Search the forum,

Discuss Professional Trades People !... I Salute You !! I'm also in need of advice for 1 stubborn rad. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 3 bed e.terrace.
1 rad in each of the 6 rooms (box room rad has damaged pipe so is turned off either side)all with TRV's.
In addition there's 1rad in hall and 1 on the landing. Both with old style on/off valve.
The Problem lies with the Bathroom rad. it's kinda on a dog's leg; as the bathroom is 3/4 of the way upstairs.
CH system is sited in upstairs back bedroom and every rad warms and heats to a decent temp. No major prob's there.
- I just can't seem to get the bathroom one to flow.
- I've tweaked and turned every valve in every manner of possibilities, in all rooms. Closing down LS's and opening them a fraction as they further from the boiler.
- I can trace the flow of all other rad's when I put the heating on. But because the bathroom 1 remains cold at both ends - I don't know where it sits in the circuit (presuming at the tail end).:confused:
- I've taken rad off and gave it a good flush, clearing it of any (very little tbh) sludge.
- When the heating is on and i bleed it , there is a flow coming in from the LS side. This is short lived however and the warm water flows away. Sad.
- I've had a thermostat to it and at times the pipe at the TRV side warms up. Recently it's gone from 10'C upto 19'C very slowly and both valves were on a trickle. The CH had also been on for most of the day.

I'm a proper novice at this, but want to learn along the way.
Folks with a Trade are worth their weight in Gold. Unfortunately i have no Gold so budget along we go.:) Any advice is greatly appreciated.
PS
A constant headache is the clanging and banging of pipes in the boiler cupboard. This is when the heatings been on for a while or a TRV has been adjusted in a room. Is this air in the system OR a load of Gunk ?
The Bangin also appears to happen when I've tried to make the flow reach the bathroom by closing down other rad's .
Any Help would be Great
Cheers

If you remove the rad do you get flow from both sides

If you remove the rad do you get flow from both sides

After reading posts in the forum last night and going over what i have checked. It did dawn on me about that very thing. Thanks for the advice and i'll take it off again and check.
That said, when i have bled the rad with the CH on (just to see if there's flow) the LS end allows hot water in - which dissipates asa i stop bleed. And after hrs of the CH running (and if i tweak the TRV in the right place) my handheld thermostat registers a trickle of warm flow creeping into the TRV side. Temp. can climb from 13C upto 18.8C But nothing consistant.
I shall take it off and check your advice.
Cheers Neil.

Could also be the pin in the trv being stuck and not allowing adequate flow through. Might be worth removing the head

I had a similar problem with one rad mine was the trv head was sticking out beyond a sofa but in direct sunlight coming through the window was sensing the heat and knocking the rad off took me a while but got it in the end lol I agree with Riley check your flow and return pipes sounds like a bit of an airlock to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Professional Trades People !... I Salute You !! I'm also in need of advice for 1 stubborn rad. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock