Search the forum,

Discuss System pumps over when hot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dneale123

Hi,

Newbie here and long story so please go easy :smiley2:

Hoping to keep our ancient heating system going for a while longer without too much work (boiler replacement, probably change to combi, planned for the spring, just trying to avoid major plumbing work while the weather's cold if possible).

Our system has a bit of a history of pumping over into the F&E tank in the loft when hot. Originally with the old Wilo pump this only happened on the maximum (3) setting and turning it down to 2 cured the problem. The system dates from about 1980 and is very primitive, with 6 rads and a hot water cylinder apparently just plumbed in parallel with no diverter valves. There are TRVs on the rads but no scope for adding a system thermostat without extensive work (see below for reasons).

The pump eventually failed 2 years ago and was replaced by a basic Primaflow unit that looks like it could be a rebadged Grundfos. Problem is that this pump has got noisy and has started to struggle to circulate water at the 1 setting but works happily and quietly at 2, but after about 1.5 hours the pump over starts. I've tried opening all TRVs fully and reducing the boiler temperature setting (ancient Potterton Flamingo 20-30) but this makes no difference. All rads and hot water get hot and the boiler thermostat is working fine (the hot water is always very hot, of course!).

The system is configured with the pump pumping upwards in the flow feed, followed by a horizontal run with the vent and cold feed from the F&E tank (I think they're in the flow - it's hard to trace under the floorboards). I'm aware this isn't an ideal arrangement, but am trying to avoid replumbing as the system was kindly installed with all the important plumbing under the floorboards under the hot water cylinder - so I would have to demolish the airing cupboard or take a ceiling down to get access!

I've flushed the system through a couple of times in the last few days and the water is running clear (a small amount of black sludge came out but the water was mostly clear, and I de-sludged the system about 5 years ago when the bottom of the downstairs rads was getting a bit cool and this helped at the time). All rads have been taken off in the last few years and flushed, and the system has always had inhibitor in it. I've also inspected the F&E tank and this looks OK - the water in it is clear and the top of the vent is about 450mm above the water level. The tank was a bit full (just over half full when cold) so I've bent the ball cock arm a bit and it now fills to about 100mm when cold.

For now I've put some X400 in and plan to run it for a week or two to see if it helps. Apart from perhaps bashing the pipework and rads occasionally is there anything else I can easily do without demolition work? Or is the best thing to leave the system limp on (at the moment I'm running the heating+HW 3 times a day for 1.5 hours to minimise pump over) until boiler replacement in the spring, given that replumbing under the airing cupboard is very awkward? And is there a particular reason why the pump over only happens when the system is hot, even with the radiator valves fully open?

TIA!

David.

Thanks, joni os - will see what I can do. The problem is that all the really important joints are hard to reach because they are under the floor, in turn under the HW cylinder (many thanks to the original installer for that :furious3: ) so the best I can do is get to somewhere near the bottom of the vent and cold feed pipes (and this is hard since they are behind the HW cylinder) without serious demolition work.

Any idea why pump over only starts when the system is hot? I've deliberately opened all radiator valves so it shouldn't be caused by these shutting down.

When water in system heats and expands it normally pushes back up cold feed into F&E tank. This being the easiest pathway. Partial blockage of cold feed can make vent pipe the easiest pathway, especially if pressure at base of vent exceeds the, no flow, hydro static head of F&E tank. Noisy pump, sign of air, often trapped if pump on horizontal pipe with body elevated.

Thanks - the pump is vertically mounted and pumping upwards, which I think should be the best arrangement.

I've tried to get to the vent and cold feed pipes with a small magnet - as far as I can tell it doesn't attempt to stick to the pipe (as far as I can reach, which will be a bit above where they meet the flow pipe) but as explained it's impossible to get at the joint without a lot of work so I can't claim that my result is conclusive.

Actually I'm wondering whether some organic build-up in the F&E tank has found its way out and got partly stuck in transit, as on retrospect I think the inside of the tank looks cleaner than it once did :) If that's the case maybe a plunger will shift it? (I've just prodded it with a length of coathanger but don't think I'll be that lucky!)

When water in system heats and expands it normally pushes back up cold feed into F&E tank. This being the easiest pathway. Partial blockage of cold feed can make vent pipe the easiest pathway, especially if pressure at base of vent exceeds the, no flow, hydro static head of F&E tank. Noisy pump, sign of air, often trapped if pump on horizontal pipe with body elevated.

Good post :coolgleamA:

Yes, joni os, thanks for explaining why pump-over only happens when the water is hot :)

I also notice that the cold feed from the F&E tank to the system is only 15mm, which I guess will make it more prone to blockage than using 22mm. Am I getting warm, I wonder?

I also notice that the cold feed from the F&E tank to the system is only 15mm, which I guess will make it more prone to blockage than using 22mm. Am I getting warm, I wonder?

Both sizes can block really easily tbh.
I am wondering does the feed pipe get warm when vent pumps over? If the feed was fully blocked then the vent pipe could not move water constantly
Water circulates easier when hot.

Last edited:
You could try putting bung in vent, so no air can enter, then with hose on low drain off point, fill half a of bucket of water. Weak flow = blocked feed. Confirmed, if flow substantially increased with bung removed.

The cold feed pipe gets warm but not hot when the pump over is occurring (although as soon as I notice pumping over I tend to turn the system off). Have just checked and it doesn't seem to get up to the flow water temperature near the bottom of the pipe, so a blockage in the feed pipe could be the problem. I guess it must be worth attacking with a plunger in the F&E tank in the first instance?

joni os: will try that when I can find a suitable bung. Probably later this weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a long horizontal 15mm pipe run from the F&E tank so I had a go at this with a straightened coathanger first, then tried applying the plunger to the F&E tank outlet. Ran the system up this morning and no pump-over after 2 hours - so maybe I've shifted just enough to make it work. I also drained off a small amount of water from the system so hopefully whatever was in the feed pipe is now circulating and being dissolved by the sludge remover.

Many thanks to everyone who helped - fingers firmly crossed :smiley2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to System pumps over when hot in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock