Search the forum,

Discuss Programmer help HW cancels CH in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I have a normal heating system, copper hot tank, boiler, cold tank in loft alongside a small CH header tank.

Problem is.... If my programmer is switched to heating on and water off, the heating works fine. If I then switch the water on it immediately switches off my room thermostat dead (lights off no power). If I turn the water to off then the thermostat turns back in as normal.

As you can see this is an issue as I need both water and CH working and running together. Has anyone come across this issue before and does anyone know what troubleshooting techniques I can try in order to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance, any help appreciated :)

Hi,

How long have you been having this issue ?

Please can you post a picture of your controls ? (I.e. programmer, room stat etc...)

Also a picture of the airing cupboard including the port valve.

Thank you.

First thing is to try turning the programmer off and on again. Find the isolator for the heating and turn it off, wait a few seconds and then back on. If you can't find the isolator, use the mains switch on your consumer unit or fuse box.

This seems to work with my elderly Potterton EP2000 and will cost nothing, so worth a try.

Hi, thanks for your replies..... Problem is now resolved it was a wiring issue from the previous owners of the house.

The central heating wiring (on/off) had been wired in the wrong way around, black was red and red was black. I found this out by bypassing the programmer using a connection block directly from the live to the on cables in the programmer. Essentially I bypassed the programmers switch to rule out a faulty programmer.

Cheers

Reply to Programmer help HW cancels CH in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
Thermostat and Programmer not communicating with Boiler. Both have been replaced. Any ideas? On the Glowworm boiler 18sxi I can use the CH controller to switch on/off the boiler, that works fine. Also upstairs i have a tank, when I switch that on I get hot water. But what else can I check...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
I've just noticed that with the CH programmer either selected off or timed off, the CH can still be controlled on/off at the room thermostat. HW is controlled by the same programmer and is operating normally. System is a pumped Y plan. I take it the programmer is fubar? Anything I can do to...
Replies
Views
It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However, the programmer display is not showing any digits for the clock or anything else so I am unable to program it. It still works the boiler manually...
Replies
Views
  • Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot water to our plastic header tank in the loft every time we turned the heating on. We first noticed an issue with a leak in our bedroom ceiling which we...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock