Search the forum,

Discuss Training advise! OLCI and BTSC in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smoakes1

Hi
I'm currently in the process of deciding the best way to properly qualified as a plumber to make the transition from office job to working for myself.
I've had a fair amount of experience renovating several properties, replacing rads, pipework etc
I've been looking at several companies mainly OCLI and BTSC for training on evenings, weekends and at home. To get qualified C&G 6129 and on to my NVQ level 2.
Just wanted to know if anyone had any advice for me or experiences of these companies?
Thanks in advance!

did all my training with olci, brilliant, no rush, very informative, great tutors, if u do not understand ask and u will get the help u need, can not say the same for their admin in london though.

Can only give feedback on olci. Former student, did my 6129 and nvq2 in London with them. Sounds like it could fit you quite well, I stayed in my old job and did the training in my spare time but sometimes had to take a few days off work too, took about 10 months. good teachers and centre was well kitted out, so cant ask much more.

hi there just thinkiing of doing city & guilds 6129 with olci cardiff just wondering if anybody has done it with cardiff branch and how easy was it for you to do the nvq2 with them .
any answers would be welcome

I would certainly recommend olci, and the London branch at that. There is a heavy emphasis on theory (for getting through the assessments), but I think this is all to the good in the end. On the practical, I can say that the instructors are first-rate, and the tasks and exercises very helpful. The program is well organized yet expensive. Well worth it, however.

Save your £5k and buy a good plumbing book and some basic plumbing tools. There is nothing you will learn on this course that you can't teach yourself. An NVQ 2 is worth very little to employers, especially in the current climate. I think you will be lucky to find a job - most employers do not rate these courses.

Assuming you are a mature learner, your best bet by far is to do the above and use the £5k to buy your own van and tools. Start up yourself by taking on small jobs your are comfortable with. Top tip - turn down anything you aren't or pass it onto another local plumber and work with them for the experience.

Paying out £5k to train with OLCI was the biggest mistake and waste of money I made starting my own plumbing business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Training advise! OLCI and BTSC in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello everyone, so I've decided to embark on my journey to becoming a qualified plumber. However, i am unsure if these training courses and providers are legit. My brother had an experience a few years ago that turned to be a scam. The company name is 24/7 Training UK. Weekly payments of 45 quid...
Replies
Views
Over the summer I completed a level 2 diploma in plumbing (City and Guilds 6035) with Able Skills and am now looking to complete the NVQ level 2. Access training are offering an assessment package for £1500, which is competitive, but I am now nervous given the reviews I have seen on here. I am...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon all Apologies for the forward request but I believe in 'if you don't ask you don't get'! I am 38 years of age and live in Bromley, SE London/Kent border and I've had previous experience in plumbing but as we all know you can't learn everything from a plumbing course and text...
Replies
Views
H
Hello, I've had a look through numerous threads on here and i feel as though none have answered my particular circumstance, so i thought i'd post this thread :detective: I am currently in my mid twenties and despite earning an incredible four figure weekly salary, i don't like what comes...
Replies
Views
I
Hello to you all! I am thinking of doing an all intensive course with OLCI so i can become a plumber. So far they are quoting me £5995 which includes: C&G 6035-02 NVQ Level 2 Diploma in plumbing As an incentive they will include 4 additional green/renewable modules on top for free...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock