Search the forum,

Discuss Quick answer on mid position valve fault please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

S

Sharp Point

Evening all, I’ve just left my last job of the day and I’m completely knackered. I’ve just been round to a job I did in January ( manual flush radiator on kicrobore) and whilst I was there the old tower mid position valve was making a racket, so the customer asked me to put a new one on( Honeywell)
It’s burnt out( Honeywell), I said I’d try and go back tomorrow to start tracing, but anything spring to mind.... I really haven’t got any spare time( even working Sunday)
One thing that jumped out at me me was the danfoss fp715 screen disappears every other time you press the select button.

Thanks

Y plan fault finding isn’t my forte:(

Last edited by a moderator:
did you change the whole valve or just the head?

I fitted a new 28mm 2 port Honeywell to heating at home last spring. Found it’s dead already this spring. I’ve just put it down to the quality not being the best. Might be worth double checking the wiring, syncho may have burnt out if it’s constantly getting a demand signal due to a wiring fault.

I fitted a new 28mm 2 port Honeywell to heating at home last spring. Found it’s dead already this spring. I’ve just put it down to the quality not being the best. Might be worth double checking the wiring, syncho may have burnt out if it’s constantly getting a demand signal due to a wiring fault.

Yes, there’s something sending voltage to the synchron. I was reading up last night on an intriguing article.

UK DIY FAQ

The synchron is held engaged in mid position in dc and if heating is called ac is sent to the synchron to move it.

The plot thickens! I’ll find the problem, never been defeated yet.

Yes, there’s something sending voltage to the synchron. I was reading up last night on an intriguing article.

UK DIY FAQ

The synchron is held engaged in mid position in dc and if heating is called ac is sent to the synchron to move it.

The plot thickens! I’ll find the problem, never been defeated yet.

May be wrong but my understanding was they only have a single demand.

Voltage on the demand moves the valve to the CH position. No voltage the spring returns to the HW position. Then there are two switched outputs for the valve limits back to the boiler.

Wiring most likely but if not...

Honeywell 3-ports must be on the flow (not return) pipework. I think that getting this wrong will overload the motor.

Is the motor the correct 230-240V variant as opposed to the 220V one sold in other countries?

Is the mechanism operating smoothly when turned manually?

Ignore that, I’ve just bothered to read the manual.

I’m reading that as
CH only:
White - 240v
Grey - 240v

CH + HW
White - 240v
Grey - 0v

HW only
White - 0v
White - 0v

AB6F9467-6AF3-443B-AE37-056BC0E032F9.jpeg

Why I haven’t got into the workings of a mid position valve is by now is embarrassing. One of those haven’t got time moments, I’d rather spend my spare time under the bonnet of my toy:D

Nitrous :p

Yep, seen that a gazillion times. I think you’re missing my point, what’s going on inside? I think it’s fair to say, going by the article I posted early this morning... that there’s more that goes on inside.

Which bit is it your not sure about? What the bits in the circuit diagram above are for or what’s actually in the valve body?

Until I go back to the job and go over the wiring( re-wire centre) to ascertain proper termination and tightness, there isn’t a pressing issue ....yet. I could be like TFJ says ‘ a loose wire’
If it’s not a loose wire, what is keeping power at the synchron motor to burn it out in 3 months, seems the old tower valve has suffered the same death.. but maybe lasted a lot longer( I dunno, maybe metal gears) where as Honeywell maybe use plastic.

Reply to Quick answer on mid position valve fault please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical, carpentry it's been never ending. The house was built by Barratt Homes in the year 2000, it is a 3 bedroom house called a Palmerston, the CH/HW system is a Y...
Replies
Views
I’d be grateful for your thoughts please... We have an Ideal Classic NF50 Boiler with a Lifestyle Model LP522 programmer, a Drayton Digistat 1 Roomstat controlling Hot Water & Central Heating connected to a Drayton MA1 Mid Position Actuator. We had a problem a month or so ago whereby the...
Replies
Views
Aquarius
A
My heating has developed a new and unwelcome quirk just recently, which is that it's sporadically failing to provide hot water. This is something that happened a few weeks back, but it seemed to go back to normal, but in the past couple of days it has happened again each day. We have a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m new to the forum but thought I’d sign up to try and get some help with a customers boiler. Bit of background on the boiler first. The house was renovated extensively with new bathrooms kitchen etc and the above boiler fitted 4 1/2 years ago approx, with no other work done inside or to...
Replies
Views
Hi - hoping someone can help me pinpoint the issue here! I’ve got an Ideal Isar (yup, I’m aware they’re crap boilers). My radiators get warm even when I don’t have the central heating on. I switched the boiler off to let everything cool down and then switched it on to document what happens. I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock