Search the forum,

Discuss Regulation issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marty92

Hi folks,

I am quoting to fit a replacement boiler in a commercial premises, The. client tells me 3 other plumbers have told him its a requirement to also chang the HW tank now I've searched everywhere and I cannot find a requirement to do this additional work.

The tank is old and uninsulated so changing it is a good idea but a requirement - I don't think so?

thoughts please

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it to be with going to fully pumped? Does the old cylinder have a coil?

Welcome to the forum :)

I would say , if you were going to change then it must be changed to energy efficient one . What sort of boiler is to be fitted and what size hot water cylinder is there ?

Welcome to the forum :)

I would say , if you were going to change then it must be changed to energy efficient one . What sort of boiler is to be fitted and what size hot water cylinder is there ?

Cheers pal!

Yes I quite agree but I'm not sure there is an actual requirement to change it just because its not up to modern standards.

looks like its going to be a valiant ecotec 65 existing vented tank is c 120l

Every where

So it is actually stated that "when replacing a boiler/primary heating source you MUST replace the Hot water tank with one meeting the latest requirements in energy efficiency" ?

The trouble with questions like mine is no one seems able to point to an actual regulation or requirement, I don't doubt you believe what you say but so many people in our industry do not actually know where to look to find out if something is a requirement / regulation or good practice and there is a whole heep of difference.

Befor I tell a client " Thou shall" I need to be able to point to why / where and at the moment there's nowhere to look which is actually law.

I can find nothing in part L of the building regs requiring me to upgrade a tank in premises below 1000m2 and even then it needs to be commercially viable.

Its hard as its to convince customers to have TRV fitted let alone new cylinders or zoning upstairs and downstairs , so dont go hard on your customers . If not it just looks to them that I/you/we are trying to sell them more than they need ......

Last edited:
You know more than we do

Unfortunatly you seem to be proving you don't know where to look to backup you claim, I don't particularly mind if you do or don't to be honest, but I hope for your sake you can back up your claims if you have too.

Most of my clients are legal firms in the city, I'm sure as hell going to make sure I don't write something in a tender document I cannot backup with regulation.

Dont fall in to the trap of doing something because someone told you too - it may cost you.

Its hard as its to convince customers to have TRV fitted let alone new cylinders or zoning upstairs and downstairs , so dont go hard on your customers . If not it just looks to them that I/you/we are trying to sell them more than they need ......

Very true - according to the HHIC, TRV's are not a requirement when changing boilers.

I generally ask clients what they want and if regs don't prohibit it - they get it.

Unfortunatly you seem to be proving you don't know where to look to backup you claim, I don't particularly mind if you do or don't to be honest, but I hope for your sake you can back up your claims if you have too.

Most of my clients are legal firms in the city, I'm sure as hell going to make sure I don't write something in a tender document I cannot backup with regulation.

Dont fall in to the trap of doing something because someone told you too - it may cost you.

just take it easy ..... we are here helping each-other

if you keep posting like this , you will be deleted by the moderators

just keep calm and enjoy the help you get and the help you give

stan

I'm relaxed Stan. :D some people seem to think its acceptable to slate others for asking questions, yet when asked to back up their claims with evidence they cannot, I don't mind it's just not very helpful is it.

Ive got qualifications and professional registrations coming out of my earholes but that doesn't mean I know everything or even should know everything.

We all know what we should be doing to comply with the regs, but at the end of the day its what the customer can afford, work is hard enough to get hold of so you cant tell me most of you don't bend the rules to get the job ! it's ok making these rules, but the people making them don't have to pay the cost's. What do you do ,Walk away and not earn anything.

Get your head around Energy Efficiency Best Practice...

Returning to the OP.

There is no doubt in my mind that changing the cylinder in this case is "a good idea" and I'm sure it's in a BPG somewhere, but and it's a big but, I need to establish one way or the other if it actually a requirement, so far I can find nothing anywhere suggesting that it is.

if it gets you the workn not to put cylinder in then i would do it however in a written estimate state you should have an upgrade or offer to do it at later date .
Trades to tight at the mo to be to fussy , take a leaf out of gas safe book and ignore all perils over money

if it gets you the workn not to put cylinder in then i would do it however in a written estimate state you should have an upgrade or offer to do it at later date .
Trades to tight at the mo to be to fussy , take a leaf out of gas safe book and ignore all perils over money

Chances are ill get the work in any case, I was just trying to find out if it was indeed a requirement to change the cylinder.

Your over ten posts now so send your gsr details to gasman or Redsaw so we can continue in the private forum away from public viewing , entry questions are basic for any competent engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Regulation issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The UK Government has today been told to do better when it comes to Heat Pumps and Hydrogen Boilers. A watchdog for spending has said that the Government in the UK needs to do more to make green energy heat pumps and other green central heating options more affordable for the UK customers...
Replies
Views
Hi There was no shut off valve on the tank feed to the hot water cylinder, and I needed to move a couple of hot water pipes, so I shut off the mains water, turned boiler off (Remeha avanta) and opened the hot kitchen tap to drain the cylinder. After doing the work etc, Everything up and...
Replies
Views
Morning All, I have 1800’s farm house 3 storeys. Have a single floor side extension. The ground floor single storey extension houses Worcester oil boiler and unvented water tank, in the next door room I have a 30KW Henley Druid stove with back boiler giving 23KW to HW/CH I have also purchased...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for heat, the boiler fires up, modulates, but jumps very quickly (about 30 seconds or so from 40'ish all the way to 70, burner disengages putting it the...
Replies
Views
I am looking for some basic advice please My house is on two floors, approx 240m2 and a spacious loft with good headroom and access. Glow Worm 30HXi boiler burning LPG housed in a ground floor attached storage room running 16 radiators including 6 doubles and a standard low output shower on the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock