Search the forum,

Discuss Towel left in boiler by engineer? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I took out a boiler insurance policy and an engineer came out first to check if my boiler was in a good condition to go ahead with the policy. The engineer said the pressure was too low and fixed the problem. At the end he said it was all fine and shouldn't be a problem, the water was a bit dirty in the system but he didn't think it was worth doing anything about it.
A few days later i got an e-mail saying that the report had showed that the boiler needed some repairs and the policy was frozen until it was fixed. I inquired and they said they had done a water sample (the engineer never mentioned this) and that the system needed flushing at a cost of £750. I questioned this and asked for a report. In the meantime i was checking the boiler pressure when i noticed the end of a towel sticking out the boiler casing. I took the bottom off and found one of my kitchen towels stuffed into the middle of the boiler!! I'm no expert but that seems dangerous to me, and he never mentioned it. I was there the whole time sitting in the next room chatting to him.
Report-
BHC failed due to water being dirty failed turbidity test pumped up flat expansion vessel tested all disturbed gas points with LDF and EGD inlet working pressure 18.79mbar gas rate 28.48kw fan speed -5.36mbar fga high 0.0010/9.3/97 fga low 0.0000/9.2/5 1-ncs interior side of flue not sealed

Any advice please??

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 41
So your boiler despite working ok doesn't meet the required standard to be insured, find somebody else preferably a local engineer/company that can offer you cover and you can trust.

It's not leaking is it and the towels were a preventative measure?

So your boiler despite working ok doesn't meet the required standard to be insured, find somebody else preferably a local engineer/company that can offer you cover and you can trust.

It's not leaking is it and the towels were a preventative measure?
No its not leaking which is why i couldn't understand it being there?

What are the terms of the Insurance, is it pay upfront, then subject to Boiler Health Check the policy goes ahead?
What if the boiler, as yours appears to, requires work or even replacing and you don't want to proceed, is it full refund or minus the cost of the Health check or ??

As gmartine has said, Look for cover with another company.

What are the terms of the Insurance, is it pay upfront, then subject to Boiler Health Check the policy goes ahead?
What if the boiler, as yours appears to, requires work or even replacing and you don't want to proceed, is it full refund or minus the cost of the Health check or ??
no upfront costs, has to pass the health check before the policy will start.

Has it ever been serviced or repaired? Your system may actually need cleaning then but you can get a flush done for far less than that quoted, the cleanliness of a system often corresponds to the reliability of the boiler. You may need to find specific cover for older boilers which will normally involve an excess.

Reply to Towel left in boiler by engineer? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

K
My conventional boiler needs to be replaced. One engineer suggested combi with an external pump because water pressure in my flat is low, the other said there's no need for a pump. He even said that if the pump would have a detrimental effect on the boiler. Who is right?
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning. The boiler seems to function well, and the pressure only drops with the heating and not the water being on. Ie it started last winter and was then...
Replies
Views
I have an old Modena 80 E combi boiler that is randomly short cycling on windy days. The burner goes out and re-ignites within a few seconds and continues to burn for between five and forty seconds before stopping again. Under normal conditions the boiler works fine but as soon as it gusts over...
Replies
Views
Some advice needed please re a 3 year old combi gas boiler. The hot water works but no heating. A gas engineer was already booked to do the annual safety check before the fault developed. He said the boiler is ok with no fault. He said there must be a leak under the floor boards causing hot...
Replies
Views
Hi need some advice on this odd story, I had a Bosch boiler installed just over 2 years ago by Governments home energy scheme. The company passed all checks, provided certs etc. The government/Green scheme sends 2 other gas boiler engineers to double and triple check things and One was Bosch...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock