Search the forum,

Discuss SHOWER CAUSED CEILING TO LEAK in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

If someone was to rip out the basin of their shower themselves, to allow water to dry from a recent leak that went through to their rooms downstairs, how long would it take til everything was dry? Would this prevent mould?

And how long would they have to wait until a plumber can head along to fix the shower?

Question is being asked due to COVID-19 restricting access, and this is a short term solution.

Any thoughts anyone?

Impossible to answer Q`s with too many variables ie current tempreture, level of dampness and so on.
Different guys are taking on different levels of work if you can swear on a bible that nobody in the house has covid and the 2m distance will be observed. Ring around.

As RPM says. Could have been leaking for any length of time and only just worked through to the room below. May need flooring up etc.

Ventilate room and dehumidifier.

Adding a dehumidifier will aid the drying process, it really depends how bad it is I have dried out several properties its normally a few days and will remove the majority of water, without a dehumidifier it will take weeks I am afraid ventilation and warmth would be needed many of us are doing emergency work so it shouldn't be to difficult to find a plumber the message from the government is no longer stay at home it's stay alert so to aid us all to return back to work safely as possible . Kop

Last edited:
Hope it is a recent leak, but if a long time, then you could have wet/dry rot. Some pictures would help people comment. E.g can you access underneath any way without removing tray. Does tray removal mean removing tiles first. What is downstairs room ? Etc.

Hi All,
Really good responses. All figured out. Decision was made to rip out ceiling underneath shower. No pipes are burst that we can see so the assumption is the shower overflowed. Tested shower and rather than water flowing down the drain it just builds and builds. When it overflowed past the basin, it must have seeped through the sealant and then through the ceiling / light switch / fire alarm. With rot now ruled out, all that's needed here (I think), is a new ceiling, and likely a new shower basin with possibly some replacement pipes. And advice that next time the shower keeps overflowing instead of draining NOT to ignore it.

Really appreciate everyones advice here. Made a difference and helped.

Hi All,
Really good responses. All figured out. Decision was made to rip out ceiling underneath shower. No pipes are burst that we can see so the assumption is the shower overflowed. Tested shower and rather than water flowing down the drain it just builds and builds. When it overflowed past the basin, it must have seeped through the sealant and then through the ceiling / light switch / fire alarm. With rot now ruled out, all that's needed here (I think), is a new ceiling, and likely a new shower basin with possibly some replacement pipes. And advice that next time the shower keeps overflowing instead of draining NOT to ignore it.

Really appreciate everyones advice here. Made a difference and helped.

I guess you now understand that many shower trays leak round the silicon. Any going black is sign of small leak. Interesting to start a new post and ask what people think about upstand shower trays (apart from they are difficult to fit). Guess you may go for a somewhat deeper tray, also think about access underneath. Modern flat flush showers don't seem to be designed for maintenance. Hope your ceiling not too big and difficult to sort.

(Dreaming) If I were designing a new house I'd put any upstairs showers, above a downstairs broom cupboard /utility store and not use any materials wood, plasterboard, etc. that would suffer from water damage. Downstairs would have the washing machine with a drain in a concrete floor. You can then a) laugh at any leaks, b) fix them in 10 mins for little cost. I'd arrange all the rooms to keep all the plumbing where possible in these areas so no plumbing behind plaster . . . So e.g. the kitchen sink would be the other side of the utility wall etc.

Cheers,

Roy

Never had a issue if you fit the tray correctly and is sealed well then it should give years of good service, although I have repaired and replaced many poorly fitted ones . Low height trays are the trend now providing a high flow waste outlet and drainage solely for the shower tray and is upsized to 50mm if longer than 3 meters, then I have no problem doing it upstairs showers need good prep work I like to use waterproof tile back boards and tanking before fitting the tray drying time is also very important if it's rushed then the failer rate is increased . Kop

Reply to SHOWER CAUSED CEILING TO LEAK in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and the other seems to be near waste tray, there is a slight hairline crack in shower tray near waste . This happens when I leave the shower head near the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Shower is leaking into downstairs when water is being aimed at wall . All sealant has been redone on outside and between shower tray and wall at the bottom on inside , can’t spot any leakages here. It runs down the wall downstairs beneath shower in lines , when water is sprayed at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Recently noticed an issue with thermostatic shower that was determined to get sorted. The shower would drop (which got worse) and would not maintain temperature,due to water quality here and visible limescale in cartridges,decide to just replace entire shower for a nice new one. This...
Replies
Views
Hi all, have a leak in landing from upstairs bathroom. This only happens when sink taps are on, not shower or toilet . Think it is a boss connection between sink waste to soil pipe. And think this is happening in corner where toilet is and that is where sink and soil pipe connect Just want...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock