Search the forum,

Discuss Issues with new shower enclosure in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

I've had a new quadrant shower fitted in my ensuite (complete job, new tray, tiles, enclosure etc) which leaks from both corners. My fitter came back twice to add more silicone and I expressed concern at the time that there was silicone on the inside of the enclosure where the wall channels meet the tray, which from my research was is known to cause leaks (he kept adding extra silicone inside and outside which has done nothing except possibly make it worse - still leaking from both corners). I also pointed out the instructions say to seal outside only. He replied that they throw instructions away and don't follow them as they're never right... The tray also has a few scratches/chips (not too noticeable but obviously they bother me) so he's agreed to pay for a professional enamel repair job.

Anyway the leak continues so I've told him I want him to dismantle the enclosure and start again, and do it according to the instructions this time, and he's agreed.

I was just wondering if anyone had any general advice on what I need to make sure is done this time to ensure no corners are cut. I'm guessing this can't be done in a day as the areas need to dry after the old silicone is removed before resealing? I also have noticed a few small gaps in the silicone between the tiles and tray (although they don't seem to be causing any kind of leak) so thought I might ask him to remove and redo that while he's at it.

Also - the instructions say to seal only on the outside both horizontally and vertically, but I know a lot of people seem to recommend sealing vertically inside too. What do you think? They did seal vertically on the inside before and he also said there's a bed of silicone behind the wall channels - but again the instructions don't say to do this.

Instructions here for reference:

https://ctb.co.uk/files/c0383-a00-01-quadrant-confirmed.pdf

The plastic cover that goes underneath the tray to conceal the pipework hasn't been put in yet (he's getting it shortly but it's handy not having it at the moment as I can see the leak more easily this way). It's weird (or maybe it's not, I'm clueless with these things) but if I put my hand underneath and go behind it, I can touch the back of the tray on the left straight side and I can then feel some kind of board immediately above which is flush to the edge of the tray... whereas on the right straight side I can't touch the back of the tray as the board extends to the floor. If any of that makes sense!

I don't know if the shower tray was fitted before or after tiling as I read that the former is preferable, but I'm concerned maybe the tray and enclosure were fitted at the same time so the silcone on the wall channel on the inside is a continuation of sealing the tray to the tiles and therefore maybe the tray isn't siliconed to the tiles past where the enclosure sits? This is just me speculating though.

Thanks!
[automerge]1598795840[/automerge]
Forgot to attach some pics (boxing to the sides needs sorting still as well as the chunk of missing wall on the right)

Attachments

• 20200830_134707.jpg
    20200830_134707.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20200830_134844.jpg
    20200830_134844.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20200830_134851.jpg
    20200830_134851.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200830_134744.jpg
    20200830_134744.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200830_134729.jpg
    20200830_134729.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Sod poor job needs starting again also looks like your missing a leg on the shower tray front left

Sod poor job needs starting again also looks like your missing a leg on the shower tray front left

There are 4 legs underneath but I don't knowif they're in the right place? Taken a pic from the front to show you.

I've also noticed that the enclosure is fitted flush to the tray at the sides and then sticks out over the tray as it curves to the front. It's supposed to be totally within the tray isn't it? :(

Attachments

• 20200830_184749.jpg
    20200830_184749.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 51
I would say there’s supposed to be another one to the left eg like the front right one is there a hole in the tray base (underside)

I would say there’s supposed to be another one to the left eg like the front right one is there a hole in the tray base (underside)

I've looked underneath and I tell a lie, there are 5 legs not 4, and no empty holes so hopefully that's ok!

But yeah I'm concerned about the enclosure sticking out from the tray... worried that will lead to more leaks. Maybe he can change the position when he dismantles it but I guess the tiles will have holes in there when he moves the wall channels...

I would say its been too far sunk in the wall and it all needs to be done again / start from scratch

The profiles should be set back at least 10mm from the edge of the tray and this margin should continue equally around the curve.
This is to allow a nice silicone seal, which should be on the outside only.
I’m afraid that you don’t have a very good tradesman there, the enclosure must be removed and refit from scratch.

The profiles should be set back at least 10mm from the edge of the tray and this margin should continue equally around the curve.
This is to allow a nice silicone seal, which should be on the outside only.
I’m afraid that you don’t have a very good tradesman there, the enclosure must be removed and refit from scratch.

Absolutely, but will that mean the tiles will have exposed holes in the old position unless they're still covered by the new position of the frame?... but then if the verticals are only sealed on the outside (as the instructions say should be the case) could water get into them?

Ugggh what a nightmare.

Looks pretty poor.
Some enclosures are terrible quality and we don’t know the details of who supplied, how many people have been involved in the job so hard to what’s right and wrong.

I've measured from the edges of the shower tray and it's 760cm on one side and 780cm on the other. The enclosure specs say an adjustment range of 770-790mm. So perhaps it can't be adjusted and as Shaun said, he'll have to rip the whole lot out and start again (wish me luck convincing him of that...)
[automerge]1598824614[/automerge]
Maybe that's what's causing the leak, or part of it... the enclosure is already stretched past its minimum adjustment (according to my measurements).

Last edited:
As in the tray has been? Would that mean ripping out the tray and all the tiles etc?

yep my guess he’s put the tray straight on the studs then added plaster board to the walls then the tiles so that’s brought it out around 3/4” to an inch there’s your adjustment/ too far out

yep my guess he’s put the tray straight on the studs then added plaster board to the walls then the tiles so that’s brought it out around 3/4” to an inch there’s your adjustment/ too far out

I've just done some investigation under the tray and I think you're absolutely right that this is what's happened, although only on one side oddly (the side without the mixer etc). Far too much of the tray is behind the tiles meaning there's not enough room for the enclosure as you say.

He'll probably blame the two guys working for him who did most of the work - he later told me he'd sacked them for being incompetent! But surely he should have noticed this himself. Having said that he probably did. He said he did the sealing after the enclosure was fitted, so I feel any competent fitter would have noticed that the enclosure was sticking out from the tray! He probably just prayed I wouldn't notice and there would be no issues.

Thanks so much for your insight. Now I have to draft a strongly worded message to him... (I want to make sure it's all in writing).
[automerge]1598869399[/automerge]
I'm a little confused now though about how it has been done. On the side which seems to be too far back, there is a sandy-coloured material which goes to the ground and the tray seems to be fixed to that. Then in front of that seems to be a grey board to which the tiles are fixed. I can't touch the back of the tray here, only the bottom.

On the other side, there is the same sandy material going down to the floor, but the tray doesn't seem to be attached to that. I can put my hand under the tray and behind it here, and I can touch the back of the tray with my hand. Above the tray I can feel a material; it is totally flush to the edge of the tray.

Attached photos of the side where the tray does seem to be attached to the sandy material - you can see underneath and also next to it where there's the grey material.

Any ideas what's happened?
[automerge]1598872983[/automerge]
Ok SO I've done some more digging (not literally...)

On the left side the shower tray is definitely butted up against wall studs. I assume they added plasterboard and then placed the tray under that, which is why I can touch the back edge of the tray on this side, and the plasterboard is on top (running my finger down the back of the plasterboard and then down the back of the tray is totally level - one isn't behind the other). I'm guessing I can touch the back of the tray because my hand is in the area between the wall studs.

On the right side it's different; there aren't any studs that I can see so the tray has gone straight up against the sandy-coloured material. I assume then plasterboard has been added which is on top of the tray again, but this time we've lost more of the tray because the plasterboard isn't flush with the back of the tray on this side and the tray goes further behind it - explaining why it's too short for the enclosure on this side. On this side there is a lot of pipework underneath the tray but no studs that I can see, although from the photo I just posted it looks like there was some old plasterboard directly behind this piping (you can just see on the floor where it's all been cut off if I'm correct).

Also included a couple of pics from when it was being done although I have no idea if something went wrong during the works and that's not how it actually ended up with those grey boards...

Attachments

• 20200831_105045.jpg
    20200831_105045.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200830_134744 (1).jpg
    20200830_134744 (1).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG-20200814-WA0019.jpeg
    IMG-20200814-WA0019.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG-20200814-WA0017.jpeg
    IMG-20200814-WA0017.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Reply to Issues with new shower enclosure in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have holes in the wall of my shower enclosure. Down low at the open corner, between the quartz wall and the solid pan. Same at each end of the shower. They are obviously intentional. But they seem stupid to me. Just a hole where water can intrude thru the quartz wall to whatever is behind...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and wall at the bottom on inside , can’t spot any leakages here. It runs down the wall downstairs beneath shower in lines , when water is sprayed at the...
Replies
Views
Hi I had to remove the glass panels from this quadrant shower cubicle and I'm struggling to get one of the screens back in place properly. The small glass panel is supposed to slide into the wall channel, and some holes in the side of the channel (inside the cubicle) should align with some...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and the other seems to be near waste tray, there is a slight hairline crack in shower tray near waste . This happens when I leave the shower head near the...
Replies
Views
I've got an issue with the shower tray not being totally flat. As you can see from the photos, it is about 7mm out at one side. It's leaning towards the waste end though. The shower tray is pushed underneath the tiles. My mate did the tiling and I now realise that we should have put the shower...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock