Search the forum,

Discuss Pplumbing career in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cwoodrow

Hello everyone, I've just joined the forum and was hoping your experience will help me with a career decision.

I'm sure you get asked this question a great many times - I'm looking to change career and have started researching gaining the professionally required skills needed to become a fully qualified plumber. But, before venturing down this road, I wanted to ask whether plumbing was an over saturated trade. Are there a large number of recently qualified plumbers out of work? Is there still a large demand for plumbers? I seem to be getting mixed information.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best
Craig

there wuill always be a demnd for the plumber but as with most trades the recession has hit, you have to look gfor the work at the moment more rather than the work finding you

dont believe the press that you can earn £80k a year

Hi Plumbstar Tom

Thank you for the quick reply. I keep reading that there's more supply than demand. Is it a good profession to enter? I always liked the idea that the success was down to how hard you are prepared to work. Do you think going it alone when only just qualified is too risky?

hello mate, around 40000 pepole a year get a 6129 tech cert especially on fast track I would say around 10% actually end up as a plumber. If you are a hard worker and persistent then it could work allthough don't think you will be on £40000 after a ten week course and flyering at the weekends. If anyone knows what button to press to stop this itallic writing please let me know . thanks.

hello mate, around 40000 pepole a year get a 6129 tech cert especially on fast track I would say around 10% actually end up as a plumber. If you are a hard worker and persistent then it could work allthough don't think you will be on £40000 after a ten week course and flyering at the weekends. If anyone knows what button to press to stop this itallic writing please let me know . thanks.

Hi john

Thank you for your reply. I hear what you're saying and I'm definitley not looking for an overnight success - I'm in it for the long haul - do you think that only 10% end up as plumbers because of the lack of work or the lack of stamina?

Lack of money, business sense , common sense, realism, motivation, foresight, persistence and confidence and there is also a lack of work compared to three years ago and many simply go bust in their first year because of the overheads and difficulty in getting a customer base . Now a lot of plumbers are trying to compete just to get the work in. As a customer it is not hard to find a plumber so what seperates you from the rest of the crowd? it won't be money .

Lack of money, business sense , common sense, realism, motivation, foresight, persistence and confidence and there is also a lack of work compared to three years ago and many simply go bust in their first year because of the overheads and difficulty in getting a customer base . Now a lot of plumbers are trying to compete just to get the work in. As a customer it is not hard to find a plumber so what seperates you from the rest of the crowd? it won't be money .

That's a good question. And I'm doing my research to be able to answer that. At the moment my business sense (and business support), common sense, work ethic, motivation, realism (which I'm slowly gathering through research), persistence, ideas and confidence are high - that doesn't make me unique but then again most jobs you have to work extremely hard in to succeed and stand out in. Thank you for your frank and honest answers - i'm hoping you'll answer any other queries I have with the same bluntness - I appreciate it.

i tihnk people do the course and expect wads of money to be handed to them daily for changing a tap washer

There is no reason why you cant go solo after qualifying its just about confidence and ability!

The thing is, the amount of work available is usually decide by market conditions not Plumbers.

And yes there does seem to be loads of Plumbers coming on stream. The thing to ask is "Is there enough work for them?"

At the moment mortgages are tight, so house building is slow, which means less Plumbers are required for house building. And those who where working on house building are looking elsewhere for Plumbing work, perhaps increasing competition in all areas.

There are also cut backs all round, which can mean maintenance and repair work is kept to a minimum. So regular cyclical maintenance work may be effected

The government is going to cut budgets, so all their work on roads, schools and the like is slowing, gone or delayed. I don't know about hospitals.

Many people seem set to be out of work and pensions cut back. The pensioners give out loads of work and if pensions are reduced so the work slows there.

It all adds up to a slow moving short term outlook for Plumbers and many others.

The problem is of course, less work and more Plumbers means lower prices. But unless you are interested in Plumbing and do not see it only as a money making opportunity, then go ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Plumbing career

Another thing I wanted to ask (before entering the trade) was the trend patterns. I appreciate that we've gone from a boom to bust economy, but what are the plumbing trends? Has there been a time when the market has been over saturated with plumbers out of work, who then return to other jobs creating an opening in plumbing work? As the recession ends do jobs start to become more regular and with so many people leaving the trade is that not creating a 'lack' of plumbers?

Hmm!

Perhaps 30 -40 years ago I would say yes.

Like many construction workers the Plumber may move from factory to site in the Summer months. In point Fords got fed up with this, as no sooner had they trained operatives with a building background in the Winter than off they went in the Summer. I think generally though Plumbers tended not to do it.

Today however many new Plumbers seem to be coming from industries that are no longer there. In the past it was usually because of temporary work shortages that they moved from factory to Plumber.

Now those factories have gone, so they can't go back to what is no longer there.

If British manufacturing opens up new factories and so far there does not seem to be signs of that on any scale, then things may change.

Unfortunately we also have to ask, what sort of jobs will the factories provide?

High tech requiring a uni degree?

Low paid?

Part time?

Women or men?

So far it does not look to good. The investors are hardly likely to change from investing in financial products which can earn them 20% to factories which may only earn them 6%.

International competition is also very fierce for manufacturing if we try to go into the mass product markets again. We still produce plenty of things in this country, usually through foreign companies using a UK workforce.

What we have to do is invest a bit in our people and produce innovative products, not move our production to low pay countries for them to make. But at the same time we have to share with the developing world, both for human reasons and for them to get enough income to be able to buy our products. Seems pointless churning stuff out without a market. Bit like Plumbers at the moment it seems going by the mails

One employer was removed from the position of business and technology minister in the last government, because instead of innovating new production methods he sent the work abroad and Brits lost jobs.
The employer still employees about 1500 here on high tech uni degree work, but probably employ's either directly or on contract perhaps many thousands of workers abroad in low pay areas.

So where does that leave us regarding Plumbers?

Well if industry starts to produce living wage jobs again, probably many will leave, but not until I don't think.

The current problem is that perhaps too many Plumbers are being turned out, after all colleges require course fee income to keep going as well.

Its the government and industries job to sort it out not the work force, they are just behaving like most people and looking to where they can earn a crust to feed the family.

I must admit I have to laugh at the government shouting about training apprentices?

What are they doing that for if there is no work for them when they finish their apprenticeship?

I should imagine if gas prices rise, gas fitters will become redundant quite fast as people move to alternative fuels. Which they probably will and should anyway for green house gas reasons.

So the best long term job would be Plumber/ electrical/ heating engineer. But biased toward Plumber. You might not even need radiators and pipework in the future, if we go electric which seems we probably will unless an alternative is made for gas.

Hi, hopefully I am in the right place. I am new here! I am on the Level 2 6129 and have finished the practicle in one year and I now only have to go back to do half the thoery in September. Would it be too soon the take the Water Regs certificate and the Unvented Certificate? I am trying to aim at renewable energy evenually.

Plumbing covers lots of knowledge and skill. If you can change a bathroom suit and call your self a plumber, you can trade and have many job. So, good luck!

There is very little demand for plumbers, try ringing round yourself and tell them you have a TC2, id be surprised if anyone would give u a start.
I know many people who have sent out more than 200 letters and not got one reply, what does this tell you? the press keep telling us we are short of trades, they are not the ones trying to make a living from it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pplumbing career in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

F
Hi
Hi I am a new member to this forum. I am looking to do a plumbing course to gain the relevant qualifications, (6129 & NVQ2). I have been looking at OLCI Bristol and the New Career Skills course. Has anybody got any views on these courses as there seems to be some conflicting interest as to...
Replies
Views
PlumbBobBob
P
J
I am 51 and looking to re-train as a plumber, ideally with some kind of green credentials (solar heating, ground source heat pump installation, rain water harvesting, grey watyer recycling etc). I have come across New Career Skills and most recently ableskills.co.uk, the latter seem very...
Replies
Views
the royal flush
T
J
Can anyone give me some advice on where to start :confused: I am a 30 year old girl and I'm looking to start a new career in plumbing. I work full time shifts as cabin crew and can't afford to give up work to do a college course, as I work different days/times night school is also a bit tricky...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
J
Hello all, As some of you may know I am trying my hardest to get some volunteer hours with plumbers to up my chances of getting into plumbing as a career, either through an apprenticeship or just buiding up enough experience. Anyway, all plumbers i have spoke to have said that i should...
Replies
Views
fuzzy
F
D
Hello I'm suppose to be starting a city and guilds 6129 plumbing course in January and when the tutor came out he gave the usual about the need for plumbers and how with this course i'd be able to get a job as a plumber,but after reading some of these posts this does not seem to be true...
Replies
Views
danwill
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock