Search the forum,

Discuss Pressure Reduction Valve Oddity in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ianj

Hi All

I have a house in Italy and have been experiencing some problems with water pressure recently. The water supply can be temperamental at times but my question relates to strange readings from my PRV. The mains water feed is thus:

Main -> Shut off valve->PRV->Pressure Gauge->Filter->Internal water

With the main shut off valve open I have about 6bar reading on the gauge *after* the PRV. When I open an internal tap the pressure reduces to <1 Bar and the water (after an initial burst of pressure) reduces to a trickle. Upstairs taps do not work (I assume as its less than 1bar?).

So, if I keep the demand on internally at <1bar and then adjust the PRV I can get about 1.2bar. Turn off the internal demand and the gauge slowly increases back up to 6+bar. (sometime sit goes off the scale and I am concerned that now I have increased the PRV pressure the system pressure will be too high)

This doesn't make any sense to me as I would assume the gauge *after* the PRV would always hover around the 1+bar mark.

So am I misunderstanding the the PRV or do you think there is another problem? Could the PRV be faulty? The filter blocked or a restriction in the main?

Any advice or suggestions welcome before I call a local plumber?

I would say that your filter should have been installed before the p.r.v etc to protect these components .How good are your pumbing skills? has any work been done to the main before it enters your house maybe debris have affected your p.r.v :)regards turnpin

Hi turnpin

Thanks for a speedy reply

Yes, the setup does seem a bit odd...but hey, its Italy..

My plumbing skills are pretty much non existent, but would give anything a go.

Now you mention work on the main, yes, a few weeks ago the village main burst (I'm guessing as water was spraying everywhere in the main steet). It was fixed, water pressure was v low, then the water was turned off for 3 or 4 hours and on its return it ran filthy (brown muddy water) for a while.

So its sounds like you are saying that the PRV could just be clogged or affected somehow? Pressure readings after the PRV still have me confused though, although maybe the PRV is just 'open' when no demand and then when there is demand it just doesn't work correctly?

I think all the components need to be removed and checked and if required ,replaced maybe the water undertaker[supplier] has some responsibility to help you if you dont ask you wont get ...hows your Italian by the way check it out with them first.good luck and keep us informed.p.s welcome to the forum:)regards turnpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressure Reduction Valve Oddity in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock