy & Climate Change website.

You didn't used to work in sales did you?!?

Or perhaps for one of the manufacturers of the smart meters or even one of the energy providers?!?

The issue of the security risk is absolutely real! Just the same as there are issues with the Internet & wifi these meters use similar technology to mobile phones which are also susceptible to security breaches.

The health issue perhaps are scaremongering the same as wind turbines & mobile phone masts.

Department of Energy & Climate Change website? Sounds like a source we can totally trust to tell the truth.

There are very few smart meters out there anyway and all this talk of damaging radiation is pure baloney..

The "190 000 pulses of microwave radiation" stuff is just scare-mongering nonsense ... I'm reminded of the joke campaign to ban the dangerous substance dihydrogen monoxide, implicated in many deaths each year (mostly drowning: it's H20!) Your mobile phone puts out a few thousand "pulses of microwave radiation" every X seconds even when idle, jumping to thousands of pulses per second when making a call.

I'm a bit wary of the "smart meter" pressure from the government given their eco-agenda of trying to put us all into fuel poverty to meet "green" targets we never voted for, not to mention the privacy/security problems ('ah, power usage just dropped right off, probably gone out', burglars/others cutting the power for malicious reasons or mischief), but the fact it uses a tiny mobile phone to send something akin to text messages occasionally isn't one of the reasons.

I must admit, my inner lazy git does fancy the "not having to do meter readings yourself" aspect...

There are very few smart meters out there anyway and all this talk of damaging radiation is pure baloney..

not quite true as all radio waves fm low frequency upto micro wave can have a detremental effect dependant on range, power and timescale. If you were to stand in front of one of her majesties targeting radar on the old type 42 destroyers for a short time at fairly close range, it was my understanding your eyeballs wouldnt work again, your balls certainly wouldnt and your guts would roast. thats on a fairly big old toy, so taking it down the scale, smaller transmitters can do harm in the long term, just spent too much time sitting in amongst the old radio waves and things can start to go wrong in the old brain cells and other areas. Hence why anyone wanting to work on the ships transmitters large or small always went through a stringent process of locking them off.

not quite true as all radio waves fm low frequency upto micro wave can have a detremental effect dependant on range, power and timescale. If you were to stand in front of one of her majesties targeting radar on the old type 42 destroyers for a short time at fairly close range, it was my understanding your eyeballs wouldnt work again, your balls certainly wouldnt and your guts would roast.

That sounds about right ... you're basically microwaving yourself. Could be apocryphal, but I'm told that's how the microwave oven was invented ... one of the radar guys discovered his chocolate bar melted from sitting in front of the emitter horn, figured out he had a new way of cooking stuff.

I'm not sure about the various radars on the 42, but naval radars come in sizes of a megawatt or more - the meter will be somewhere around the 1 watt mark, a million times less, and transmitting for a tiny fraction of a second occasionally, instead of being on continually to scan for threats, and you'll be further away from your meter than standing right in front of it - all in, maybe 10,000,000,000 times less exposure than standing in front of the radar. It's a bit like worrying about getting a sunburn from the little standby light on your TV...

the main problem now is that in general we are being bombarded by various rf sources fm all round and it just cant be good for the old body in the long term, as far a smart meters go youd have to rest your gonads on them for a few years or so to notice anything :), however longterm use of early phones probably wasnt much good to the old brain and a few yuppies may be suffering now but not a great loss to the world in general, more of an issue is kids and mobiles which some scientific sources are beginning to see as an issue, long term there will probably be restrictions once any of todays youngsters are seen to be keeling over in years to come.

Just remember not to stand too close to microwave-Oven
A wet tea towel will protect you !

Designs change, profits get made .
Looking forward to my fast country wide Wifi , (or affordable 4G)

Of course its all a matter of scale. For example, winter Hill TV transmitter belts out 100Kw at over 900Mhz. One would be foolish to stand close to its radiating element. Equally a local mobile phone mast could be a couple of Kw at high frequency. dont get too close ! Its all about power output,frequency and proximity.

The only point I want to add to this is we have a choice to turn off our phone, wireless, sat nav's, computers etc, we cant turn off a smart meter. And this will be good to prevent the utility companies from forcing people to have smart meters.

Long term more monitoring ( signing away privacy-if want energy )
eventually becomes better fraud detection / trend spotting .
Better prediction of supply/demand (EVEN-less-in-reserve)
Money getting saved by lower staffing/outside contracting costs for reading/better buying strategy.
I'm sure it's important
( Like HS2 its hard to stop )

From what I gather it isn't compulsary to have a smart meter. However, the long term goal is to provide 1/2Hr billing tariffs which would make energy consumption more expensive at peak times but cheaper at other times of the day. (Rather like a flexible Economy7) thus smoothing out the peaks and troughs in generation. For those able to change their habits, valuable savings could be achieved, those who keep a dumb meter would pay higher rates. If that is the case, I wonder how many may change their minds.

It will of course have benefits for pre-pay meters as there is no card to lose and it will help in the fight to prevent energy theft which ultimately adds costs to everyones bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to uk stops all smart meter installations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock