Search the forum,

Discuss Soil Pipe Box smell and insulation. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all,

Our first post on here, so please be gentle. We are based in the UK and undergoing a kitchen renovation (not a DIY build), and just had the soil pipe box removed from the utility room (in order to make it smaller to allow us to fit wall cabinets and easily access/remove the washing machine and tumble dryer).

Our plasterer removed the insulation surrounding the pipe - and unfortunately the pipe really smells bad (sewage smell), which is stinking out the house. Something we hadn't noticed before, please can someone confirm - is this normal or is an indication that we have a sewage gas leak/potential issue with the pipes?

Do we need to replace the insulation that was in the pipebox before re-boxing ( I see its an NHBC requirement)? If so please can someone recommend the best type to use (preferably with a link) and the best way to fit it, tape/cable ties?

We have provided some pictures below of the soil pipe, FYI the white pipe is waste pipe for the sink (with the U bend) which we have plugged up temporarily) - hoping this will help. Any questions, please let us know.
Thank you in advance! :)

Attachments

• 20200815_152627.jpg
    20200815_152627.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200815_152623.jpg
    20200815_152623.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 24
No it shouldn’t be smelling can you see where it goes through the roof ?

have you capped the white pipe good enough so no smells can come back if there’s no trap / it’s dry ?

If the white pipe is capped and not smelling then it's possibly a faulty or missing seal on the grey pipe fittings near the floor.
But my best guess would be that's it's not correctly sealed into the underground pipe underneath all that expanding foam.

Best way to find source of stink is with nose. Forget any preconceptions of source. Often takes several attempts, weather conditions and use of system often have an influence. If you think you have found it get a second opinion i.e. another family member.

Hello all! @WC1 ; @snowhead; @ShaunCorbs - I just wanted to say thank you, it turned out the smell was because of the lack of a water trap between the u bend of the waste pipe into the main soil pipe. So once we had our kitchen sink finally plumbed in - voila no smell! :) We added some insultation between the soil pipe and a new boxed in area so all good! :)

Definitely shouldn't be stinky but as above is the white waste pipe capped off ?? , all that expanding foam is a worry as its rather extreme start by removing it as it could may be masking the fault ?? . Kop

Reply to Soil Pipe Box smell and insulation. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock