Search the forum,

Discuss towel rads need a boost in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil T

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
I've been to see an old customer who is having a problem with a couple of towel rads in a bathroom.
It's a 'very' big old victorian house with 3 floors and basement (looks and feels like a hotel inside) and has 2 boilers in basement. Heating works perfectly for rest of house and customer wants to add a pump to the pipework to the towel rads with a manual switch so he can control when he wants them warmed. I suggested just fitting electric rads if he was going to do that but they are big towel rads and doesnt want to replace them.
Also the distance from programmer to the bathroom would rule out any extra wiring for a new stat and converting to wireless isn't an option to him at the moment or i would of suggested adding an extra 'zone'.
He's an old engineer and reckons his idea would work but i'm a bit sceptic about it. Wouldn't it cause a problem to main circuit if he added the pump on that pipework? (its about a 10m run to the towel rads and they are on 1st floor of house)
I have a feeling i'm missing a simple answer to this but thats why i'm writing on here :)
Any ideas?

Id be wanting to know if it worked before or shut down a few rads to see if they work. Could just need rebalancing, could be the start of becoming sludged up. Could drop a couple of bittles of cleaner in it for a week and then drain and flush through.

Don't you just love ''Engineers''?
If I were in your shoes, I will gladly go with his suggestion (after getting him t sign a disclaimer). Once they are convinced their ideas are the right ones, you may just as well be banging your head on a stone.
Should you choose not to go ahead with his idea, then whatever you do must work perfectly or he will say: ''If only you had done what I had suggested, all would have been ok now''

Fit a pipe stat on primaries and control pump with that but where on earth will you fit said pump? Two boilers? Header? Or one 65kw open vent doing a 200l vented cylinder on the moon and 15kw balanced flue doing ch?

he wants pump within a meter of rads and control switch outside of door. surely that will interfere with rest of system if he switches that on then the other rads on that floor and floor above would be affected. going to try simonG suggestion first then maybe try and swing him towards my electric rad idea ... will save time and any further probs but i don't think he'll go for it

Cheers kay-jay, I'm gonna have a chat with customer tomorrow and see if I can swing him that way. Seems a good compromise and saves me going backwards and forwards to tinker with any further probs caused with system. Got a spark on stand by to fit fused spur and controller just in case :)

Oh, apparently rads have never worked properly, never managed to get full heat to them. Think there has to be a piping issue as they are pretty far from main circuit and still no joy when other rads are shut off. So rather than try and sort where and how, gonna go for quick and easy solution above.

The Shower Power Booster (UKPF Sponsor) has an additional application which might be just what you need. Follow the ad above and call the inventor he will be pleased to talk to you. CHKing

After getting customer round to thinking the dual fuel heating elements were a good idea, he has now decided the quote was too much and he wants to work on the system again. I have messaged Alan about the radiator booster that you suggested Centralheatking, and it looks like it could be a winner. He gets a pump that he insisted on (just not a daft 5m head one) and a cheaper quote, and I get an easy installation. Just waiting to hear from Alan :D

Installed the rad booster today and towel rails are working a treat. Nifty litle pump and easy install too :)
Will use again if opportunity pops up

The shower booster one from one of this sites sponsors. Its fitted on a sepetate run off the main circuit to a bathroom. It seemed to be being bipassed as there was no circulation to the towel rad. The booster pump is connected to a standard plug so can be switched on and off when needed with no disruption to rest of system. I also fitted an iso valve that was just open so when it was on it just took enough to heat the rads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to towel rads need a boost in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm going to have my bathroom renovated and that includes changing my rusty old rad for a towel rail. I wanna cut down the costs as much as possible so there's things I want to do myself. In order to change the rad I'll have to turn off the lock shields then slowly drain the rad. The thing is...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Background I have a small one-bedroom flat in the roof space in a victorian house. There are three floors below and each floor has a single one-bedroom flat. The mains pipe bringing water into my top-floor flat is 15mm copper pipe. There is a water meter in the flat and a stop valve. There is...
Replies
Views
I have started fitting new radiators in my house. The lounge kitchen gets very cold in the winter and is a big room that has previously had an extension put on it and is 19.5 metres by 6.5 metres with a 2.25metre high ceiling. I started by replacing an old radaitor with a 1200x 600mm K2. Which...
Replies
Views
Hi, i've got a job with a Vaillant Ecotec 630 system boiler, and i don't know the full history but the house has definitely been extended significantly since the boiler was installed. There's now 21 radiators/towel rails. It's getting to temperature, but even after balancing, it's not heating...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock