Search the forum,

Discuss Toilets in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MattWeth

IMG_6041.JPG

I have a customer who wants me to change the old WC above. He wants to use an Armitage Shanks Sandringham (as sold by B&Q in their 'bathrooms to go' range). The only problem is that I can't find out if this WC can cope with a vertical soil in the position it currently is (200mm from the centre line of the soil to the wall). Does anyone know if this loo will fit or have any links to installation dimensions for the AS Sandringham?

cheers
Matt

Use a 90degree extended multikwik to connect the pan to soil.
You may have to box in behind the cistern to pack out the wall.

Use a 90degree extended multikwik to connect the pan to soil.
You may have to box in behind the cistern to pack out the wall.

Thanks mountainman.
It's having to pack behind the cistern that I'm concerned about - the customer doesn't want it (but I guess he might not have any choice ;) )

You could try a swan neck pan connector,available from plumbfix (screwfix),it takes the pan back a little bit further,its shaped like a question mark,hope this helps

You could try a swan neck pan connector,available from plumbfix (screwfix),it takes the pan back a little bit further,its shaped like a question mark,hope this helps

Thanks Glenno - that's what I've decided to do.

Just spoken to the customer who has accepted that it'll probably need a bit of boxing behind the cistern to pack it off the wall.

cheers
Matt

As Glenno says, use a swan neck and it will get you right back tight to the wall with the cistern. You can also cut a loo's spigot if you need to fit an extension to get back to the wall with a diamond tipped blade on a grinder, but practice on an old one first and use water sprayed on it as you cut!

As Glenno says, use a swan neck and it will get you right back tight to the wall with the cistern. You can also cut a loo's spigot if you need to fit an extension to get back to the wall with a diamond tipped blade on a grinder, but practice on an old one first and use water sprayed on it as you cut!

Thanks System.

I've not used a swan neck before so I'll give it a go on this job. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to chop a loo spigot though :D

Thanks System.

I've not used a swan neck before so I'll give it a go on this job. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to chop a loo spigot though :D

I'd need new pants after trying that I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd need new pants after trying that I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It's actually straight forward to cut one. As long as water is kept on it while cutting and a good quality diamond tipped blade is used. Fire clay drains can be cut like this too. Practice on an old one first!
Loos can be easily drilled too, using the drills from 365 drills.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've looked at the sizes matt and i reckon you will have to box cistern out by around 65-75mm. the base of the pan is the problem, it will be right up against the cast iron soil pipe so your not going to gain anything by using a swan neck pan connector or cutting the pan spigot.

i've looked at the sizes matt and i reckon you will have to box cistern out by around 65-75mm. the base of the pan is the problem, it will be right up against the cast iron soil pipe so your not going to gain anything by using a swan neck pan connector or cutting the pan spigot.

Thanks Johnny - I wasn't sure if the base of the pan might be recessed enough to let it sit a bit closer to the soil pipe.

I think I'll take a swan neck and a straight connector and see what works.

thanks all for the advice

cheers

I do maintenance and repair work for a local labour club and that pic is from the flat that belongs to the club for the steward to live in. The steward has a house so that flat is used as a staff only gaff for private kitchen and bog. when i went in to fix a leak i saw that and just had to snap it. Ingenious and ridiculous in one fell swoop ........

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You were spot on Johnny.

Did the job today and had to box out 70mm :)
A swan neck got me a closer than a standard 90 but as you said, the limiting factor was the pan hitting the soil pipe. The joinery took as long as everything else (and my flippin' drill driver died half way through). Still, at least the weather was good and I could do all the wood cutting outside.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

glad you got it sorted mate!
must have been raining the day the 3 90's got fitted eh? ......:stooge_moe:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilets in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock