Search the forum,

Discuss "that guy" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joelguy1

Im a director of a company who is looking for "That Guy" Your probably thinking what does he mean "That Guy"!!
Well iv been looking at other companies in my area and they all seem to have that one guy who,

Brings them in all the biggest and best contracts.
Turned this company into the biggest in the area.
Made this company what it is today.

Im looking for some one who can come into my company or just give advice and help me build it into the best company it can be. I want someone who can say "well if you do this, this and this the this will be a lot better"
I hope this makes sense?
If there is any one out there that can help that will be brilliant. Please feel free to get in touch.

Its not the on the job work thats the problem its the in the office structuring and growth side.

visit my site below
Green Heating & Renewables | Boiler Repairs, Installation & Bathroom Fitters Reading, Berkshire

Many Thanks
Joel Guy

Should that guy not be yourself?

not to mention if you want to employ "that guy" are you prepared to pay an absolute premium?

Careful guys there are 2 posts on this by the same guy.

Thanks for your comments. Yes Im doing everything I can at the moment but there isn't much time when you start at 7 and don't get back to the office until 8 or 9!
I would be more than happy to pay for some one who could really help the growth and development of the company! Iv got it this far and i'm on 26!

Sorry posted in 2 as i thought just people who only do plumbing may not look in central heating.

Many Thanks

Im a director of a company who is looking for "That Guy" Your probably thinking what does he mean "That Guy"!!
Well iv been looking at other companies in my area and they all seem to have that one guy who,

Brings them in all the biggest and best contracts.
Turned this company into the biggest in the area.
Made this company what it is today.

Im looking for some one who can come into my company or just give advice and help me build it into the best company it can be. I want someone who can say "well if you do this, this and this the this will be a lot better"
I hope this makes sense?
If there is any one out there that can help that will be brilliant. Please feel free to get in touch.

Its not the on the job work thats the problem its the in the office structuring and growth side.

visit my site below
Green Heating & Renewables | Boiler Repairs, Installation & Bathroom Fitters Reading, Berkshire

Many Thanks
Joel Guy

should this be advertised in the 'men seeking men' section of your local paper classified colum

A mod will combine the threads for you shortly i bet :)

dont be too eager to grow

large companys don't appear from nowhere.
when one grows too fast, strain is put upon the "talent" in the company and as such they buckle and leave.
this leaves a huge hole even if you take on new engineers to replace them.
i know some guys that are worth 10 men.

it doesn't matter how good your growth or marketing is, your engineers make the company full stop.

and also skilled people are becoming hard to replace, remember that.

don't be greedy.

Killy Bing has it right when he says "you should be that guy".

Slow down...

I have been there and done that, and of the 28 years I spent building the business, I reckon I wasted more than half of them running it, when I should have been building it.

Look really hard at your own workload, and if there is anything there that doesn't ABSOLUTELY need you to do it, then hire someone and train them to do it. Even if its something you really enjoy doing.

Then use that spare time to look at growing the business. Eventually you should reach the point where the company will run from day to day without any input from you and you can concentrate on building it, not running it.

That'll be $64,000 in consultancy fees please.

Last edited by a moderator:
sheff paul top joker!

The quality of work will never drop. Im the fussiest guy out there! Iv had more guys work for me than I can count on a calculator! All of them can plumb they said before they started! Most of them I wouldn't let them plumb a toilet in my shed! The guys worth keeping are good and have the same mindset. They know if its not rite first time i'll make them do it again so they don't make mistakes because no one likes doing something twice! haha!

Its not that I want to get to big really fast. I feel iv got to my limit of what I can do so need that extra help and knowledge to take it further!

Hmm are you too hands on? Do you visit every job?
do you have office staff?

sheff paul top joker!

The quality of work will never drop. Im the fussiest guy out there! Iv had more guys work for me than I can count on a calculator! All of them can plumb they said before they started! Most of them I wouldn't let them plumb a toilet in my shed! The guys worth keeping are good and have the same mindset. They know if its not rite first time i'll make them do it again so they don't make mistakes because no one likes doing something twice! haha!

Its not that I want to get to big really fast. I feel iv got to my limit of what I can do so need that extra help and knowledge to take it further!

one try's to not be too serious in life( I am not that ''Guy'') but you can call me Sebastion

I`m slightly confused because you operate in one and around the thames valley areas but your office is in Wales but leaving that aside you say the on-the-job side of things is fine but your not getting back to the office until 8-9pm so can I ask how many people in the office and is there a team leader / office manager type of person or is it one person doing all the admin and sales calls.
If there is a leader / manager then perhaps you ought to look at that person, are they doing their job properly or are they just coasting along? If there is only the one office based person then do they need a junior to help them? Plenty of managers and young people willing to start as an office junior out there I would think.

I see other members can type faster than me

Last edited:
I don't visit ever job they do hardly ever see the jobs they complete. I mean when I trained them I was hard on them with how perfect everything had to be. Good wasn't enough it had to be outstanding.
No office staff. I do my work load up until about 5-6pm then I do my quotes and invoicing in the evenings.

Thats where I think that guy would come in doing the office stuff and working out how we can drive new business.

Seems like Im 3 minutes behind everyone else :banghead:

*grins* if you're willing to give up a part of the business then you can have me.
you're looking for a partner or a very well paid director.
only they would have the dedication.

your best bet is to get some office staff to reduce your workload and free up your time to do exactly what ray has said.

Seems like Im 3 minutes behind everyone else :banghead:

*pats back*

one day son, you will be able to keep up with me and croppie with our short legs ;)

not saying you're slow or anything :p

Thats for the comments killy bing.

I'll defo look at finding someone to to my office work to lighten the load. So I have more time to look at other areas of the business.

I done this post as i'm only 26 I thought there will be a lot of older plumbers out there with more knowledge and experience in the industry who could potentially help.

Thanks guys

Liked your website by the way, looks very clean and professional, easy to read and find what your looking for.

Less plumbing, more business advise, i think you can pay to have an advisor come in but i think thats a load of tosh!

i'm 21!

i'm the sort of person you want to train from 17 and retain them to take over the day to day tasks of running the jobs, train them up on the install side well but give them the opportunity to grow and handle responsibility.
pay them well and install your own values in but respect theirs and their ideas too.

This happens in family businesses and if they stay together as a family they operate very well.
you have to replace that family values with wages and bonuses though.

It will all take time, you've obviously achieved well in a short time :)

I'm happy to be corrected on this but that is my view on it.

Thanks for the feedback Plumb_Know.

Yes Thats exactly what iv done with 2 lads trained them to high starers and given them goals to achieve all the way. I always reward them when it is due. My boss never said well done to any of us once! He would always tell the other engineers. so we had to tell each other. I don't know why he was afraid to tell us we done well. I feel by giving credit when its due gives the lads a boosted confidence in their work.

Family run businesses are funny some work really well some just argue all the time lol.

I was 21 when i first went self employed. well done mate how do you find it?

Its nice, just plodding on and improving.

i will say something i really dislike on your website.

offereing 10% off if done before x date and online.

why is it not just 10% cheaper before?

as a consumer, it burns me :)

Less plumbing, more business advise, i think you can pay to have an advisor come in but i think thats a load of tosh!

i'm 21!

i'm the sort of person you want to train from 17 and retain them to take over the day to day tasks of running the jobs, train them up on the install side well but give them the opportunity to grow and handle responsibility.
pay them well and install your own values in but respect theirs and their ideas too.

This happens in family businesses and if they stay together as a family they operate very well.
you have to replace that family values with wages and bonuses though.

It will all take time, you've obviously achieved well in a short time :)

I'm happy to be corrected on this but that is my view on it.

Don't fancy a job do you ? I wish our apprentice has this much enthusiasm :lol:

to make it as a business you have to do one thing only, delegate delegate and delegate. Trying to micro manage a business will lead to failure everytime. However at present if you only have you and two, you dont need that guy just more workers to do the jobs and step back and mange it all yourself dropping off the tools while you do, its that simple.

Don't fancy a job do you ? I wish our apprentice has this much enthusiasm :lol:

tempted! I wouldn't mind seeing edinborough.

Do i really want to be cleaning up, making the tea all the time, just fetching tools?
NO because thats flipping boring, i want to learn and i want to be better!

i want for you to come and see what i'm doing, decide im too busy and make the tea for me :D

Thats the drive i think thats needed in an apprentice, smarts too with a nice big dash of common sense.

I know when i get an apprentice i'll have a trial of 5 or 6 guys and whichever girls are willing .

seems people take the first lad or girl through the door and regret it a year down the line.

This is a nice post and one relevant to myself.

in all honesty you are that guy, look where you started and look where you are, who got you there?

Nobody will have the drive you do for your business. I won't give up my secrets or sort of contracts I'm working but they didn't come knocking on my door. Take your diary look at either a Tuesday or a Thursday scrub it out and lock yourself in the office. Study your competition look at there websites and those bigger then you everyone these days boasts on the website here is a list of our top clients.... Then approach make the calls get the meetings in place so what you loose a day and you might not hear from them for a month as they are happy with the current company they use but eventually EVERYONE makes a mistake and that's when they call you then it's your turn to shine.

What I'm getting at is you know where you want to be and it's on you to get there.but you have to decide if your ready to give up the tools or not if your not don't look at getting to big it will ruin what you already have as you can't be everywhere to satisfy everyone.

Ray Stafford commented on a post sometime last year when everyone was getting green over Charlie Mullins success. something that stuck with me you have to decide whether you want to be a plumber or in the plumbing business

to make it as a business you have to do one thing only, delegate delegate and delegate. Trying to micro manage a business will lead to failure everytime. However at present if you only have you and two, you dont need that guy just more workers to do the jobs and step back and mange it all yourself dropping off the tools while you do, its that simple.

Ah but from one old head to another, delegation is the hardest (but probably most essential) thing to mlearn when you work for your self.
To the OP Just pace yourself and walk before you run. You'll still get there if you have the right attitude and learn along the way.

delegation is the hardest

Delegation is the easy bit.

The hard bit is watching someone else do a job differently from how you would do it, and forcing yourself not to interfere, so long as the end result is of a good standard.

Thats for the comments killy bing.

I'll defo look at finding someone to to my office work to lighten the load. So I have more time to look at other areas of the business.

I done this post as i'm only 26 I thought there will be a lot of older plumbers out there with more knowledge and experience in the industry who could potentially help.

Thanks guys

Only 26 you could be my 'House Boy'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to "that guy" in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, new to this forum. Im a heating engineer with my own business, we are a new company called KRE Heating Services. We carry out a good amount of boiler installations and looking for a competent engineer who can help out with these. Looking for someone who's reliable and experienced. I pay...
Replies
Views
Hello Everyone ;0 Iv just discovered this forum, looking through internet to find a solution to my small problem. So I just reopened, builders opening in my 1930 ex-council house. And surprisingly, did find some pipes inside. Two look like water - those have been cut, and those are like side...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH. I've got quite good at it over the years being able to recognise the manifold brand and generation by just looking at it but then I have to go through...
Replies
Views
Hello. I hope someone here has the expertise to help. I know exactly what situation it took awhile. On the loft on the 6th floor there is a cold water tank this tank feeds six properties in a straight line below my property is on the third floor so in the middle. The job would entail...
Replies
Views
Hello, Looking for someone who can please help solve this problem and fix our boiler. Staffs area. CH seems fine. Boiler can be coaxed into full burn with the fan spinning at full speed, so I think everythings fine on the gas/air/flue/condensate side of things. If there is DHW demand on the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock