Search the forum,

Discuss Seized Mira 88 which service pack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Pickwickpick

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I've got a customer who needs a mira 88 servicing. It had stopped regulating temperature properly for a couple of months and just recently its completely seized up, the dial will not turn.

There's two service packs available, the cheaper one (936.12), which has all the o rings, spring, spindle and couple packs of silicone grease. Then there's one that's 4x the price (904.07) which is the whole assembly.

I'm pretty certain that it just needs a strip down, good clean & the 936.12 service pack, but thought why not pick your experienced brains before I place the order.

Thanks in advance

I probably would buy the cheap service kit and strip the valve down and give it a clean and fit the new kit seals. I think on high pressure they are can have wear on the works, but hopefully you won’t have that.
Been a long time since I worked on the Mira88.

Isn’t a version of this now obsolete?

I don't think so, Mira have got parts for it still on their website and they're on showerdoctor too.

Blimey thats an old shower , personally I wouldn’t put a service kit on it .
FYI mira do a fixed price repair , or did .

It is old and if the shower wasn't concealed I would have recommended replacing it. My concern with replacing it is that I'll be opening up a can of worms, finding the same tiles is going to be a struggle and it was fitted by a general builder who has done some 'interesting' plumbing and other work elsewhere in the property (the state he left the electrics in was criminal). I would have to recommend ripping it all out and starting from scratch as I wouldn't want to risk being blamed for problems further down the line that were actually due to the initial installation.

I've had a chat with Showerdoctor who think its worth servicing and I've offered to the customer that if servicing it doesn't work I'll knock the labour cost for the service off the bill for a whole new shower.

A little update on this, service pack turned up at lunch time, went over to the customers this afternoon and stripped the shower valve. It was full of limescale and all of the rubber seals were knackered, but the pistons were still in perfect condition.

Descaled and cleaned it all, fitted the new seals, applied some silicone grease and put it back together. The dials are now working beautifully, but there's only hot water coming out. Took it apart again and then carefully opened the stopcock (conveniently its in this downstairs bathroom), no water was coming out of the cold water pipe.

Had a little chat with the customer and turns out that the knob being seized wasn't the only issue, after he had his boiler swapped for a combi last year, the shower became a lot hotter than it used to be. Had a search for an isolation valves they might have forgotten to turn back on, but couldn't find any so went up into the loft. Turns out this downstairs shower was supplied directly from the tank, the engineer that fitted the boiler had cut all of the pipes off in the loft and capped them off which cut the cold supply to this shower. Going to go back in the morning and sort the pipework out, but once that's done he will have a functioning second shower again :)

A little update on this, service pack turned up at lunch time, went over to the customers this afternoon and stripped the shower valve. It was full of limescale and all of the rubber seals were knackered, but the pistons were still in perfect condition.

Descaled and cleaned it all, fitted the new seals, applied some silicone grease and put it back together. The dials are now working beautifully, but there's only hot water coming out. Took it apart again and then carefully opened the stopcock (conveniently its in this downstairs bathroom), no water was coming out of the cold water pipe.

Had a little chat with the customer and turns out that the knob being seized wasn't the only issue, after he had his boiler swapped for a combi last year, the shower became a lot hotter than it used to be. Had a search for an isolation valves they might have forgotten to turn back on, but couldn't find any so went up into the loft. Turns out this downstairs shower was supplied directly from the tank, the engineer that fitted the boiler had cut all of the pipes off in the loft and capped them off which cut the cold supply to this shower. Going to go back in the morning and sort the pipework out, but once that's done he will have a functioning second shower again :)
On a Sunday?

Reply to Seized Mira 88 which service pack in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi plumbers and DIYers I made a post about my 3-port valve a couple of weeks ago, but have finally been able to take a look and thought best to start a new one than tag on. Hope that's ok. Recap: We've had a problem whereby our boiler will only heat the radiators, even when set to hot water...
Replies
Views
M
Grr… second time at this post after computer wiped the first one! Right, I’ve just moved into a new house – the house is not new (30y/o) but it is to us, as of last weekend. I’ll be honest and say I know little/nothing about heating as I’ve always treated as a gas system (leave alone) rather...
Replies
Views
C
Intergas Boiler Review So I picked up the Intergas Eco RF 30 from Williams and Co at the Crawley Branch, Service was great and considering Intergas had forgotten to get in contact and were proving hard to get hold of Williams still honored the FREE boiler and flue and squared me away...
Replies
Views
Ray Stafford
R
Did a Warmflow warranty job last year, rep said it just needed a control box. So I travelled 25 mins at 4.30 on a Friday night to swap it. Four hours to dig the boiler out as it had not been set up right. Anyway I did alright as there was other work that came from it. Centramag filter and a...
Replies
Views
Barry98
B
Hi guys, been a while since I had a proper moan but been feeling a bit dejected with work at the moment. Not sure if i'm over reacting or being taken advantage of, possibly a bit of both. I'll be as honest as possible, i'm not writing this post to get sympathy but I'd like some constructive...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock