Search the forum,

Discuss The right track to becoming a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Looking for some advice if possible please and thought it best to come direct to you guys :)
I'm creeping towards my maturer years and looking for the 'right' way to become a plumber.

Currently working for an Underfloor Heating company so not completely naive to the work but Id really like to get qualified. Basically to give me a better understanding of the whole system but also to give me some options in the future.

When googling around it seems there's plenty of courses but God knows which ones are legit/the right one/not scams.

I think I need to head towards an nvq diploma level 2/3 in plumbing & Heating?

With my current work I reckon I could get practical experience with some of my contacts. Is this something I could do without leaving my job or Is training & getting qualified really a full time thing.

Sorry if they're all silly questions but I'd love a bit of advice (and sorry if this comes up a lot). :)

As long as you’re in a decent college I don’t think it matters. I’d call round. Broach it with your boss they may know

Apologies Riley but I have to disagree.

The overwhelming majority of colleges are not interested in you learning. In the college system you are a commodity. They facilitate your 'passing' as that is how they get paid.

Unfortunately, the skills you acquire in your 'passing' bears little/no resemblance to the skills you require to hold down a job i.e. by being skilled enough to contributing more to the employers income than you cost.

This may be considered a negative post, but it is fact borne out by substantial research.

Your 'route' Pizza really depends upon your desired end point, aptitude and attitude and your need to earn. How would you describe them, what are they?

I do agree to an extent however I think compared to one of the training centres that just want your money then a college is the way to go

Your 'route' Pizza really depends upon your desired end point, aptitude and attitude and your need to earn. How would you describe them, what are they?

My desired end point would be to make a living, whether that's as an employee or on my own isn't fixed.
My aptitude and attitude is hard to prove but I've a proven track record that shows I can become qualified in other 'fields' and even as far as plumbing is concerned I'd say I'm beyond an averaging diy'er (I'd carry out most basic plumbing jobs myself in the home).
Now the need to earn currently is probably the most important one. I could definitely handle a reduced wage, perhaps even down to minimum wage for a few years, but I definitely couldn't handle no wages at all.

I really appreciate the feedback by the way and don't see them as negative. Its good to be realistic :)

How are you going to find this work then? How is it going to provide an income and the learning you are going to require??

That's exactly why I'm asking for advice on here, because I'm unsure of the answers.
I know many, many plumbers (acquaintances at work as well as friends) and a couple of them have offered to help me with the practical side of it.

I seem to be getting scrutinised on here to be honest for asking for a bit of advice :)

I'm under no illusion that I can just do a two week course and come out the other side a qualified plumber lol, I know that's far from the truth. I guess what I'm asking is what would be a typical path for a mature working guy to get into the industry.

Well go find out what they would require.
Anyone can call themselves a Plumber in this country, as long as you don't attempt to work on gas without being GSR or unvented cylinders without the G3.
It doesn't seem to matter that people don't have the Water Regs or Part L etc. etc. as there is no policing.
What it boils down to is can you sell your skills & knowledge, will people be willing to employ you while you are trying to acquire these.
"scrutinised" well how do we know what you want to do? is it site work or domestic repairs, they require a whole different skill set.
You say you want to go down the NVQ route but you must know that to do that you must be doing the range of work that the course requires.

Last edited:
How are you going to find this work then? How is it going to provide an income and the learning you are going to require??

Good question Chris and probably the most important question.

In my view you have a number of options:

1 - startup on your own with the 'skills' you have. Perhaps as, initially, a handyman so you can earn and learn. Go on as many manufacturers courses as you can, work, perhaps as a 'semi skilled' with as many good reputable engineers as you can to gain/expand your knowledge.

2 - Put together a portfolio of your capabilities and hawk them around companies (rather than one man bands) offering to learn whilst you earn. You need to discuss with them what you'd get paid (obvs must be less than you earn them) but look to work with people in situation from which you can learn.

As 'not a youngster' you need to push reliability punctuality etc etc. You'll need to demonstrate an ability to apply what you've learned.

Perhaps you do 'your' thing for a month, work for someone else for 2 weeks that sort of thing.

The right track to becoming a plumber.

Hard question but a few routes.
I'm biased though as I was route A.

A. Apprenticeship with day release to college.

B. Fast track. Quick course and then see what happens.

C. Bit like A but you start of as a plumbers mate and improve from there.

There's great people who have come through any of the above.

There's also some really poor people who have come through any of the above.

For me it's aptitude, attitude and having a sense of humour.

I was lucky.
I did two weeks of a levels and was bored.
I did an engineering yts. Left as I found a job on a site.
Offered an indentured apprenticeship after a few months.
Stayed with same company for 7 years.
Ar$e fell out of construction got a job in a factory.
Worked my way up for 11 years. Worked in Canada for two years.
Come back in 2005.
Been self employed ever since.

Would I change anything. Yes. After the eleven years in a factory I would have taken my vr and started on my own in 2003.

If you want it bad enough you will make it work.

Good luck.

Reply to The right track to becoming a plumber? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock