Search the forum,

Discuss Problem with central heating - Advice Needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thames

Hello
Hope someone can give me some advice on a problem im having with the central heating in my flat.
I have a Glowworm 18si fanned flue system boiler with 5 radiators. Over the past year I have had a problem that the boiler keeps losing pressure going to 0.6 where the red light will start flashing and then continuing to go to 0.0

It started almost a year ago and would lose pressure gradually over a couple of weeks but got quicker with time. We had a plumber come round and he fitted a Presure release valve which seemed to stop the problem for a couple of months how ever the problem eventually came back and slowly got worse.

We have had a couple of different plumbers round over the past couple of months and most recently had someone from British gas come round. He said he thinks it is a leak in the pipes somewhere and flushed the pipes with some filler. This has not helped and the system can now go from 1.8 to 0.0 in as little as an hour.

If the central heating is turned off but the hot water left on the boiler maintains its pressure, recently as a test I turned off each radiator individually at their bases and then turned the central heating on. this caused the boiler to lose pressure very quickly.

Obviously if this is a leak it will mean pulling up carpet and wooden flooring in my flat which I would rather not have to do not to mention drilling into the floor to get to the pipes is there anything else that would cause this problem. my flat is on the 3rd floor of a 3 story block and i have had no complaints from anyone below about leaks or ceiling stains from above so cant understand where the water could be going if it was a leak.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

this sounds like the expansion vessel get a good local plumber to inspect the system for you

Thank you all for the quick replies. Would the british gas enginier not have checked the expansion vessle or is it something that you cant check and must just replace and hope for the best?

theres a valve on the expansion vessel, press it see if water is present, not a job for you though matey get a reliable plumber (local) bg are more or less a sales pitch, he should of checked but probably didnt and you prob got charged 100 quid for something you could of easily done yourself for a tenner (leak sealer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problem with central heating - Advice Needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock